Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of neutering

Options
  • 06-03-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Mod note: Thread split away from old thread. Some old posts remain quoted in this thread.

Hi there, anybody know if they have have found a vet who doesnt cost the earth to neuter our dog in any part of dublin or wicklow, he is approx. 24 months old. Thanks so much, we were quoted 180 euros.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

brookers wrote: »
    Hi there, anybody know if they have have found a vet who doesnt cost the earth to neuter our dog in any part of dublin or wicklow, he is approx. 24 months old. Thanks so much, we were quoted 180 euros.

180euro sounds about right i would have thought - i paid 200euro 10 year ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Knine wrote: »
    6 mths old is very young to neuter a large dog. If you must get him neutered I would wait until he is fully mature to help avoid any joint/bone issues especially as he gets older!

We recently got a puppy from <snip> and hes booked in with them in April for neutering. He will be 6 months approx. Hes currently 18kg in weight, hes a collie/shepherd or collie/lab cross.
    I'm nervous about getting this done, given his size and breed, is he in the category that should wait a little longer perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

terrydel wrote: »
    We recently got a puppy from <snip> and hes booked in with them in April for neutering. He will be 6 months approx. Hes currently 18kg in weight, hes a collie/shepherd or collie/lab cross.
    I'm nervous about getting this done, given his size and breed, is he in the category that should wait a little longer perhaps?

It's likely your contract will state that he needs to be neutured by a certain age.

I feel really conflicted about this question. If I had my own pup I'd not neuter until later, if at all. However, I understand rescues requiring this. They can be (understandably) cynical about people's ability to prevent mating and I 100% get their reasoning. If you're really passionate about delaying, I'd call up the rescue with all the research to hand, ask if you can send it onto them, along with details as to how you're going to ensure he is kept away from intact bitches over the next 6 months - 1 year, and then see what they say. However, given the rescue in question, I imagine they'll have standard procedures and I'd doubt they'll make an exception. Worth a try though - I know a situation with a smaller rescue where they have made exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Neutering cost largely depends on the weight of the dog so I'm not sure people here can really give you accurate quotes. The heavier the dog, the more anesthetic that is needed for example.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The GA is what drives up the cost. Bailey got a tooth out a few weeks ago and the sedation / GA made up most of the bill! Bear in mind OP if anything goes wrong you want to be near your vet not miles away so I'd always go for somewhere closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

terrydel wrote: »

Id got my cocker neutered at 6 months and if I could do it all over again I would have waited until he was nearly fully grown .. say 18 months or so

Can early neutering lead to issues... possibly .... my guy has hip dysplasia (only diagnosed at 11 years of age) studies suggest there is a link........ they don't know for sure

I suppose it comes down to the owner unfortunately there are owners who wouldn't be super careful during the growing stage and end up with a litter but for me id be overly careful, allow the dog to grow, the neuter / spay.. its all down to the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I got my Airedale (25kg) neutered 4 weeks ago for €40.

It was through my local SPCA who received funding from a Government Department in order to subsidise the cost.

The SPCA gave me a code that I gave to the vets so they could claim the difference back.

So maybe enquire locally and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I know this is based in Wexford, but the WSPCA is neutering and spraying cats and dogs this month for €25 for Cats and €50 for Dogs. Have my German Shepherd booked in for next week. Places are going quickly .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just before I left Kerry a small rescue had a "Fix it for a fiver" offer. My two ferals were fixed,, well worth looking at local papers etc

Previously I had always managed to get rescues done on vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

If you get in touch with your local animal charity e.g. <snip> they will give you the name of a vet that will do neutering at a favourable rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement