Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the internet had never been invented?

• 05-11-2018 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've popped into Boards a few times this evening but mostly I've been watching Youtube videos. My time is being eaten up by the internet but its my own fault. Trying to think what would I be doing if there was no such thing as the internet. I might possibly be crafting in some way or other, or writing stories as I used to do. I know my garden would look a lot better than it does at the moment. If the internet was just down for the night I might start to twitch a bit. Not sure I could survive without it now. What would you be doing if there was no such thing as the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We read books, watched tv, went outside.

Life was fine, I’m not saying it was better, but it’s certainly not better now either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What we did before the Internet. Reading, playing board games, cards, etc. Writing letters and devouring a morning and evening newspaper. Radio and TV of course were well established before the Net, so they're probably rule the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If you wanted to find out something, you went to the library instead of looking on google: or you consulted an encyclopaedia.
    Instead of facebook, phone a friend.
    Instead of YouTube, the radio, television, and the cinema.
    and lots of just sitting and reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

We'd be happier and I say that as someone who has tech running pretty much every aspect of my life - banking, social life , holidays, health - the whole lot.

We would go back to knocking on the neighbours door for a chat.

We would understand why the post office is the source of all life to the elderly population.

We would be down the Disco chasing Mary from Number 24 who we would marry at the first positive response rather than swiping right for another disposable shag.

We would go to visit the travel agent to book the annual holiday.

Pop down to the bank to Lodge the wages, sort out the mortgage and have a natter about local politics.

The time of the next bus to arrive would be a complete surprise.

Medical problems would be addressed by visiting a doctor rather than Google telling us everything is a sign of cancer.

Masturbation would be based on imagination.

Complaints departments would deal with actual complaints rather than snowflakes moaning on Twitter about how awful their "interaction" with the business was.

Life would be inefficient - exactly as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think Jellybaby is aware of all these answers, and of course they are all true. And I agree with her, it wastes an awful lot of time.

On the other hand its great company, invaluable for learning and keeps one in touch (too much sometimes) with the news etc. I still read quite a lot, and craft sometimes, but at the moment crafting's not such an easy option, and the internet keeps me going. I do not watch television, after 12 months of not bothering to tune in the channels I haven't even got access to tv now, and I don't miss it.

Also so far this evening I have chatted with a friend in Dublin, a daughter in Waterford and another one in Galway. One famous Christmas when everything went awry, for various reasons of health, travelling etc, four of us in America, UK and a couple of bits of Ireland group skyped and did crosswords and chatted on Christmas afternoon, and it was lovely.

I depend on it too much, certainly in the rather odd circumstances I am living at the moment, but I wouldn't be completely without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The time of the next bus to arrive would be a complete surprise

It's still a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's still a surprise

You got there before me! :D

Earlier I watched a Youtube video by a woman who runs a permaculture home/garden. I sat and watched as she wandered her garden aiming the camera at this and that, talking about basically nothing much at all. She has a very simple lifestyle. I'd describe her as the airy-fairy type but to each their own. She has a blog, a Youtube channel and an Etsy account so she still relies on modern technology. I sat there thinking, what am I doing watching this woman, if I stopped watching, and started doing, I just might create something similar myself, though whether I have the wherewithall is another matter. :rolleyes: I'm toying with the idea of disconnecting from the internet for a few days to see if I really do twitch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Then: 30 years ago, putting the raincoat on and walking 15 mins to the nearest phone box to call the GF... Button A...

Now: (apparently) getting run over by a Luas while snapchatting is all the rage....

Steve wrote: »
    Then: 30 years ago, putting the raincoat on and walking 15 mins to the nearest phone box to call the GF... Button A...

Now: (apparently) getting run over by a Luas while snapchatting is all the rage....

I've been on the Luas, and buses, and watched while seemingly 'intelligent' people just wander across the road in front of said Luas and bus while looking at their phones, and I've seen it done by people pushing a child in a buggy. Have we switched off from reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'll get me coat...

That's a really good idea, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What would you be doing if there was no such thing as the internet?
    I'd be missing youse guys!
    Well, not really. :D

It'd be Minecraft and photography tying up my time.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'd be missing youse guys!
    Well, not really. :D ....

I almost started to well up for a minute. Then I got a lemon drop! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For we who live in far off places, especially those of us who are all but housebound, the internet is a great blessing.

I order my groceries online, from the supermarket web site....enjoy learning and entertainment from youtube... knitting for sales to support the overseas work my extended family does while I am watching.... keep in touch with friends I will probably never see again....Learn about gardening, wild life...recipes...

It is a wonder. Oh and I read online too.. gutenberg have so many books..

For me as I get more and more confined, it is a freedom

I've been on the Luas, and buses, and watched while seemingly 'intelligent' people just wander across the road in front of said Luas and bus while looking at their phones, and I've seen it done by people pushing a child in a buggy. Have we switched off from reality?

That is horrendous. I see it a lot too. People are scared of being alone, out of touch.

_Brian wrote: »
    We read books, watched tv, went outside.

Life was fine, I’m not saying it was better, but it’s certainly not better now either.

For me, life with the internet is better by far. I still read books. A lot, ditched TV decades ago. I still go outside too!

But as I get more and more housebound, the internet keeps me in touch with life outside these walls. Keeps me mentally alert, making contact with loved ones, helping me to stay independent also. it is very much a lifeline.

So yes, life IS better.

Graces7 wrote: »
    For we who live in far off places, especially those of us who are all but housebound, the internet is a great blessing.

I order my groceries online, from the supermarket web site....enjoy learning and entertainment from youtube... knitting for sales to support the overseas work my extended family does while I am watching.... keep in touch with friends I will probably never see again....Learn about gardening, wild life...recipes...

It is a wonder. Oh and I read online too.. gutenberg have so many books..

For me as I get more and more confined, it is a freedom

And here was I thinking you lived a hermit's life Graces! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I almost started to well up for a minute. Then I got a lemon drop! :(
    I'm sure I've said this before that the Dutch have a lovely saying,
    "You made me happy...with a dead sparrow!"

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

I suppose the key to the internet is how we use it.
    Some people use it some people seem to depend on it and if the internet ?Broadband goes down their life is thrown into disarray!
    The internet can and does make life better and easier in lots of ways but it can never be an alternative for real personal interaction like a chat over a cuppa or a pint.

And here was I thinking you lived a hermit's life Graces! :D

I do. Absolutely. Hermits were always far more sociable/caring than folk think these days, and I regulate my online time strictly. rarely see me after 3 or 4 pm until the next day.

Everyone here knows that I close at 4 pm and that is respected.

Hermit life is not reclusive or unhealthy. And I have no acolyte to shop etc for me. Soon I will be totally housebound and this way I can avoid being a burden etc.

• Advertisement

I suppose the key to the internet is how we use it.
    Some people use it some people seem to depend on it and if the internet ?Broadband goes down their life is thrown into disarray!
    The internet can and does make life better and easier in lots of ways but it can never be an alternative for real personal interaction like a chat over a cuppa or a pint.

Which is great indeed but rarely available for some of us. My illness makes casual personal contact draining. and immune issues also are challenging. cafes and others houses are OUT. I am now almost never off island and that is fine. I came here for the peace and physical solitude. still have good friendships with my neighbours within my health and other restrictions. amazing how much we can chat and share on the ferry,

personal interaction does not need for folk to be together physically.

We all and each use this medium as is best for us. for me an enrichment ... but i was five months without power or internet and that was fine too.

Advertisement