Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary Teacher No Catholic Qualification

• 15-03-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there!

I have recently moved home to Ireland from the UK where I trained to teach. Is it essential to have a qualification in catholic education in order to get a job in a primary school? This was never covered as it is not a part of mainstream teaching in most UK schools. I will only be looking to do part-time substitute teaching here for a while so I was just wondering whether it will prevent me getting job offers. I would happily take a course if it will help with job prospects.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you contacted the Teaching Council to see will they register you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bell Eve

Not yet, I’ll get straight on to that! I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this hurdle that might be able to tell me about their experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

spurious wrote:
    Have you contacted the Teaching Council to see will they register you?

The Catholic certificate has nothing to do with the TC.

You will sub work no problem without it. Indeed most Catholic schools don't look for it but some do. Best to get it just so it can't be used to eliminate you if it is part of the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

The Catholic Education Cert is necessary to get employment (temporary or permanent) in Catholic Schools. They are stricter on this now than before.
    Without it you are looking at trying to get a job in an Educate Together, Community National School, Gaelscoil or other school. It is not needed for substitute work generally.
    Teaching Council registration is necessary for all the schools, this includes your garda vetting. You will also have to do an online occupational health check with medmark before starting too.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

Are you okay for teaching Irish? That might be a bigger problem if you trained in the uk. Best of luck with the move!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Catholic certificate has nothing to do with the TC.

I'm aware of that, but I would check first if the TC are going to recognise the original qualification before spending to add to it.
    They are not very 'outside Ireland' friendly.

derb12 wrote: »
    Are you okay for teaching Irish? That might be a bigger problem if you trained in the uk. Best of luck with the move!

I have Leaving Cert Honours Irish, I am expecting to have to sit some sort of Irish exam but as far as I am aware I’ll have three years to get it!

spurious wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, but I would check first if the TC are going to recognise the original qualification before spending to add to it.
    They are not very 'outside Ireland' friendly.

That’s what I’m afraid of! Everything I’ve read seems to say how difficult the TC can be. I’m a qualified teacher with almost 8 years teaching experience but I’m not at all confident that the TC will care at all about that and base it purely on the paperwork! :/

The Catholic Education Cert is necessary to get employment (temporary or permanent) in Catholic Schools. They are stricter on this now than before.
    Without it you are looking at trying to get a job in an Educate Together, Community National School, Gaelscoil or other school. It is not needed for substitute work generally.
    Teaching Council registration is necessary for all the schools, this includes your garda vetting. You will also have to do an online occupational health check with medmark before starting too.
    Best of luck

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of the occupational health check!

• Advertisement

Bell Eve wrote:
    Thanks! I wasn’t aware of the occupational health check!

A checklist and a phone call is all most people require.

Advertisement