Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

December 2017 babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

shesty wrote: »
    Is he getting molars or anything Donkey?I found they were by far the hardest ones.

They would be two from the back so big enough. Funny coz he just has the top front four and bottom front three. I thought they work their way back rather than getting them randomly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My third got his top left eye tooth first on top!!!There's no formula to it at all!I find the back ones seem to be hardest on them, they se to be the ones that bring on the really awful nappies and things like ear infections and colds in my three.

Milly,in the nicest possible way, I'd suggest you see could you find someone to mind the little one even a day a week.If you got them now you could get them to do a morning, or see could she get into a creche for something for a morning.It would ease the worry of sorting out ante natal appointments and jlm's points are spot on.....you will need a few hours of a break.The toddler years are....trying.Even when you think of how you might cope when labour starts, it is good to have an extra pair of hands, an option to take no.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is funny how the teeth go, even the amount some kids have at this age.. My heart breaks for them getting them, still remember the wisdom teeth and they were horrible... Herself still only has three they take ages to cut through..

Yeah a sitter would be the best option just when you dont know anyone tis a bit harder.. Any suggestions for places to go then.. Like we do have family but they work during the day so cant be asking them to take days off to watch her it is fine for the evenings and weekends.. Dont think we are quite ready for the creche yet haha, but we shall see. Actually that too do you know of any good ones Lashes are have ye gone there yet..

Weather is awfull today I keep thinking na well get out for a walk and id nearly be scared with the high winds, it blew the side gate off last night hope everyone is indoors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Look around for a minder.Local facebook pages, schooldays.ie, mindme.ie, signs in shops etc.We don't use creches ourselves, but some people prefer them for their kids, that's personal choice.Do you go to any local toddler groups or playgroups or music groups either....maybe meet someone through those?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Hi Milly we have a child minder part-time, usually 2 days a week but depends on my husbands shifts. We have no choice with us both working full-time and we have no family at all in Galway. I found her on the local facebook page.

Would definitely recommend it, I imagine you'll need help as the pregnancy progresses and esp when new baby comes. I couldn't cope anyway with two together thats for sure.

• Advertisement

Hey, ah sure we shall see how it all goes, might try to get a recommendation and take things from there. Bless we have had our first real fever the last few days hit the 39 mark close to 40.. Id say all the teeth are coming together for her.. So hard but my god she is just a dream even still the worst so far is just having to get up every now and again to her

Ended up with the doc yesterday, jes twas close no appointment so they told me to come in at 3.30 and they would fit me in. So 5 hit and the temp had started again so finally got seen to. Bless she has her first antiboitic and I had my first barf all over me.. Didnt give a hoot once the little one was ok..

Just incase anyone elses little ones is suffering there seems to be a throat infection on the rounds so if ye notice anything best to be checked, dont wait like me. Felt so silly for not going sooner but sure she is all good now..

Must say though I just realized how much sugar is in all the baby medicine it is horrible. Must really look into getting the paralink instead of calpol and something similar to nurofen. Must do a bit of research

Ah sure there is no real sugar now in anything with that daft law, and this Sugar Free thing is well come back in a few years time and see the damage it will do. They are "natural sugar free" but they have all else in them like aspartame, acesulfame k, most of the medicine has Saccharin and to be honest that would scare me more than. Doing it for now but so getting something with non of this crap in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah sure there is no real sugar now in anything with that daft law, and this Sugar Free thing is well come back in a few years time and see the damage it will do. They are "natural sugar free" but they have all else in them like aspartame, acesulfame k, most of the medicine has Saccharin and to be honest that would scare me more than. Doing it for now but so getting something with non of this crap in it

I’d be of the same opinion with the sugar replacements. I’d prefer the real sugar given the choice.

thank god im not the only one !!! It is such a gripe of ours, it is hard to find anything now with sugar in it.. Used to love Ribena and then they changed it, tonic (with of course a sneaky gin) sure tis only fever tree tonic now is au natural. Just scary to think they done it to medication also when sometimes you dont have a choice, i would prefer to pay a higher price for the natural sugar.

