Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaelscoil Dundalk

• 02-03-2019 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Does anybody have any feedback on Gaelscoil Dun Dealgan?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Pandabear2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody have any feedback on Gaelscoil Dun Dealgan?

Thanks

What do you need to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pandabear2

Ok sorry I should explain....just wondering if anybody has sent their kids there and if its a good school or not. I'd like to send my kids to a Gaelscoil but only if that Gaelscoil is also a good school. I am new to the area and would just like to get local feedback. I read the inspectors report and it mentioned issues with attendance which sounded worrying:

"The low level of attendance of a number of pupils is a significant matter and the staff recognises that such challenges need to be addressed by them when providing education."

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pandabear2 wrote:
    "The low level of attendance of a number of pupils is a significant matter and the staff recognises that such challenges need to be addressed by them when providing education."

Would have no impact on your kids really. This is more noting that the school will put in place some measures to increase attendance among those who are below accepted levels.

Why a gaelscoil though for your kids? Personally don't see why they are flavour of the month. When I first started out in teaching I got ALOT of subbing in them all over the place. Standard of spoken and written English I found to be very low with a high enough % of the children which could be an issue in exam situations further down the line

Would have no impact on your kids really. This is more noting that the school will put in place some measures to increase attendance among those who are below accepted levels.

Why a gaelscoil though for your kids? Personally don't see why they are flavour of the month. When I first started out in teaching I got ALOT of subbing in them all over the place. Standard of spoken and written English I found to be very low with a high enough % of the children which could be an issue in exam situations further down the line

Interestingly, any report I have read has said that pupils attending Gaelscoileanna consistently obtain better results in English than those attending English medium schools

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be interested to know where the schools with difficulties in English were, it was never my experience in any school I have worked in .
    But in any case, I'd prefer actual research finding, rather than the experiences of two random people on boards!

All the research shows that whilst children may be slower initially to pick up English reading and writing , they significantly outstrip their English medium peers by 6th class.
    Bilingualism at an early age has also

http://www.gaelport.com/default.aspx?treeid=37&NewsItemID=7147%20

https://www.irishtimes.com/student-hub/usi-calls-on-parents-to-send-children-to-gaelscoileanna-1.2451507

https://www.rte.ie/gaeilge/2018/0705/976561-an-bhfuil-cead-agam-dul-go-dti-an-leithreas/

I looked at the WSE- the school has disadvantaged status, which may explain why there are some poor attenders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement