Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He’ll still have an exemption in the US when RC is done right? So he won’t be reliant on invitations when he gets back. Not an easy thing to get back into playing groove after bones of 2 years given up to captaincy but that should help a little bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

He’ll still have an exemption in the US when RC is done right?

I don't think do. He was planning to supply for a one time exemption based on being in the top 50 in career earnings. Unless he's allowed to carry forward this exemption until after the Ryder Cup, he is pretty certain not to be in the top 50 in two years time. He currently lies 50th in the rankings and is almost certain to be passed by Patrick Reid and others within the next two years.

abff wrote: »
    I don't think do. He was planning to supply for a one time exemption based on being in the top 50 in career earnings. Unless he's allowed to carry forward this exemption until after the Ryder Cup, he is pretty certain not to be in the top 50 in two years time. He currently lies 50th in the rankings and is almost certain to be passed by Patrick Reid and others within the next two years.

You’re probably right, I hadn’t realised he was so close to the limit. I know he’d intended to use the exemption this season, not sure why he didn’t or whether RC thing ultimately put the kybosh on it. Unfortunate for him I guess, seems the exemption will just go to waste then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...but he’ll be an ex Ryder Cup captain with his 3 majors to boot, can’t see an issue with invites.......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is Harrington likely to give the Irish Open a miss for the next 2 years given his captaincy duties? It would be a real blow to the tournament especially taking in to account the doubts over McIlroy`s participation.

• Advertisement

Not sure on it but don’t see any reason why he couldn’t play Irish Open or other European events, would seem a fairly reasonable way of checking out a few potential fringe players. Might have a different view on it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not sure on it but don’t see any reason why he couldn’t play Irish Open or other European events, would seem a fairly reasonable way of checking out a few potential fringe players. Might have a different view on it himself.

I agree. It's hardly a task that takes up every weekend for the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You'd probably see the players you want to check out better as a spectator rather then when you are playing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I can't see this taking up top much of his golfing time this season...Realistically he isn't going to learn of any new players this season or make any decisions based on this year... He did say that he will be ensuring himself and co captains play with fringe players, so he will still play a decent bit of golf...At this stage of his career I think relying on invites for America could work out favourably, and he can concentrate on European tour or seniors...

...I can't see this taking up top much of his golfing time this season...Realistically he isn't going to learn of any new players this season or make any decisions based on this year... He did say that he will be ensuring himself and co captains play with fringe players, so he will still play a decent bit of golf...At this stage of his career I think relying on invites for America could work out favourably, and he can concentrate on European tour or seniors...

Yeah your spot on there. As captain he can liaise with tournament organisers to be paired with certain players if he desires. Europe captains have always done this. I thought he said he wasn’t going to play in the states until after 2020 but maybe I picked that up wrong. Anyway i think he’ll play away in Europe to his hearts content at least, as much for his own sanity as anything else!

• Advertisement

• Is Harrington likely to give the Irish Open a miss for the next 2 years given his captaincy duties? It would be a real blow to the tournament especially taking in to account the doubts over McIlroy`s participation.

No it won't. He will actually play more in Europe.

Yeah your spot on there. As captain he can liaise with tournament organisers to be paired with certain players if he desires. Europe captains have always done this. I thought he said he wasn’t going to play in the states until after 2020 but maybe I picked that up wrong. Anyway i think he’ll play away in Europe to his hearts content at least, as much for his own sanity as anything else!

Oh....

I didn't actually realise this was possible

slave1 wrote: »
    Well he said his golf game is going to go on the back burner until the RC is over.

Bit of a strange comment by Padraig. Bjorn managed to play 39 tournaments in 2017 and 2018. No reason why Padraig couldn't do something similar (after he recovers from his injury, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bit of a strange comment by Padraig. Bjorn managed to play 39 tournaments in 2017 and 2018. No reason why Padraig couldn't do something similar (after he recovers from his injury, that is).

He probably will still play quite a bit, he may just not be as analytical about it. Even doing just that, it would be golf on the back burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Brilliant stuff, really enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Back on the European Tour today in his first tournament after injury

A steady start of -2 and currently in the top 30

...I travelled to Florida to the Honda Classic, and was very disappointed to hear that he hadn't recovered from his injury...I knew he had gone over with the hope of of making it, but just didn't happen...I went to a steakhouse on the Wednesday before day 1, and who was I sitting beside other than the main man himself...I was like a child at xmas, and couldn't resist listening to him talk(he never shut up in fact ha)...
    ...Dinner ended, and my sister went over to him to explain to massive fans came from Ireland to see him play and could he say hello to us...He shook our hands and we chatted for about 3 minutes...And of course I got a photo with him!!!, I just need to cut my mate out of it and itll be my coffin photo...

