Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Had my dog pts

• 21-03-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I'm not sure why I'm posting this but I had my dog pts on Tuesday. He was 12 and had cancer which had spread, his pain was very difficult to control for the last few weeks. I know logically I had to let him go. But I can't stop crying and feeling like I let him down and that he died feeling upset that I was killing him. I feel like he was just so confused in that last minute as to why I would do this to him. I'm just so hurt for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Wearandtear

Sorry for your loss, the pain must be very raw. I'm sure you made the right, but very difficult decision for your pet. 12 wonderful years were had I'll bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

I'm not sure why I'm posting this but I had my dog pts on Tuesday. He was 12 and had cancer which had spread, his pain was very difficult to control for the last few weeks. I know logically I had to let him go. But I can't stop crying and feeling like I let him down and that he died feeling upset that I was killing him. I feel like he was just so confused in that last minute as to why I would do this to him. I'm just so hurt for him.

What you wrote about him feeling upset in the moment really hit me - I'll never forget the way my fella looked up at me, but I don't think it was upset - I think he was indeed just confused and looking to me for comfort.

It's still very soon and raw for you, but your relationship with your dog isn't defined by your last few moments (unfortunately it's a guaranteed part of having a dog that you're in for a great deal of pain at the end), it consists of the years that you had together, and more than that the bond ye shared.

Very sorry for your loss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Better a week too early than a minute too late OP. Having a pet put out of their misery is the last great kindness we do for them. A loving act that most of us will unfortunately not have the option of when our own time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

try and think of the previous 12 years you had together than the last moments

never an easy thing to have to do just be glad you had the strength to be there when you wer needed most

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I can't imagine what you're going through. Be strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. We went through the same thing in September. My darling lurcher got a very aggressive cancer and it spread so quickly after we thought we had more time. Was only looking at pics of her this morning. You will be raw and upset but know that you absolutely did the right thing. The pain is worse and its no life. We were having to carry ours outside for toileting cos her leg was so swollen. We had to carry her for the last day or two cos her leg had swollen overnight, we weren't being cruel.

It was absolutely the hardest thing I've ever had to do and I will never ever forget being there when they gave her the injection. But please know, it will get better. Grieve and allow yourself the sadness but this will pass. You won't forget your dear pooch but you will start to have fonder memories of the good times you had together. Massive hugs. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, you did the ONLY thing you could have done - put your beloved pet out of its pain. How can you for a second doubt that what you did was right. Would you choose to let your poor dog suffer for even a second if you could prevent it? The process of putting a pet to sleep takes a second. He was probably just looking at you with the trust that all loved pets have for their human. You're feeling bad because you put him to sleep - DONT! If you had the time back again, and the vet said to you will I do this or not, would you say no and let your dog be in pain? The grieving for a pet, a loved part of your family is a long process, he was part of your life for 12 years - take the time to grieve, but dont blame yourself or feel sorry for what you did. You did the only and the right thing. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi all I feel a little better now but the weekend has been long and hard. Everything I did I was reminded that he's gone. I still have desperate guilt and I'm unsure it will ever go but I guess I will have to learn to live with it. Thanks to you all for your kind words x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You are doing fine.. takes time. (((HUGS)))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As others have already said, you did the right thing by him when he needed you to. The only problem with dogs is that their lives are too short. But the reward for you was twelve happy years of unconditional love. Be kind to yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement