Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all,

Just working my way through the application and am at page 2. I have saved it for now. Is there anything I should be watching out for or to take note of? Or is it a straight forward application...
    Do I need hard/soft copies of my uni results to hand when completing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

Hey does anybody know where you can find out what last year's points PGDE requirements to actually get offer the course...I can't find ant other than 2006's...:(:(

:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Hey does anybody know where you can find out what last year's points PGDE requirements to actually get offer the course...I can't find ant other than 2006's...:(:(

:cool::cool:

http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/points.php?inst=pe . Note the points calculation was slightly different last year to 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Firstly sorry if this has been posted already I just can't find a definitive answer I hope maybe someone can help me.

If you are applying for the pgde on your penultimate year results and are offered a place, but in the summer when you get your degree rsults these aren't enough to get you a place i.e. you pass but don't get the necessary high 2.1 etc. does this mean you don't get to do the pgde?? Or because your 2nd yeart results are high enough that as long as you pass your final year you're in??
    Thanks a mil people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Hi,

Quick question for you guys re points calculation.

I've a BBS degree - got a 2.1 (66% average - I think that matters)
    I've also a taught Masters degree.

Does this mean I have 51 points as per: http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

45 points for degree and 6 for Masters r am I calculating it totally wrong?

Also, on the application form where it says
    "Teaching Subjects *:

Please state your proposed Teaching Subjects which must be taken to Degree level."

Does this mean I would just put down Business as this was the subject my degree and Masters was in?

Or would I put down Business and maybe a second subject that I'm interested in? i.e Geography as is offered here in UCC:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/pgdip/education/
    Thanks

looder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Random question: can I apply to the PGDE using a pen and paper? I'm having crazy trouble with the online method. I can't find anywhere to print off an application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 smcmaths

you can only apply online at www.pac.ie, there is no longer an option to apply by post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all,

I sent off my undergrad to the TC last week to get a subject assessed. Do I have to wait until I get confirmation of this before I can continue with the application and make the payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

looder - points calculation looks right. subjects should only be what your degree is in - so if that's just 1 subject thats all you put down

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

hey - applying for pgde
    2 problems
    1 - finished a master's in sep but no sign of results. can't use it in the application unless i've graduated. anyone else had to deal with this? Gonna be pretty annoyed if i have to wait around for an extra year because they can't be arsed to read my thesis.
    2 - my transcript gives an overall grade but not an overall percentage. I can just average out the % of the modules but that's not my true overall % because each module was weighted differently (although of course the transcript gives no indication of weighting either) What do other people do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's been discussed a few times before and it seems you have to wait until you have actually graduated until you can put it down on the form. So if like me you gradauate in the spring then you have to wait until the December after to put it down.

I have a question. I'm sending in transcripts from my undergrad to PAC. Do I just rip off year one and two and send in year 3 or just send them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hey everyone, I'm finding the whole points thing extremely confusing. I got a 1.1 degree in nutritional science from UCC. Am I supposed to calculate my points based on my degree results as a whole or on individual modules taken in my final year? It seems I can only teach biology, which seems a bit mad seeing as I did way more chemistry in the four years. Does anyone have any thoughts on how likely I would be to find work when I can only teach one subject? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm finding the whole points thing extremely confusing. I got a 1.1 degree in nutritional science from UCC. Am I supposed to calculate my points based on my degree results as a whole or on individual modules taken in my final year? It seems I can only teach biology, which seems a bit mad seeing as I did way more chemistry in the four years. Does anyone have any thoughts on how likely I would be to find work when I can only teach one subject? Thanks :)

Truthfully, very unlikely! The job market is so tough at the minute and teaching positions are like gold dust. Things are going to get worse.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

more than likely a stupid question but I'm a bit stumped!:confused:

What exactly is a certified true copy of results?
    I've been told you can photocopy your own results and get a garda to sign them to prove they're legit, you can get the college to print off a true copy or you can get a printers to photocopy your results onto certified paper??

I'm very confusted!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

markievicz wrote: »

I've been told you can photocopy your own results and get a garda to sign them to prove they're legit, you can get the college to print off a true copy or you can get a printers to photocopy your results onto certified paper??

That's the most bizarre thing I've heard in a long time. Bit like getting fake ID with someone else's birth cert :D

Most colleges print results on headed paper of some type and stamp them to say they are genuine. They want an original copy of your results issued by the college. Photocopies would be far too easy to alter.

That's the most bizarre thing I've heard in a long time. Bit like getting fake ID with someone else's birth cert :D

Most colleges print results on headed paper of some type and stamp them to say they are genuine. They want an original copy of your results issued by the college. Photocopies would be far too easy to alter.

I thought that but I wasn't sure!Thanks for replying it's been bugging me all week! Trip to Maynooth in store for me so!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

markievicz wrote: »

I have sent certified copies of documents to the TC before as I don't trust them to return them safely.

This involved bringing the original document and a photocopy to the Garda station and having a garda examine both and sign the copy to say it wasn't altered.

I'm confused again!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jersey_shore

Hi,

Thinking of applying to do the PGDE in dcu, just looking through the modules they don't seem to have any content on the subject you choose, unlike TCD who have the relevant courses throughout the year. How are you meant to get feedback on the content you're teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

does anyone in here have any information on applying for the PGDE in the UK? looking like my GPA wont be enough to get me into any Irish PGDE course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

I'm applying for this course this year was wondering what it the story with teaching practice, if it is in blocks at a time it would be hard to keep up my job because it's just a normal waitress job
    Also applying to NUI have 43 points so no idea whether I'll get in or not!!! But everyone is saying I'm better off with that because its only one year
    But I think I'd like the dcu one, if I could fit in working then it would be perfect for me, because I live real close and have a school willing to take me for practise, I wouldn't consider it as giving up 2 years, because it wouldn't be as rushed and stressful
    Has anyone else done this and how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi,

Thinking of applying to do the PGDE in dcu, just looking through the modules they don't seem to have any content on the subject you choose, unlike TCD who have the relevant courses throughout the year. How are you meant to get feedback on the content you're teaching?

Same query. Do DCU do all the subjects Im majoring in English and Economics and have done History in first year? I'm currently off a 2:1 in my degree which I still have to complete this year but I've been offered a place to teach in a school for the GDE in DCU will this make any difference to my chances?

I don't think u need a 2.1. for dcu? I'd say having the school will help, well I'm hoping it will!

I can't see how having secured a school to complete the placement will help the application. That's not what you are been assessed on. All students on the PGDE will have to complete a teaching practice placement.

Yeah but having that already organised shows your dedicated plus it's one of the requirements to get your application accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Can you apply to DCU if you are in final year in college? If yes do you just put down your GPA from second year in the pac application?

I wasn't sure so I sent in my results from last year, my application got accepted but then I got an email saying I would be put under further review depending on my final year results...

Yeah but having that already organised shows your dedicated plus it's one of the requirements to get your application accepted

I'm not trying to put a dampener on your application but if it's a requirement then everyone has to do it, it doesn't really show anything other than you are fulfilling one of the requirements.

True I guess but I was thinking some people might not have been able to get it and then didn't apply so in that sense we would have a better chance...:p are you applying for it then rainbowtrout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

True I guess but I was thinking some people might not have been able to get it and then didn't apply so in that sense we would have a better chance...:p are you applying for it then rainbowtrout?

Are you currently working in the school that you got the TP? I'm just surprised you got the TP sorted so early. Most schools dont think about it until April/May. If you aren't in the school I would recommend you keep in semi-regular contact with the teacher in charge of TP students because you can end up being forgotten when it comes to next year as the teacher has 101 other things to think about.

Advertisement