Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to die

Options
  • 14-02-2019 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

My darling girl will be 11 on Friday. Two weeks ago I noticed a wet patch in the bed, she sleeps with me in my bed. It was urine, I thought it was was an accident. Last night I noticed another small wet patch in my bed.

Took her to the vet this morning, and thought it was just geriatric incontinence as did the vet but she suggested an ultrasound scan.

She has a massive tumour in her belly, pressing against all her internal organs, and her bladder. Surgery is not an option, 10% chance of her making it through the anaesthetic.

She is showing no symptoms, eating normally, and being her usual self.

I'm absolutely devastated, don't know how I'll live without her. I don't know what to do. Id rather let her go a week early than two minutes too late. I am heartbroken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

I am so sorry to hear about your poor girl. You must be devastated. My girl is 9 and I had her at the vets last week. It's always a fear you will hear bad news and I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't really know what to say except enjoy the time you have left together and give thanks for the 11 years of love and happiness you shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So So sorry OP I have no advice only look after yourself spend as much time with her as you can XX thinking of you at the difficult time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

So sorry for you OP. we went through that with one of our a little more than a year ago. She went for a check up, then 2 days later started eating less so we brought her down and we also had the ultra scan which showed massive kidney tumours.

Like you little to no other symptoms.

I’m sure time will help to heal your broken heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

My Aggie will be gone a year at Easter time, she was 14 and had problems with her liver. It's heartbreaking but the only solace is that I know I gave her the best possible life and I loved her so much. I'm sure you can say the same thing about your wee darling, you have done everything you possibly could and you gave them your heart and your home, they'll go knowing they were loved and cared for x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You poor thing, and your poor pet!

We had the same here with a terrier a few years ago: one day she wouldn't lie down and seemed swollen, vet did an ultrasound and she had numerous liver tumors. If she had gotten through the surgery she'd have had another year or so, and would have spent months on crate rest recuperating. I was heartbroken, but it's true what they say: better a day too early than a day too late.

Hugs to you and your little treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

As long as she's not in pain then everything is perfectly wonderful as far as she is concerned. She doesn't know there's anything wrong, every day is a good day. I got a lot of comfort from reminding myself that my chap was blissfully oblivious to every bit of bad news we got.

I had always said I'd let him go six months early rather than a minute late, but I still spent a lot of time worrying about the inevitable end. Would I be able to make the phonecall to make an appointment? Would I be able to bring him through the door of the vet? When the time came I amazed myself. I absolutely knew it was the right thing to do, and I was the only person who could do it so even though my heart was breaking it wasn't agonising. The staff at the vet were so nice and so thoughtful that the experience was strangely sweet despite the tears.

Enjoy the days for now. It will be a huge comfort to you to be able to look back and tell yourself you gave her the best possible life. When the time comes you'll surprise yourself with how well you cope. It certainly doesn't help to do your mourning in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CarolineBee

Oh my heart goes out to you...
    Take comfort that she has no symptoms and is totally unaware of what’s going on.
    Maybe take the time you’ve got to indulge her, and yourself, in adding to your 11 years of memories.

When the time comes take strength in being there for her and knowing how much love has passed between you both.

Big hugs x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know how this feels but it sounds as if she still has a reasonable quality of life so you just need to keep it that way as long as possible. And cherish this time no matter how long or short it is, spoil her that little bit extra and create those memories that last forever.

You really will surprise yourself at how you cope, it’s like being on autopilot for a while and when that goes you just find a way through. There’s going to be times your heart races and you burst into tears but they get less and less as time passes.

Anyway let’s not focus on that for now, just enjoy the time you have left together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Thank you all for your kind words. All I can do is sob incessantly. I cannot believe that I am going to have to carry on living without her. I knew the day would come, of course I did.Just not now.

All I can do is give thanks that she is at the moment enjoying her life.I would love to think that she was unaware, but I think she knows. She is excited to go out, annoying the cat, barking at the postman and any old poor individual who happens to walk past the front door. Her appetite is fine, and I am indulging her as much as I can without overloading her poor tummy. I requested painkillers from my vet and have been given Tramadol for her twice a day.

She seems to have slowed down in her movements a lot this last week, and I am helping her onto my bed as she is not keen to jump.Her tummy seems to be a lot more swollen :( Whatever this is, it is extremely aggressive, there was no sign at all until about three weeks ago when she wet my bed. She does not appear to be in pain, just uncomfortable trying to shift position as she sleeps. I am not sleeping at night AT ALL.

Terrified that she will suddenly be in pain or have a seizure in the night or something. I have decided that I will call my vet to my home when I think the time is right, I have another dog, a Labrador, and he will at least be able to see her, rather than me leaving the house with her and her never re appearing again. I'm heartbroken for him.

Everything is on hold. I don't want to leave the house.I haven't left the house. I want to spend every single second with her. Feel dead inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Reading that,my heart is absolutely aching for you.
    It's the hardest thing in the world,but you're doing the right thing.Will be thinking of you.xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

What a lovely pic of her ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

She's a beautiful girl.. Big kind eyes. You're doing everything u can for her, enjoy you're time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Judy is so beautiful and you are making her last days so loving and comfortable. You will be able to go on knowing you were her soul mate through it all and always did right by her to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I couldn't not post on here. I went through this last year and posted on here for advice.