• Advertisement

Any tips on how to get them to drink more water. My fella hardly drinks any water. He might take 2 slugs from the straw and then start spitting!

Also anyone experiencing biting and hitting from them? I seem to get it when hes cross or it looks like hes trying to prove a point or something. When i say no be nice and no hitting he will intentionally hit again and then start biting me. How do you deal with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

donkey10 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get them to drink more water. My fella hardly drinks any water. He might take 2 slugs from the straw and then start spitting!

Also anyone experiencing biting and hitting from them? I seem to get it when hes cross or it looks like hes trying to prove a point or something. When i say no be nice and no hitting he will intentionally hit again and then start biting me. How do you deal with this?

I'm not sure if it's the 'right' thing to do but we throw a drop of dilute into the bottle just enough to colour it as we were having the same problem but he is much better now.

Biting isn't much of a problem but my lad seems to think it's kind of a game to hit his mam and slap her. Not sure where he's picked it up from but when it happens we speak to him and say it's not nice etc and to be gentle I think it's just a lack of understanding atm and that it will pass soon. It's only really with her that he does it though which is odd

Block him, try to stop him doi it and just say no I won't let you do that.It is a phase though.Our first is not a water drinker so a drop of dilute here too.I know it's not right but needs must...she has never been a water drinker.

Oh we have had the biting and pinching, like that when she got angry and it was mostly directed at me.. She started head butting for a while.. I used to block her when I knew it was coming and yep I am going to say it I did pinch her back, after asking her to stop and saying not nice. If she continued I would give her a little pinch and it worked..

Not sure about the water, but if he is drinking other fluids then he should be ok... Or you could try a cooled down tea (caffeine free)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yep, we have phases of biting, pinching and hitting here too. I just say no, don’t hit mommy. Or please be gentle and show him gentle by rubbing his face and if he keeps doing it I’ll put him down.

I’ve found different cups make a difference with the water. He loves his munchkin weighted straw cup but will just spit out water from the tommee tippee straw cup. He’s started using an open cup now too with varying degrees of success.

Paid a visit to the chemist to stock up and ask question about things yesterday.. So picked up some of that Life cough syrup for babies which is all au natural with sugar in it not anything else, and some of the paralink tablets.. Must say they are a great chemist, she actually remembered that I had asked the last time i was in about the sugar free calpol and they ordered in the regular one, i do think it still has a sugar substitute in it I must say i was well impressed by them even doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all,

Regarding water I find my little one is better when the water is cold! So we would fill beaker (straw tommee tippee one got in Tesco!) in the morning put it in the fridge and she seems to drink more when it’s cold!

We never heated her bottles ever so I’d say she likes her drinks cold so it’s a personal preference for my little one!

Regarding biting and hitting we haven’t gotten much of that yet but she was due in December (31st) but arrived jan 2nd so we are about a month behind the rest of ye! Not sure what to do so great to hear other people’s suggestions! She started the last week grabbing my nose and really pulling! I just stopped her and explained it was hurting me and not nice! She stopped anyway but no idea did she actually understand!

Regarding sugar versus fake sugar it’s so hard to know what’s right!

Also another tip my sister gave me (she has 4 kids from 13 years to 21 years old!) was to get your child to be able to use a glass and regular straw! That way you will never get caught out without a drink for them if you forget to bring their cups or their own bottle! At least then you will always be able to get some liquid in them!

I thought it was a great point as the older she’s getting it’s so much easier to get out and about! Just hop her into the car (changing bag is permenantly in boot) and away we go! I often forget the water bottle

oh the sugar replacements are just dangerous in my head, I can see in a few years it will be the case of well sorry we did know but it was more profitable for us to use false sugars, when people start getting sick..