(Hope this link works)
    https://imageshack.us/i/pnIlRVdYj

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

...I travelled to Florida to the Honda Classic, and was very disappointed to hear that he hadn't recovered from his injury...I knew he had gone over with the hope of of making it, but just didn't happen...I went to a steakhouse on the Wednesday before day 1, and who was I sitting beside other than the main man himself...I was like a child at xmas, and couldn't resist listening to him talk(he never shut up in fact ha)...
    ...Dinner ended, and my sister went over to him to explain to massive fans came from Ireland to see him play and could he say hello to us...He shook our hands and we chatted for about 3 minutes...And of course I got a photo with him!!!, I just need to cut my mate out of it and itll be my coffin photo...

(Hope this link works)
    https://imageshack.us/i/pnIlRVdYj

No question about it, the man is a legend..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

It was my first week back in action after nearly four months and thankfully my wrist held up well. Going out to play was a worry for me as I wasn’t sure how it would be once I started going at shots full out, so to get through the week with it holding up so well was great. My thumb was a bit stressed, so I had to take it easy with the amount of practice I did during the week. After so much time in a cast I had to be careful to manage my come back properly.
    It was great to be back playing again. It is only when you are out of action that you realise how much you enjoy playing and competing. I’ve been watching a lot of golf while I was injured and dying to get back at it. I have been lucky in my career that I haven’t had too many injuries up until recently. So I didn’t really miss too much when I put it in perspective of my whole career.
    I was happy with my performance; I finished in a tie for 30th but it could have been so much better. I felt that I didn’t play my best, which was probably to be expected, just not by me! However the really frustrating thing about the week was that I was -5.9 in Strokes Gained for putting and the only thing I could do and did do for the last four months was practise my putting. You would have assumed that I would come out and hole everything after all that practice!
    In my first competitive round of the year I shot 2 under par which, considering how I drove the ball, was a good effort. In my warm-up for round 1 my launch monitor estimated my handicap at 20, and my on-course effort wasn’t much better. As a result, during the round I used my fairway woods from the tee as much as possible rather than trying to sort my driver out on the course. It was all a bit of a struggle but I managed to get myself around and was delighted to sign for a 70. Friday was similar in terms of play but not as good in scoring terms. I shot one over par for a two round total of one under and one shot inside the cut. My weekend was better, I shot 71 and 69. I showed better signs in terms of play but there was a lot of rustiness. However, overall I am very happy with my performance - I made 19 birdies for the week, which was great, but unfortunately I had too many bogeys. A lot of my bogeys were down to rustiness and some missed putts, but I am confident that I can tidy up those types of mistakes once I get back into the full swing of things.
    However the overwhelming success of the week for me was that I added a fourth wedge in my bag and it was a huge success. I led promity to the hole with my wedges in 2012 and then for some reason I went back to carrying 3 wedges. After seeing the difference this week I will be sticking with 4 wedges going forward.
    I am coming away from Kuala Lumpur very happy with my performance and how my wrist held up. Normally I wouldn’t be happy with a tie for 30th but after being out injured for four months it is a good start back. As I head home I have a few things to think about with my swing and what areas of my game I need to concentrate on. I’ll be doing some practice during the week but I have to be careful not to over do it.
    Talk soon,

