Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegetables 2019 - GIY "how-to"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

madmaggie wrote: »
    Wearandtear, there are carrot fly resistant varieties of seeds out there now. Otherwise put up a barrier of fleece around them. I grow them in a raised bed, which helps a bit.

Alternating rows of carrots and onions also works well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indoors in trays; peas and broad beans doing well. The trays are in a large clear plastic crate and out lidless in the day.

Peas and broad beans planted out a few days ago in a sheltered spot and thriving. Covering at night if frost forecast and all trays now outside and coming up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The mister has cleared out some of our veg beds, we're going to build a new one for spuds this year to start a proper rotation system. I finally treated myself to a (very basic) propagator after the wintery March from last year, so hoping to get some seeds planted amárach!

On my wishlist this year are tomatoes, red onions, shallots, pumpkins, beets, celeriac, and carrots! First time for the latter two so we'll see how that goes.

Oh and got a dwarf cherry tree for the greenhouse! And a dwarf pear tree for the elements. Two of our blueberry plants are already flowering, they're relatively young but should see more berries this year. Yay! 'Tis the season.

Oooohh, is the cherry tree self fertile? And do you grow it in a large pot or just plant straight in the soil, I've always fancied a peach or 2 when I finally get my tunnel back up...
    But cherries' d probably be more productive... (and simple)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Garlic is sprouting. Fruit trees have loads of flowers. Already had a crop of rhubarb.

First lot of kitchen propagated peas are out

Advertisement