Thank god out little one never took to sippy cups or anything like that, straight to the cup. While you have to watch her with it, and it would be easier mess wise for her to use a sippy cup cuts out a lot of weaning off things..

Found out yesterday we are 10wks 5 days with no. 2!! Crazy stuff, i was counting months in my head going noo not Dec again but thank god tis end of Oct... A Halloween baby love it

oh the sugar replacements are just dangerous in my head, I can see in a few years it will be the case of well sorry we did know but it was more profitable for us to use false sugars, when people start getting sick..

Thank god out little one never took to sippy cups or anything like that, straight to the cup. While you have to watch her with it, and it would be easier mess wise for her to use a sippy cup cuts out a lot of weaning off things..

Found out yesterday we are 10wks 5 days with no. 2!! Crazy stuff, i was counting months in my head going noo not Dec again but thank god tis end of Oct... A Halloween baby love it

Aw delighted for you! Exciting and very busy times ahead!!

• Advertisement

Ive tried saying no etc and dont hit mommy when he does it. I also tipped him on his hand to which he actually hits back much harder!

So i gather from that that he knows exactly what he is doing!

I have the munchin cup with the straw and he seems to prefer it to the tommy tippee sippee cup. Although it doesnt seem to get him drinking more water!

Thank you Donkey10 yep all exciting so it is, tis weird im showing already which im wondering is it a thing with no. 2 the belly is quite obvious...

I do think after one of two hits that they do actually know what they are doing, it annoyed me when I got sure she doesnt know what she is doing.. I was like mmm then why is she doing it.. Nothing like starting them young with manners and no's :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our daughters personality has really been shining through the past few weeks. She's a real character

great to hear Cherryghost, what has she been up to!!

Think herself is going through a leap at the moment she is in mighty form but very givie out.. She is putting more things together as in sequences and just flying but the amount of shouting you swear she was hurt...

Did anyone here, use the birthing pool

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Did anyone here, use the birthing pool

Hey, yes, we used it (and we still have the pool boxed up after one use) and had a midwife at hand, all done at home. My wife didnt birth in the pool though and ended up in hospital for 16 hours in labour instead :)

Setting up the pool (and dismantling when we returned from the hospital!) was really stressful but my wife said it was super relaxing and relieved a lot of pain.

Hi cherryghost, oh wow.. Mighty women to do home birth and also 16hrs of labour in hospital...wow still amazes me so it does..

Was just wondering if she did actually enjoy it, like was it a relief to her? Was thinking perhaps this time round we might give it a go, now it would be in the hospital.. Was just thinking would you actually want to get into a pool while having contractions..

Hi cherryghost, oh wow.. Mighty women to do home birth and also 16hrs of labour in hospital...wow still amazes me so it does..

Was just wondering if she did actually enjoy it, like was it a relief to her? Was thinking perhaps this time round we might give it a go, now it would be in the hospital.. Was just thinking would you actually want to get into a pool while having contractions..

Yes, it was definitely a relief and she was really grateful she had the opportunity doing it. It also creates a very different kind of atmosphere during labour. We had soothing music and the works going on :cool:

That does sound delightfull, thanks again.. Might ask for it this time then if we can get a playlist together haha well have Rick Astley and Mastadon im sure they will love it...Would be nice to be out of the room also in the labour ward suppose a change of scenery

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Quick question do ye weigh your toddlers?
    I am keeping a monthly record of herself updating it as I go what milestone she’s reaching, words, and also including height and weight!

She is walking and talking and growing in height but her weight since 8 months has fluctuated between 22 pounds and 23 pounds!

She eats great over the course of a week ie some days eats all around, can’t be fed and others won’t eat at all!

So I’m not worried but just find it strange the weight isn’t increasing at all! She’s very active and always on the go so she obviously is getting plenty from her food!

Anyway was more curious did anyone else find this with their little one? Thanks

Advertisement