You will know when it's time to let her go. Your head will question it over and over and you'll try to talk yourself out of it but when you love your dog as much as you do, you will know that she's ready.

On a practical note, I asked the vet to come to my home when it was time and she was able to go to sleep cuddled up with me on her favourite couch. It was bittersweet - so painful but yet it's the memory that gives me most comfort. It was the last thing I could do to show her how much I loved her.

In the meantime make lots of happy memories, go to all her favourite places, let her have her favourite foods, lots and lots of cuddles. These moments are the ones that will keep you going when your heart is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Just found this thread now. I feel so sad for you and Judy. See looks like a sweetheart and is lucky to have such a caring owner. She will be wondering what you are so upset about. Just give her lots of love and look after yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

just reading this now.
    hope you're enjoying every day with Judy. she looks a sweetheart.
    we have our little westie. shes 12. in excellent form except for a benign growth that comes back every 3 months in her anus.
    our wonderful vet removes it and she bounces back like new. she's due to get it done again Monday and we'll spend the day worrying and waiting until its time to go and get her.
    to us, she is the world:)

Today is very hard, I've called the vet and made arrangements for Thursday evening.

I'm trying so hard to be calm in front of Judy, but just feeling hysterical now that I know when her last day will be.

She is ok.but not ok. She is her usual self, but not. I can tell, as no one else can. She refused her food yesterday, and gobbled breakfast this morning. Yesterday she was so slow on her walk, today she attempted to run.

I know it's time, before she gets to the point of having actual pain instead of discomfort, and I know she has no pain right now.

I am dreading it. I will be so lonely without her, I love her so much its actual physical pain just at the thought of being without her. I know I'm making the right decision. For Judy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I am so very sorry for you Op and your beautiful Judy. I wish I could find words to comfort you but there aren't any. But you are doing everything right and will have no regrets. Thinking of you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Sobbing reading this, my heart goes out to you. XxX

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I’m so sorry you have to make this decision, your courage and selfless love for Judy is palpable.

Sending you hugs for the days ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I'm so sorry. What a beautiful girl. I don't really have anything to say, other than I'm so so sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh this has me in tears...floods to be honest. I really do feel for you. As someone who has been there before, you will take comfort in the fact that you are doing the most selfless, kind thing for Judy. It's the last act of kindness we can do for our pets when the time comes. Enjoy every moment with Judy and spoil her rotten. We'll all be thinking of you and gorgeous Judy.

Thank you for your kind words, I know there is no comfort for me,it is pure agony.
    Don't know how I'm going to get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

She is just beautiful. Tears streaming down my face. Hopefully she'll have some lovely weather and a nice little sun trap to enjoy over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Hi Dragona. My heart goes out to you. Went through the same situation last year when we lost ours. Like you, we knew the day in advance as we had to take him to our Vet as he had been slowly worsening from kidney failure and we did not want him to suffer. You are doing the right thing for your beautiful Judy and that thought hopefully will help you get through this. Treasure the wonderful memories as she will always have a special place in your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just know in your heart of hearts you are 100% doing the kindest and most loving thing you can. I've been there and it so tough but you'll be glad you did the right thing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It is physical pain and it’s not something you can understand until you experience it. Some people that don’t know what it’s like think you bring silly but it’s real. You will get through, i know to well it doesn’t feel like it just now but you will.

This might not be something you can think about at the moment but if you can afford individual cremation I highly recommend it. That’s what we done and it feels like we have a little piece of him in the house forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So sorry - just one practical suggestion - if you can, arrange for the vet to do a home visit at the end. It will be so much less stressful for you and Judy to be at home in familiar surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

four years ago on a most perfect june day my son had to see his little fella, a terrier and a terror :) leave this world but not our hearts.
    it was the hardest decision he had to make but in the end he decided that little fella's quality of life and health had deteriorated so badly that it couldnt continue.

we cried for him and with him and have never forgotten our little fella and there's hardly a day we dont mention him and remember something funny or silly he did.
    my son realises that while a heart breaking decision it was one that came with being a little dog's owner.

my heart is breaking for you and your doggie. i will be thinking of you both thursday and sending you strength and peace.
    take care and be proud of being such a wonderfully caring person.

• Advertisement

We had a lovely long walk today down the canal, the sun was shining, said hello to a couple of dog friends. Had a long conversation with her, explaining it all. She just smiled at me, and went about the business of peeing on everything.

She knows, and I believe she is not afraid, or in pain.

I lost my beloved black Labrador, Vito, nearly 11 years ago from a horrific disease, he had leishmaniasis, and Judy as a tiny pup was a great comfort to me. I am in so much pain, all I can do is cry. And yes it's a physical pain my chest feels like it's been punched repeatedly.

He was individually cremated, and that's what I'll do again. My vet is lovely and will come to my home. I feel like a zombie,as if my life isn't real.

Advertisement