Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

6th wrote:
    Well I just had anew experiences today and it has me giggling a little:

I was driving back from a meeting at about 10.30ish and was stopped at traffic lights at O'Connell bridge. I was people watching as i do and i saw a guy i know who's family live a few doors down from my mum.

He (lets call him pat) was walking along very serious look on his face but then i saw the person walking beside him step back a bit and wink at me. It was his older brother (lets call him John) who hung himself just over a year ago. Another person walked through my eyeline and when i saw Pat again I could only see his back and no one was beside him.

Now both these guys were really nice blokes, sure they were a bit dodgy but most guys from our area where back in the day. Its nice to know he's still watching out for his little brother as they were very close.

The wink was a little cheeky and made me feel good. I think its nice to be noticed, for both of us.

Thats so nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Also why do they prefer appearing at night?

I worked at a dog kennel once where there was only ghostly activity during the day. This house was in maryland. The house itself had been there for about 100 years and was a bakery at one time. The kennel building was 20 or 30 years old, but it had been a puppymill at first, so a lot of dogs suffered and died there. Later, it became a boarding kennel and had been for about eitght years before I worked there.

I lived in the house as the caretaker and one of my jobs was to go out at night and let out the dogs that couldn't hold thier bladders until morning, so I was routinely out in the kennel by myself at 10:30-11:00 p.m. Nothing ever happened at night.

All the kennel property was surrounded by a six foot privacy fence, so you couldn't see anyone who was back there, you could only hear them walking over the gravel and opening and shutting the gates. Often I would come in in the morning to the sounds of someone moving around in the kennel runs, but I always chalked it up to the kennel manager bringing back the early arrivals before the other employees started. Then the kennel manager had to go to the hospital for surgery and her replacement never touched a dog if she could help it. So it couldn't be her. One morning me and the other girls stood outside the main gate listening to the 'crunch, crunch, crunch' of footsteps on gravel, then threw open the gate when whoever it was was right in front. This being the ghost story thread, you can guess there was no one there.

Sometimes you would be working at the front and would see someone -- just a shadow or a flash-- would walk by the door, but there would be no one there. One day one of my coworkers dropped the bowl she was holding, grabs a leash and tears out the door. A few minutes later, she comes back in with a bewildered look on her face, saying she had just seen (lets call him Fido) run by the door. Well Fido was a Redbone Coonhound, he was the only one of his breed we ever got in the kennel and he was sound asleep in his crate. In fact, there were no dogs outside because the weather was too hot. People would say they had seen Fido running around outside even when Fido wasn't there. Fido had a very loud, deep bay, and my ex would say 'I see the Hound of the Baskervilles is back' when he heard him. He didn't know how right he was.

The radio would shut on and off by itself. The most 'tangible' ghostly activity I ever experienced happened when we were letting the little dog playgroup back in. The small dog yard opened right out the back door, so sometimes we would just open the door and let the little dogs run in and then put them in thier crates. The room was shaped like a big H, cut off by rows of crates. I had just put a dog away down at one end of one leg of the H. I heard the clicking noise of little toenails on the floor run right up behind me and felt a little dog jump up on my leg for a second, then get down. I turned around and there was no dog there. If it had run up, jumped on me and run away, I would have heard it running away and I would have seen it running away down the leg of the H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gardenlily

this wasnt my experience but my brother..I guess they only make their presence to people who are strong enough not to freak out when they show..
    the first time a spirit showed on my brother was when he was only 11 years old..he told us he saw this lady floating with a white long gown going towards his direction he was so scared he said she might look into his eyes so he run as fast as he could..he was so nervous that time..he told me our dead grandmother came to visit us he got up and came to my side and sleep with me until the morning..he often tells us stories of the things he sees and he said he got used to it now which is good..sometimes there are voices too that he hear voices calling but he learned how to fight them now if not he will go mad..i was thinking if that was me i might have gone mad..i do believe there are spirits around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

This happened my Dad at a golf club where he works:

