Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Venue Going Out of Business

• 12-03-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Our wedding was booked for October this year. Woke to an email this morning saying they are going out of business due to sewage treatment facilities not up to standard. There was no mention of deposit refunds. We have all the other vendors organised for that weekend. Gutted to say the least.

Anyone else been in a similar position in the past and have any advice?

Much appreciated,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

What was the exact text of the message, did they mention bankruptcy?

I would call them immediately and ask after the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do you have wedding Insurance in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

did you sign a contract with them?

Have a read through the terms and see if you can see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How did you pay? Credit Card, or Debit Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 johnington

skallywag wrote: »
    What was the exact text of the message, did they mention bankruptcy?

I would call them immediately and ask after the deposit.

I would call them immediately and ask after the deposit.[/quote]

It was a long email but these paragraphs give you the jist:

The conclusion being that the repairs carried out to date are inadequate to restore the sewerage treatment plant to its previously compliant condition and suggest that the entire waste water facility now needs replacement. We understand that the house owner’s management company have not planned or provisioned for this, leaving the resorts holiday accommodation and its facilities unusable for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, these issues have left 'snip' with no option but to close.

I must now take time to mind my family and find a new direction, so a receiver will be appointed, in order to insure an orderly windup of the company. I will request they contact you as a matter of priority once they are officially appointed.

They do not mention the word bankrupt specifically.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Do you have wedding Insurance in place?

Yes we have insurance thankfully. I've emailed them this morning to notify them and seek advice about how to proceed but haven't lodged a claim yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think I would be calling them up myself immediately rather than emailing. The mention of a Receiver would have me thinking that they have gone belly up, but I am no expert here either.

Though at least you have some time before the wedding (imagine this happening a week beforehand ...) and also have insurance.

Good Luck.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    did you sign a contract with them?

Have a read through the terms and see if you can see anything

We were issued with terms and conditions when we paid. When we asked about signing them we were told our payment was our agreement with the terms and conditions.

The part about cancellation states that if the venue cancels for reasons beyond their control, attempts will be made to find a similar alternative but if this isn't acceptable then we are entitled to a refund.

Not sure how this works when the venue is going into receivership though. Anyone better at contracts than me?

the_syco wrote: »
    How did you pay? Credit Card, or Debit Card?

Bank transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sounds like they've gone down the toilet! :pac:

• Advertisement

johnington wrote: »
    The part about cancellation states that if the venue cancels for reasons beyond their control, attempts will be made to find a similar alternative but if this isn't acceptable then we are entitled to a refund.
    Are they not the business?

Are they not the business?

Yeah they are the business. I was paraphrasing so I'm not mentioning names on the internet. Insert name of business instead of 'the venue'.

johnington wrote: »
    Yeah they are the business. I was paraphrasing so I'm not mentioning names on the internet. Insert name of business instead of 'the venue'.
    Gotcha. Have they cancelled the event? Or are they holding onto the money, saying that they're trying to get you another venue? Perhaps chase this angle, and look to have the event cancelled, so that you can get your money back.

Also, consider telling your guests, in case they're planning on booking accommodation nearby the venue.

Gotcha. Have they cancelled the event? Or are they holding onto the money, saying that they're trying to get you another venue? Perhaps chase this angle, and look to have the event cancelled, so that you can get your money back.

Also, consider telling your guests, in case they're planning on booking accommodation nearby the venue.

Yup cancelled and are appointing a receiver. I assume that means they're bankrupt and we're at the mercy of that process.

Luckily we weren't at the stage of letting people know the accommodation details so we're spared a bit of grief there.

Panic starting to wear off now, we have sorted another venue for the same date who are being very helpful. Just the battle to get my money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Receiver will pay off any with higher amounts owed 1st or the likes of outstanding bills 1st before you will or would see any money back.

It sounds like they haven't much there or they would have fixed the issues.

Sadly I would say you will see nothing but as you have insurance that may be a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

There is an article in the Indo over this today.

Best of luck OP.

Advertisement