I’m making my return on the PGA Tour this week. The last tournament I played over here was the RSM Classic in November and this week I am in San Antonio for the Valero Texas Open. I’ve played here a few times, like the course and have had some good results so I’m looking forward to getting back at it.
    I had a few things to do at home so I got in late this week, arriving on Tuesday evening. I played the Wednesday pro-am but unfortunately it was only 9 holes. It would have been nice to get to play all 18 but as I have played the course many times it’s not that big a deal. The main problem I had with my late arrival was that it was first week out and so it was busy with people coming over to say hello and catch up. It was good to see everyone after so long.
    I was having breakfast, watching the Golf Channel and heard them say that we are nearly at the halfway point of the FedEx Season and I was shocked. This is my first event of the year but the season is nearly into its second half.
    I played the nine hole pro-am and whilst I would have liked to play more it was good to get on the course, especially as I need to be playing to get my sharpness back. Thankfully the course hasn’t changed since I was last here. I got a good feel for how it is playing and then after our pro-am round I got some good work done on the range. I am conscious not to hit too many balls so I have to make sure my practice is worthwhile. I did a couple of wedge sessions and one driving session and by the end of it I was feeling good and wanting to hit more which is a good sign. I didn’t het sucked into hitting more which is also a very good sign.
    This is a funny week for me, normally I am here and am thinking about winning so as to get into Augusta. I’m here this week and know a win gets me in, but I am also here looking to ensure that my wrist is ok. It was good in Malaysia and at home last week, but I am still easing it back in. So while I know that a win would get me to Augusta I am not as focused on it as in other years. This is my second tournament of the year and I am trying to get myself ready for the rest of the year. However I won’t be trying any less than normal.
    I’m off at 12.20pm on Thursday and 7.30am on Friday. I’m excited about getting out there and competing, but also nervous. I feel quite like I would have when I started out on tour. There are a lot of good things in my game at the moment, I just need to get into a run of playing tournaments.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Wrong board PH ended up this week with

After two weeks off I’m back on the PGA Tour this week at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. This is not a normal tour event as it is a team tournament, where we play two rounds of fourballs and two rounds of foursomes. This week Shane Lowry and myself are pairing up for the second time - we played here last year and while we didn’t end up finishing too well we showed a lot of promise, whilst a couple of holes cost us from having a very good week.
    We both got in here on Tuesday - I did some practice and club testing and then we played nine holes. We didn’t spend any time practicing foursomes as the Wednesday pro-am was to be played under the greensomes format, were we both hit drives and then pick the best ball and play foursomes from there. It was good to get some practice in as it’s been a year since we would have played the foursomes alternate shot format.
    We are both looking forward to playing as we know we are a strong team. Shane is in great form, coming off a successful week in Hilton Head last week. I’ve have been practicing and playing the last 10 days and am feeling good about my game. I was down in Adare Manor at the weekend playing a couple of rounds and getting ready for this week. I like what I see in my game and I am excited about the season ahead.
    I’ve only played two events so far this year so I kind of feel that this is the start of my season. I’m playing this week and then the next three tournaments, which finishes at the PGA Championship. My wrist is good and hasn’t been causing me any pain, the only issue I have is that my thumb is still a little weak and so can get a little sore. This will go away as I play more and it gets used the strain of swinging the club, but I still have to be careful not to overdo things so as to let it get back to full strength. At least this week there are two days where I am only hitting half the shots!
    We have both played the TPC Louisiana course before. It is a very good layout with plenty of birdie holes and a number of holes that you are happy to make par on. There is quite a bit of water that comes into play which can ruin a scorecard. If you can get through these tough holes then you have a good chance to shoot a score. The likes of the par three holes 9thand 17th are a good examples of holes where you are happy to make par and move on to the next hole.
    I’m looking forward to getting started as it feels like I am just beginning my season and also as it will be fun playing with Shane. We are playing 1.10pm (7.10pm Irish time) on Thursday in the fourballs and then 9.15am (3.15pm Irish time) in the foursomes on Friday.
    Talk soon,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ryder Cup news

The 12-man European Team will now comprise the first four players from the European Points List, followed by the leading five players from the World Points List, leaving Harrington with three names to complete the line-up, a decision which will be unveiled in the week after the final counting even

Available Race to Dubai points and World Ranking points will be multiplied by 1.5 towards the end of the qualification period, the tournament where this starts will be confirmed when the European Tour issues its 2020 schedule later this year.

Qualification points in both 2019 and 2020 will not be available anywhere in the world from a tournament played opposite a Rolex Series event, further enhancing the status of the premier series of events on the European Tour.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

...Harrington having a very good final round in the Byron Nelson, bogey -5 for the day and -14 under for the week... Too far back to win it, but could sneak into the top 5 with a strong finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

...Harrington having a very good final round in the Byron Nelson, bogey -5 for the day and -14 under for the week... Too far back to win it, but could sneak into the top 5 with a strong finish...

Not such good news for Seamus Power alas. MDF.

Happy with that for him always enjoy his interviews

I see Padraig's score has just been amended from a 64 to a 65. Still an excellent round, but disappointing to see a mistake like that. Does anyone know what happened?

• Advertisement

I see Padraig's score has just been amended from a 64 to a 65. Still an excellent round, but disappointing to see a mistake like that. Does anyone know what happened?

The shot tracker was playing up at one point.

So technical error?????

Advertisement