He had just went up to check up on one of his new employees and to pay him for the week, and after the guy left my dad went into the clubhouse to see if he did an alright job in the house. It was about 9pm, and mid-winter so it was fairly dark at the time, all the other people except the security guard had left already. My dad went in to check the Visitors Locker Room, it's big enough, with at least 100 lockers in it. He checked the toilets, and then walked to the other side of the room to check the shower room. He was literally in the shower room for about a minute, and when he came back out, all the lockers were wide open. He was obviously slightly freaked out, but just closed them all, turned off the light and left.
    The next morning my Dad had to work early at 7am before the golfers came in. He was walking round the back of the house, went in to turn on the light in the Visitors Locker Room again, the lockers were still closed. When he turned around he saw the security guard again running up the path, who told my dad that when he was patrolling the grounds late at night he saw the Visitors light on again, and went in to turn it off. He saw that all the lockers were wide open, and straight away ran out into the hallway. He heard someone upstairs running and shutting a door. The security guard ran outside, and through the windows he saw a shadow running through the house. He had the alarm turned on, which has a motion sensor trigger as the house has many valuables etc. The alarm never went off, and he doesn't know how the lockers were closed again.
    The house is always securely locked up at night, I don't know how to explain it. I used to work there, and I definitely felt uncomfortable up there on my own. The house has a big history with the famine, and there are druids altars dotted around the grounds. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

hey this is a fascinating thread.

Firstly i'd like to say that i'm not sure whether i believe in ghosts or not but i'm open to the idea.

In the past year, since I started college I've thought a lot about faith and how the catholic church does not match my beliefs. It has only been since then that I've had a few strange experiences. Firstly my laptop and tv turned on without me going near them as i was studying for exams. I was also alone in the house at the time so nobody was pulling a prank on me. Also one day when I was walking home from college at about 7 in the evening (still bright) and there was nobody around that i could see. I had the feeling like I was being followed while i walked through a field in my estate but was too afraid to turn around. Then I noticed up ahead a man holding a little girls hand walking towards me(about 50 yards away), and i felt a little more secure to look behind me, but when i did there was nobody there. I turned back around to see that the man and the girl were gone. There was no way that they could have left the field in that space of time as i turned around instantly. It was only when i thought about what they looked like that i realised they were dressed in quite old fashioned clothing, not from the 1800's or anything but say from about 15 years ago.

Not as interesting as some of the posts i've read here but i thought i'd share anyway. As a child I also(according to parents/uncles/aunties) used to talk about having a past life even though i would have been to young to understand concepts like this. I obviously dont remember this but it freaks me out whenever i ask them about it. Thanks for reading i know its a long post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

welcome on board cheese!

Listen i think that what you are experiencing is real (in that its paranormal), as soon as you decided you were open to new experiences thay started happening? Maybe you were just willing to notice what was there all along?

Stay open to it, even the scarey stuff can be very positive. Just make sure you stick around to tell us all about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

yeah i have the feeling that theres something there but that they know i would be too freaked by a full confrontation. maybe your right i definately would be more open to paranormal activity than before. thanks for the warm welcome btw. ill be sure to let ya's know if anything else strange happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Opeth

Been reading the paranormal boards for quite a while now and although really interested in the paranormal, haven't had any experience until last night. I was coming home from a friends house at roughly 2 am and was in the passenger side of the car when some one ran across the road infront of our car. This was on the main road going into the town so there was good lighting from houses and street lights but what was strange was that the thing which was most definately a tall, manly shaped figure was not solid but an outline in which was blurred, i could see through this figure as he ran across. It puts me in mind of what they show an invisible person looks like in a film/cartoon. I was fully awake, not drunk/drugged etc and apparently lots of people have died around that spot on the road. Wondering has any one else experienced a blurred figure on the roads?

Nothing like that but i would like to note the amount of new people we have coming in, seems to be that once people open themselves up to the possibilities they start to experience things. In your case Opeth you've been reading this forum. Ok so some one say reading this forum can but ideas in your head but i think everyone is capable of experiencing things.

