Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

clock stops on death of relation

• 15-06-2017 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

My nanny once told me that when her father died (at home in bed) the clock in the family home stopped! has this ever happened to anyone else? I have always found the story fascinating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Yes, it happened to me at the death of my grandmother.

It's creepy but you have to remember all of the other times your clock or watch stopped. In many cases it's during a non-significant event but we latch onto the significant one and try to overstate it's importance.

This kind of thing happens a lot. You might dream of something before it happens in real life and you might label yourself as slightly psychic because of this, without considering that the 1000 other dreams you had on different days didn't come true! :)

It's confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm sure there's a song about that . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chaka84

I remember the same thing happening with my grandfather. When we were bringing him into hospital he wanted to bring a clock. We picked up one clock and he told us he didn't want that one because it always stops, so we brought another one which he said never stops. The one that we brought then stopped at the time of his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wistfuleyes

Isn't there a song about this - my grandfather's clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

When my granny died a few months later I smelt what reassembled her perfume in my house and a few other places.I can't think of any explanation just that she was there.Has this happened to anyone else?I wasn't a believer in the after life but question it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

These stories always involve grandparents. What's with the grandparents, people? Has nobody's clock ever stopped on the death of a second cousin once removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Hahaha i am loving all the replies guys! I've always been really interested in the story. I always found the timing intriguing as the clock had been watched and listened to for a few days (he was quite a young man who was very sick and died in the bedroom) with no issue. I just thought I would share the experience and see if any others had had similar things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Isn't there a song about this - my grandfather's clock?

Yup I remember learning it a looooong time ago...

My grandfather's clock was too tall for the shelf so it stood ninety years on the floor,
    It was taller by far than the old man himself but it weighed not a penny weight more,
    It was bought on the morn of the day that he was born,
    And it always was his pleasure and pride
    Till it stopped ... short ... never to go again when the old man died.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

how do you know it was time of death? Was someone staring at the clock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Disclaimer - I am totally not superstitious or even religious.

However ... I have a Seiko quartz watch that is bulletproof reliable. Loses about a second a month. I was discussing driving to my dad's funeral that my dad hadn't given any signs from the afterlife. After saying that, I looked at my watch.

I then got in a bit of a panic and said we are an hour and a half too early for the funeral ... turns out my bulletproof Seiko watch had stopped. I reset the time, set it going and it worked flawlessly since until I replaced the battery a few months ago ... 5 years after my dad's funeral.

NOTE ... it didn't stop at the time of his death, only afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

lawred2 wrote: »
    how do you know it was time of death? Was someone staring at the clock?

Not sure if its just TV or Films dont they fight about who calls time of death?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

They basically knew he was dying and all the children were called in to say goodbye to him before he passed and I guess somewhere between the children going in and him passing a family member spotted that the clock had stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Could it be that they aren't around to wind the clock like they usually do so it runs down?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    These stories always involve grandparents. What's with the grandparents, people? Has nobody's clock ever stopped on the death of a second cousin once removed?

Grandparents are more likely to own a clock that requires regular winding. If the grandparent who usually wound the clock is either dying or distracted by the imminent death of a spouse, the liklihood of the the clock not being wound and the spring mechanism winding down is increased. Most will wind themselves down over 3-5 days. Some in less time.

Sorry if this comes on all 'rational explanation'...

professore wrote: »
    NOTE ... it didn't stop at the time of his death, only afterwards.
    Interestingly enough, with the notable exception (as far as observation allows, and current thinking agrees) of the Big Bang, every single thing that ever happened occurred after something else happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

endacl wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, with the notable exception (as far as observation allows, and current thinking agrees) of the Big Bang, every single thing that ever happened occurred after something else happened.

that would only matter if the something else is always related to what happens after. otherwise its a bit of an obvious observation

maccored wrote: »
    that would only matter if the something else is always related to what happens after. otherwise its a bit of an obvious observation
    Not really. We're predisposed as a species to manufacture causative connections where none actually exist. Hence superstition, the paranormal, and anti-vaxxers.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Not really. We're predisposed as a species to manufacture causative connections where none actually exist. Hence superstition and the paranormal
    And the strange inclination of sceptics to keep posting on these threads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

I know in old irish traditions that people would stop the clocks in the house when a person dies for a while after the persons death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

M.Pool wrote: »
    Yup I remember learning it a looooong time ago...

My grandfather's clock was too tall for the shelf so it stood ninety years on the floor,
    It was taller by far than the old man himself but it weighed not a penny weight more,
    It was bought on the morn of the day that he was born,
    And it always was his pleasure and pride
    Till it stopped ... short ... never to go again when the old man died.

Well fair play to you. I too learned that song in school. Class 4B St Canice's NCR 1965. Couldn't remember the words though.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Not really. We're predisposed as a species to manufacture causative connections where none actually exist. Hence superstition, the paranormal, and anti-vaxxers.

:D

massively over-simplified. we are predisposed to seek out faces, hence Pareidolia etc. anti-vaxxers are the result of society, the rise of social media and how everyone thinks they are an expert compared to an actual doctor (plus excessive profit making from the parma industry isnt helping) while superstition and the paranormal arent related at all.

And the strange inclination of sceptics to keep posting on these threads

I wouldnt call endacl a skeptic - being skeptical is good as that means educating oneself on a subject. imo, endacl is a armchair cynic who waxes lyrica/ about a subject he/she doesnt have much idea of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Yup my dads alarm clock stopped at the exact track me he died. We moved house 2 years afterwards and when we opened the box the clock was it, it started going again

Advertisement