Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

As the main cowboys contribute I'm baffled by this.
    Cooper and Gallup are our clear one two
    We've now got
    Tavon Austin and Randall Cobb who can do hey sweetie type things and truck plays
    Allen hurns who's not really and x or y or a slot guy
    Throw in Noah brown and Cedric Wilson who's not played yet with Lance lenoir and Devin Smith and talk of a WR in the draft that's a huge amount of mouths to feed in a run first offence where Zeke likes 3-5 passes a game and we've not even reached the tight ends on the roster with Witten being a huge red zone target.

I think these signings allow us to go BPA. In the draft as we've depth at a lot of area's and would also allow us to use some of these signings as trade bait if we need to during the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Assume he's the Beasley replacement.

However, I'm not sure he's that great anymore in all honesty. Injuries and age have taken a bit of a toll imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Knex. wrote:
    Assume he's the Beasley replacement.
    However, I'm not sure he's that great anymore in all honesty. Injuries and age have taken a bit of a toll imo.
    He is only 28 and a change of scenery might be just what he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I was shocked to find out Cobb was only 28! Seems like he's been around forever......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭cosatron

Burfict has signed for the raiders. That locker room will be some craic when things go awry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears for Clinton-Dix for only $500k guaranteed and $1.5m in potential bonuses some are saying. Mad. It's a great deal if his play improves as you'd hope it would when surrounded by a much better D.

On the other hand, Pace might have screwed up the Bryce Callahan deal but we'll wait to see if Bryce can stay healthy first. Letting Cam Meredith go to the Saints looked like a bad call as well but then he was out most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭cosatron

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bears for Clinton-Dix for only $500k guaranteed and $1.5m in potential bonuses some are saying. Mad. It's a great deal if his play improves as you'd hope it would when surrounded by a much better D.

On the other hand, Pace might have screwed up the Bryce Callahan deal but we'll wait to see if Bryce can stay healthy first. Letting Cam Meredith go to the Saints looked like a bad call as well but then he was out most of the year.

Dix sucked so bad with the packers last year. Missed tackles, failure to read the qbs, until the play was over and looking for ints all the time trying to get the big contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cosatron wrote: »
    Dix sucked so bad with the packers last year. Missed tackles, failure to read the qbs, until the play was over and looking for ints all the time trying to get the big contract.

Was also awful with the Redskins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He gave up a long time ago, his effort was a disgrace. Whatever he does now I'm just glad he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Blut2

He had talent to begin with though, he just seemed to stop caring. Being on a tiny 1 year "prove it" contract might be exactly what he needs mentally to start playing well. I think hes a decent punt at that knockdown price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Talk of Chiefs using our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in a trade withe the Seahawks to move up

Been thinking about the Hill situation and the possibility of using him as a Draft Trade to bring in DK Metcalf

There are three problems with Hill:

1. He's going to want a ****ton of money on his next contract

2. He might be in deep **** depending on what's going on with his current legal/domestic issues

3. He's a huge risk of being in future deep **** because he's a complete scumbag with a nasty record

He's undoubtedly talented, but the question is this: who would, in a position to draft Metcalf, decide that they instead want to take on a far more expensive player at the same position who has big red flags? The only advantage that Hill has over Metcalf is that he is proven, but the only team that is likely to be in the market for a proven receiver is one with a veteran locker room that thinks it's ready to win now, and they would need to have a pick in the top ten.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility but my guess is that your market is pretty small, and you'd need to give up your first round pick. I think if I'm the Chiefs I'd rather have Hill plus my first than Metcalf, who I think is far from a lock to be a star anyway. The only reason I'm trading Hill now is if I know that he's got legal trouble coming, and if the Chiefs know that then everyone else does as well.

Justin Houston to Indianapolis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

RGIII back to the Ravens on a two year deal

Contract details not announced yet. He spent 2018 on a 1 year - 1 million deal so it'll be more than that for sure

He started the season as No 3 and it was nearly a decade since the Ravens carried three QB's and then later No 2. Put together some good drives including an 8 minute drive that ended in a TD. Ravens all about time of possession. Class act in the locker room and couldn't ask for more from a backup QB

Ok, not the league wide star he once was but he'll have a long career in the NFL yet

Very happy he is back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭letowski

Justin Houston to Indianapolis

2y/$24mill. I think $12mil per year decent value for a pass rusher like Houston, who despite being 30, still is quite productive (9 sacks, 5 FF last year).