Welcome to all the new posters!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've been reading this thread for ages. Every day I check to see any new posts, and I'm always very interested to read all the stories of peoples experiences.

I've hesitated to share what I think of as my paranormal experience because it's very personal and it might be explainable but here it goes:
    A few years back my little cousin died of a heart defect. It was horrible for everyone in our family, especially her parents. Everyone was sad and shocked at this tragic event. But time went on and the wounds healed.
    One night during my sleep (this was about 3 months after the death) I had a strange dream. In the dream I felt like I was visited by my cousin who told me everything was fine and that she was okay.
    I awoke with tears in my eyes and felt very sad about the whole thing. But I like to think her spirit contacted me and she is watching over all of her family.
    Now I know this could be construed as my sunconscious telling me what I want to hear. But I have never been that affected by a dream before.

• Advertisement

Spirits contacting people in their dreams is a fairly common occurance (relativily speaking), maybe its just that we are in a relax state of mind and its easier? There's also the fact that you wont freak out, i'd say in this case its the real mccoy - nice to know theres more to life than death.

btw ....we see you lurking! here's hoping you post more now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

6th wrote:
    btw ....we see you lurking! here's hoping you post more now ;)
    I would but I don't really have any other paranormal experiences to tell :(

Ah but i'm sure you have ideas and opinions, not everyone on this forum has had encounters. To be honest no idea is a silly one on here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Its great to hear other people have had experiences with ghosts as well. One I recall to mind was when I was pregnant with my first child and was overdue. I was asleep and awoke suddenly when I saw my father in law at foot of bed and he simply said its ok it wont be long now. Few days later had my son. I used to go to sleep every night asking him to watch over my son while we slept and about a week after I came home from the hospital I woke up suddenly again and saw a shawdow pass quickly pass me to my sons cot. I remember saying get the hell away from him when I heard an answer its ok I am just checking on him. I thought of this afterwards and I have to say it was nice to know that he could see and look in on his grandson when he wanted. The same son came into me a few nights ago (he is 4 now) and said he had a bad dream when i asked him about what he said a man with no face came to him and wanted to play with him and his brother but if he was scared to go into his mammy. ~So looks like he is still checking in. Although I do remember saying to "Grandad" to be careful not to frighten him. Just told my son it was only a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fram

Sorry bit of a long post, have found this post very interesting reading!

I had an experience when my dog died, but probably becasue I am a bit mad!! But I will share it anyway.

I thought I heard her a few times when I was in bed, like her moving about my room, I did have her for 15 years and she slept in a little bed in my room, so more than likely it was my imagination. The one experience that stayed with me was one when I was in the house on my own, sitting in my room watching tv, when I definitely heard her sniffing at the door, really loudly (its what she did to get my attention to let her in) I was so afraid to open the door.
    The sounds and feeling that she was there went away after a while.
    Do people think that animals can have spirits? Or is it just the owner imagining or remember the animal?

Just to mention that I had similar experiences / feelings when my grandmother died, for a few weeks afterwards I was convinced that I heard her in my room, she used to sleep in my room when she stayed over at weekends. When she was alive she would throw holy water at me in my sleep, before she went to bed, she was really religous but after she died I felt like she was watching me a lot, or I would hear things. Same thing, after a while it went away, so it was probably me being upset that made me imagine it, but I am open to the possibilites that something may happen, I think it would make life a little more interesting!
    Another thing which my family thought was a bit mad, was a taxi turning up to collect her, to bring her home one Friday evening, she used to stay over Thursday night and go home Fri to meet her friends. She was in hospital for a a couple of weeks before she died, and a week after the funeral this taxi man knocks to collect her, we where all gobsmacked, the poor taxi-man just apologised and left. It was like she was letting us know that she was still around, we all laughed about it at the time, but it was still a bit odd to say the least!!

Thanks!

