Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Thats a brilliant twitter thread. Tomic is being shown up for the idiot he actually is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Thats a brilliant twitter thread. Tomic is being shown up for the idiot he actually is.

I don't know if idiot is the right word. I mean, he is a bit but there's obviously some serious issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I don't know if idiot is the right word. I mean, he is a bit but there's obviously some serious issues there.

True. A better representation of what i mean is that i find much of his behaviour idiotic.

I'm no expert but he seems like someone who had every aspect of his life controlled from a very early age and doesn't have a clue how to function as an adult. It's kind of sad but at the same time he's had plenty of offers of help.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Apparently he promised that psychic wan in the jungle he was going to seek help when he leaves.. but I can't help but feel he'll be pictured rolling out of some nightclub the moment he lands back in Australia.

• Advertisement

Apparently he promised that psychic wan in the jungle he was going to seek help when he leaves.. but I can't help but feel he'll be pictured rolling out of some nightclub the moment he lands back in Australia.

Are they not in Australia?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No, the Australian one is filmed in South Africa.

No, the Australian one is filmed in South Africa.

That's mad. It's not like they're all living in the Aussie jungle 24/7 in their normal lives.
    It wasn't always in South Africa, was it? I remember reading one year how they had to evacuate the camp because an escaped convict or something was on the loose in the area. Sure that was in Australia. Anyway, it's irrelevant now Bernie is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Is there any chance at all that somebody other than Rafa will win the French this year? Who are the most likely?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is there any chance at all that somebody other than Rafa will win the French this year? Who are the most likely?

Well will be easier to know closer to the time, but Federer and Murray probably won't play, and difficult to know where Djokovic will be then. Thiem is a possibility is he realises that playing a tournament almost every second week isn't a good idea. If he's healthy then a redlining Wawrinka is usually the best shot, but right now it doesn't look like there'll be many who can realistically challenge him.

Lisicki is into the Taipei QF's in her comeback tournament, as well as Bouchard, who's won consecutive matches for the first time since May. Mladenovic has finally snapped her losing streak, beating Cibulkova and winning a match for the first time since July.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise Lisicki had surgery. I thought she'd just faded into obscurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ireland got promoted in Davis cup last year but not sending their best two players to the first match today. Apparently James McGee doesn't have the funding to go on tour this year. Given the corruption which led to the appointment of former FAI man Richard Fahey over a highly qualified candidate its no surprise Tennis Ireland remains in the doldrums.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ireland got promoted in Davis cup last year but not sending their best two players to the first match today. Apparently James McGee doesn't have the funding to go on tour this year. Given the corruption which led to the appointment of former FAI man Richard Fahey over a highly qualified candidate its no surprise Tennis Ireland remains in the doldrums.

Where did you hear that about James? I can't find anything about it. Cause I mean if tennis Ireland can't even send our best player on tour for the year, Idk...

Where did you hear that about James? I can't find anything about it. Cause I mean if tennis Ireland can't even send our best player on tour for the year, Idk...

Dave Miley Tennis on Facebook. Reputable source.

I don't know, McGee will be 31 in a few months. Depending on how much Tennis Ireland has to spend there's probably an argument to be made for giving it to the younger players who might still achieve things like Simon Carr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Reports that Djokovic has had surgery on his hand... in Switzerland. No word on how long he'll be out.

Either way, McGee is still our best player by a long shot. He's made a grand slam main draw, albeit only once, and has been close on a number of other occasions. I find it very difficult to believe that they can't muster up the money some place, I mean how much would he even need? Where's all the extortionate club fees that people pay going? I'd seriously question TI's dedication to their players, particularly given the fact how little they even bother promoting them on social media, as James himself noted. I wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact James publicly called them out when they appointed someone from the FAI (!) as their new CEO.

Anyway, Mladenovic is into the St. Petersburg final, hugely impressive given she's coming off a fifteen match losing streak. She'll play Kvitova for the title.

I'm sure McGee said once that it would take about 50k to fund just a player on the tour for a year. If you want a coach or anyone else with you it doubles.

I'm not saying they should just sack him off but if money is tight there has to come a point where you think about spreading the cash over two or three younger players that might still kick on to bigger things.

Of course with all things Irish there is always the possibility of corruption or dodgy dealings.

It's farcically corrupt, not even subtle. Same in most higher echelons of Irish sport. I remember Derval O Rourke tweeting about opening of the national indoor centre in Abbotstown and the board was 12 businessmen with zero athletics experience. Just jobs for the lads spread out among the high paying CEO and similarly elite positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Has anybody ever bought tickets to the ATP finals in London? You can get presale tickets at the moment for any of the group stage days, but not for the semis/final.

Tbh my main concern would be to see Federer, so buying a ticket for the group stage gives me a 50% chance of that (assuming he qualifies). Do semi finals tickets become publicly available in the general sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Has anybody ever bought tickets to the ATP finals in London? You can get presale tickets at the moment for any of the group stage days, but not for the semis/final.

Tbh my main concern would be to see Federer, so buying a ticket for the group stage gives me a 50% chance of that (assuming he qualifies). Do semi finals tickets become publicly available in the general sale?

Semi-final and final tickets are available in general sale. I got one a few years ago, Federer vs. Tsonga. Great atmosphere at it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Apparently Fed has taken a wildcard for Rotterdam :eek::eek: Will be World No 1 if he reaches the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Great decision and delighted I can see the great man sooner rather than later. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Why not! Loves the indoors and I'm sure he'll get the number 1 back.

He feels good now and I'd doubt we'll see him between Indian Wells and Grass Court Season so he may aswell play here and maybe even Dubai

Post Meldonium life is rough for Sharapova, losing to Niculescu in Doha :eek:

So that lovely Macedonian Darko Grncarov kinda isn't real

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

So that lovely Macedonian Darko Grncarov kinda isn't real

Oh man that's awesome. I didn't hear anything about that.

I wonder if he's a top tier troll or just a bit touched.

He apparently gave an interview on TV in Macedonia "in character" so I'd say top tier :)

I remember looking him up and thinking his story was amazing but I did find it odd that none of the pictures he posted ever had his face in them. Didn’t quite make the leap to this being the reason though :)

• Advertisement

It was a terrific article by the usually clownish Rothenberg. In the immediate fallout it seems a lot of people were suspicious for a long time, or perhaps they're just saying that to avoid looking stupid now. I believed his story offhand, I guess cause I had no reason not to? Perhaps if I cared enough and dug a little deeper then I'd have got suspicious. The only thing that did strike me as odd was how vocally he apparently supported gay rights given the part of the world he's from. So yeah, very odd indeed.

So he's only ever played one professional match, and that was a 0-6 0-6 loss in the first round of a qualifying tournament in Montenegro? For sh*ts and giggles I'd love if the ATP actually did give him a WC into one of those tournaments he claimed he was gonna get one into :pac: I still have a lot of questions after reading the article though, I mean do we even know what he looks like? Is that one minute video from Macedonian tv actually him? And who is this guy that often shows up in searches for him? And how did he not get rumbled sooner when most of his photos/videos were being taken from the account of a Spanish junior player? An amazing story, overall.

It's a bit crazy he's now rejoined Twitter, he's either an epic troll or a headcase, but either way the game's up now.

Advertisement