Biggest weakness for us was pass rush last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Nobody is trading for Hill.

D9Male wrote: »
    Nobody is trading for Hill.

Suits me fine :D Might be a scumbag but he's OUR scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Charlie Scarce Tang

Been thinking about the Hill situation and the possibility of using him as a Draft Trade to bring in DK Metcalf
    Metcalf is still projected to go high in the draft from plenty of mock drafts I've seen. Reports were that Hill was removed from a lot of teams draft board after he assaulted/choked his pregnant girlfriend. With new potentials charges of battery/child abuse resulting in a 3 year breaking his arm; I'm not sure he has the trade value for a high 1st round draft trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Metcalf is such an enigma too, it would be a massive gamble to get rid of Hill and expect him to fill that void. He has both boom and bust written all over him imo. Looking forward to see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

You have to laugh at some of the analysis by the so called experts - Nate Davis in his latest power rankings has the Broncos ranked 26th - exactly the same as before the superbowl. For Davis the Broncos have made zero improvement.

1. Vic Fangio is not an upgrade over Vance Joseph.

2. Mike Munchak is not an upgrade over Sean Kuglar.

3. Ed Donatell is not an upgrade over Joe Woods.

4. Kareem Jackson is not an upgrade over Darian Stewart.

5. Ja’Wuan James is not an upgrade over Jared Veldheer.

6. Bryce Callahan is not an upgrade over Bradley Roby

7. Joe Flacco is not an upgrade over Case Keenum.

The show the stupidity of his analysis - he drops the Bears 6 places because they lost Fangio - but the arrival of Fangio in Denver is not expected to have any impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Cam Newton Giving Up Sex for a Month; 'Hopes It Makes My Mind Stronger'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827187-cam-newton-giving-up-sex-for-a-month-hopes-it-makes-my-mind-stronger

My word....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You have to laugh at some of the analysis by the so called experts - Nate Davis in his latest power rankings has the Broncos ranked 26th - exactly the same as before the superbowl. For Davis the Broncos have made zero improvement.

1. Vic Fangio is not an upgrade over Vance Joseph.

2. Mike Munchak is not an upgrade over Sean Kuglar.

3. Ed Donatell is not an upgrade over Joe Woods.

4. Kareem Jackson is not an upgrade over Darian Stewart.

5. Ja’Wuan James is not an upgrade over Jared Veldheer.

6. Bryce Callahan is not an upgrade over Bradley Roby

The show the stupidity of his analysis - he drops the Bears 6 places because they lost Fangio - but the arrival of Fangio in Denver is not expected to have any impact.
    It's difficult to imagine something more pointless and contrived to generate controversy for its own sake than a power rankings. But if there's something that can manage it, it's a power rankings in March.

Well this one remains to be seen. I think this might be a great move for Flacco but his form for over the past two years places him behind Keenum imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nothing funnier than someone getting their knickers in a twist over a March power ranking from some scrub trying to fill a column between the combine and the draft.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well this one remains to be seen. I think this might be a great move for Flacco but his form for over the past two years places him behind Keenum imo.

Nah - Keenum is bad - he could barely throw the ball more than ten yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nothing funnier than someone getting their knickers in a twist over a March power ranking from some scrub trying to fill a column between the combine and the draft.
    Ah, we shouldn't judge really, it's the off season, jrg is clearly a pretty obsessive fan, there's only so many ways to get your fix this time of year, those articles serve a purpose. But obviously the guy doing the ranking is wrong, that's probably not even by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Keenum is práisce tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/1109158087276064768?s=21

I’m struggling to think of anything I’d want to see less. :eek:

Ah, we shouldn't judge really, it's the off season, jrg is clearly a pretty obsessive fan, there's only so many ways to get your fix this time of year, those articles serve a purpose. But obviously the guy doing the ranking is wrong, that's probably not even by accident.
    Ah now guys - give us a break - it was a demonstration that the power rankings are bullsh*t and the guys who claim to be analysts are taking money under false pretences. I could have picked any one of half a dozen teams - I picked the Broncos because it is the one I know best.

• Advertisement

Nah - Keenum is bad - he could barely throw the ball more than ten yards.
    Yes I agree but over the last couple of years Flacco has looked even worse.
    As I said I'm expecting this move might work out well for Flacco, I don't think the Ravens had a good setup for him.

Advertisement