Nice post though I suspect you believe your own experiences more than you let on, theres no need to apologise for experiencing these things - you're very lucky.

As for animal spirits, i've experienced them plenty before and my wifes cat pops in now and then to check on her. She had him for 18 years and they were very close - he didnt like me when i first started calling around.

When people get the feeling that someone they've loved is around (whether they walked upright or on all fours) they should take a quiet moment to say hi to them, you most likely wont get an answer but you'll be glad you did it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

I remember one time I was working in a restuarant and I was going into the kitchen by the side enterance which was down a lane way with a big yard behind it, just as I was going towards the kitchen door I saw someone run and kick a tin can, I couls have sworn I heard the noise of the can been kicked, initally I thought it was one of the owners kids and when I went into the yard there was one one there the yard is inclosed and it was empty.

I know that I saw and heard something.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Hi everyone - this is a fascinating thread!

Anywas my one and only experience with a ghost is something I will always remember.

I'm 28 now and when I was six months old my Uncle passed in a car accident. For some reason I always felt he was watching over me. About ten years ago my mother was getting remarried and the night before the wedding I was sleeping on a couch in my grans frontroom. At about 2.00am I woke up and very slowly this white light appeared in front of the tv. There was no source of light coming into the room to explain. The light got bigger and bigger and more intense in the centre and I felt more and more relaxed. It was about six foot high. All of a sudden I had this feeling that it was my uncle and that everything would be okay. The light then went and I was awake for another hour just wondering - what the hell was that!

nice though isnt it, I hate the way its usually the scarey experiences that get the attention when so many of us have pleasent experiences - even if they are confusing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

It was lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

well here are my experiences.

When my Grandad was about to die he kept saying his wifes ( my granny ) name who had died a few years earlier and kept saying thank god your hear for me and we can be together again..moments later he died.

A few years after his death my Aunt moved back to Galway with her Husband from the UK and the had a daughter and we were in my grandparents house when they came down and their daughter was just messin around when she suddenly just ran upstairs and into my grandparents room which my other aunt ( big family btw ) keeps in pristine condition and so i followed her up to get her and there she was laughing and joking sayin "hi nana, hi gaga" "nana and gaga your so funny" they were the pet names for my granny and grandad. she had never ever had any contact with them whatsoever as they died before she was born

Last one just recently about 2 weeks ago another aunt who lived away from Galway died suddenly and all the family came together and paid for here to be brought here etc and my aunt came up from her mediterranean home to attend as this was her sister and she said a prayer and asked her sister to leave her a sign that she knew she had passed into heaven,a sign that she would recognise at the Grave, well needless to say we had the burial and i had a part in carrying the coffin and as the coffin was lowered into the grave my aunt who asked for the sign notice the sign on the tombstone, 2 old copper 2pence pieces, she knew it was a sign as my aunt who had died loved to collect copper coins, they were not the Euro 2cents things they were punt currency

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I have always had a sensitivity to ghosts myself.

There's a gentleman ghost who loves to stand by the door of the church choir loft and listen to the choir. I'm not the only one who sees him. He's very well dressed and proper.

The first flat I lived in after moving from my parents house was VERY haunted. They would play tricks on me such as holding my entry door shut while I pushed and pushed and then suddenly it would give way and I'd fall inside the door.

Also, things would be rearranged, and it was only me living there!

Radio's would turn on my themselves as well. And every night at 11:07 my phone would make a "clink" sound.

I later found out that 3 guys I went to high school who died on their way to a party at 11:07 PM all used to live in that flat!!!! And yes, they were the types who loved to pull pranks while alive!

That's not the most freaky experience, though.

In our house, I see shapes of spectres out of the corner of my eye. Mostly waiting by our front door for someone. It's never bothered me because I hadn't come face to face - until Good Friday three years ago! I came out of one room to head to the kitchen and came face to face with her as she was heading to the kitchen too!!!! I totally freaked out being not two feet from her!!

