Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaking mixer tap

• 21-03-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭

I have a mixer tap in the kitchen similar to the one in the pic below. The water is dripping out at the bottom of the spout just where it connects to the main body. Is that likely to be something that can be repaired with a washer or ring replacement or am I looking at a new set of mixer taps? I know its hard to say without seeing it but whats the most likely outcome in these situations?

I just want an idea before i get someone out to see it as Id prefer to have replacement taps there for him if required rather than let him go and wait for weeks again possibly to get them back,

Thanks in advance,

mixer-taps.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

There should be a small screw in the body of the taps just below where its leaking, it may at the back, turn off water,undo screw,pull spout out of body, there will then be one or two O rings on the end of the spout that need replacing, quick trip to your local hardware shop and replace O rings and reassemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

As above poster suggested check O rings. Bring it down to local hareware if need be.

https://www.lenehans.ie/50-pc-ass-o-rings.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sometimes the base of the spout near the O ring will be eroded preventing O ring from seating properly. You will see when you remove it if it’s repairab or needs replacing.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks guys. Doesnt seem too serious so I'll venture into the unknown tomorrow sometime and break my duck. Im useless at DIY but Im a tryer if nothing else. :)

You don’t need to turn off mains or hot water. Just both taps.

• Advertisement

Took a look at this earlier and there's a little screw at the bottom of the spout (in at the back side) and I cant get at it with any type of screwdriver. Is there a special short screwdriver for removing this screw?

You might be able to get at it with a stubbie screwdriver. Otherwise you will need to turn off mains and hot and lift the whole assembly up a bit.

You might be able to rig up a suitable screwdriver from a screwdriver bit set. You know the ones with about 30+ different bits that slot into a handle.

Managed to get it off using a screw head bit for a drill and a pair of pliers for leverage. Im going uo to the local hardware shop now in a minute but is the o ring the little white circular plastic piece? It doesnt wrap around completely as there is a couple of mm's gap in it?

Pics of the end of the spout and the hole where it came out of would help here. Might also be useful to hardware shop.

Tried to get the spout back in but it aint going well. I initially took it up to the local shop and the guy stuck 2 rings or washers on it. Came back home and before fitting I took a pic (see below) and pushed it into place. But it doesnt go the full way down and the little screw wont go back in. On top of that the water from the hot tap continues to run slowly for about 10 seconds after its turned off.

Good news is that the water drip has stopped and taps can be used.

IMG-20190322-120650.jpg

• Advertisement

Be sure to cleanse the groves where those O rings seat into. Also a slight coating of washing up liquid on the rings might help. You should also try it without the O rings to see if anything else is stopping the spout from seating properly.

Advertisement