A lady lived in our house for 60 + years. I figure it is her. Haven't come face to face with her since but still see her by the door. I believe she is waiting for her son to return from the war.

Did some research. Her name is Henrietta. Lived a sad, lonely life.

There is also a spectre outside the house. A small figure - likely a child that runs up to the door. I see this constantly out of the corner of my eye if I sit by the window facing that side of the house.

Freaky stuff, isn't it???

L4L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

about 4 or 5 years ago when we bought our house we were renovating it before moving in and in the meantime we were staying at the in-laws which was about 4 miles from the house being renovated.

Anyway, at this time there was myself and the two kids in the house - my wife and her parents had gone out for the evening.

It was about 9.30 pm and I had to start work the next day at 5.30am so I was in bed. inthe room next to me were the two kids. we were upstairs i na small 2 up, 2 down standard council house which was pretty small. the stairs led up, came onto a very small corridor on the right of which was my room and at the end was the boys room. opposite my room was another room and the bathroom.

Anyway that was the scene. What we heard (both msyelf and the kids) was the sound of someone slowly and heavily walking up the stairs (we could hear the last four or five footfalls) then heavy footsteps down the hall way and the hallway light (right outside my door) being switched.

I was obviously on alert the minute i heard this as I knew there was no-one else in the hosue so I got up and quickly opened the door. a t the same time the kdis opened their door and we were all looking out into the hall but there was no-one there. I legged it downstairs and done a complete check of the house but it was as locked up as it had been before I'd went to bed. I ended up telling the kids it was their grandad who popped back for something as they were freaking out a bit. twas weird. never found out what it was and my wife insists as kids neither she nor her family ever had any experiences of ghosts in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

This happened about 30 years ago to my mother.

A week before this paranormal experience my mothers friend father died. This nght anyhow my mother and her friend went out to the disco in mulcahys(in Clonmel). Her friend decided to go home early and my mother stayed out a bit longer. Later that night my mother went back to sleep in her friends house. Both were fast asleep in the bedroom(not the same bed I might add:D) for a few hours then my mother woke up and went downstairs to the bathroom for a drink of water as she was coming back up the stairs she saw the dead father coming up the stairs behind her and started running back to the bedroom. As she was on the bed she started trying to sceam to wake her friend but she couldn't nor could she move your body:eek: A few minutes later the dead father walked away and my mother was still in shock. The next day she told her friend and her friend replied "oh thats only me father, he comes to check on me every night".

My mother isint the type of person who makes up bullsh!t and when she told me my hairs on my arms stood up. What was this all about?:confused:

Plug, great story, hold onto it and dont let people throw the title "sleep paralysis" at it, fact is your mother wasnt in bed when this happened but did have some of the characteristics of SP once you got into bed.

The frightning bit was when the friend had also saw her father a few times and just took it for granted. Also my mother said his clothes were left in the house at this stage, could that have anything to do with it? Just clothes left in the wardropes.

Well I'm sure the clothes could be an issue of serveral levels.

One is that the clothes are holding this mans energy (not in the crazy way it sounds - like trapping him), like in Psychometry.

Another idea could be that the daughter is holding onto the clothes in a desperate attempt not to lose her father and is almost willing him to be there.

Just a couple of ideas but I'm sure someone else will add to it.

6th wrote:
    Well I'm sure the clothes could be an issue of serveral levels.

One is that the clothes are holding this mans energy (not in the crazy way it sounds - like trapping him), like in Psychometry.

Another idea could be that the daughter is holding onto the clothes in a desperate attempt not to lose her father and is almost willing him to be there.

Just a couple of ideas but I'm sure someone else will add to it.
    Good to hear a few possible reasons. Thanks;)

There is also the possiblity that the "ghost" is a physical manifestation of the daughters desire and not a conscious spirit or residual haunting.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    There is also the possiblity that the "ghost" is a physical manifestation of the daughters desire and not a conscious spirit or residual haunting.
    Both of them seen it tho:confused:

Advertisement