Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents, TheJournal.ie wants to know your best Dublin days out for kids!

• 26-02-2019 9:43am
    Company Representative Posts: 20 Verified rep

Hi parents of Boards.ie! Paula here from TheJournal.ie’s weekly Family Magazine. :)

Some of you may have seen my thread recently looking for great rainy day activities for under-5s. We were blown away by all the thoughtful responses - and you’ll find many of them in our next event guide (I’ll post the link here once live).

The plan from now on is that every week we’ll post in a Boards.ie thread asking you guys for your recommendations for things to do with kids, with a new question each week.

We’ll pick a selection of the best responses for an article in TheJournal.ie’s Family Magazine, which is published every Wednesday. We’ll include usernames next to each contribution, so just let us know if you’d rather yours not be included.

The next question we’re asking - now that spring has almost sprung - is:

What’s your best recommendation for a fun day out for 5-10 year olds in the Dublin area? Where’s your go-to?

Over to you!

Paula.

UPDATE:
    Thanks all for your excellent suggestions!

The piece is here if you'd like to see it:

https://www.thejournal.ie/things-to-do-with-kids-in-dublin-4534605-Mar2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Few years ago I wrote this now, but still relevant.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79390400

• Company Representative Posts: 20 Verified rep TheJournal.ie: Paula

Few years ago I wrote this now, but still relevant.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79390400

Thank you! Have you been there lately? Was it still as impressive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Not Dublin(yet!), but a short hop past Maynooth

Clonfert Pet Farm:
    €25 for 2 adults + family of four.
    Can stay as long as you like.
    Zipline, football pitch, pet farm with birds, pigs, racoons, emus, bouncy castle, go karts all while soaking up good country air.
    Cafe onsite provides huge portions.
    Our 5 love it.

Donadea Forest, €5 in coins entry fee to raise barrier.

Picnic in Phoenix Park near Visitor Centre.

Kildare Maze is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Explorium recently opened in Sandyford, Dublin. I brought my kids, they loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭hello2020

Powerscourt waterfall .. on a summer day its a beautiful picnic spot for kids and family..

• Advertisement

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Not Dublin(yet!), but a short hop past Maynooth

Clonfert Pet Farm:
    €25 for 2 adults + family of four.
    Can stay as long as you like.
    Zipline, football pitch, pet farm with birds, pigs, racoons, emus, bouncy castle, go karts all while soaking up good country air.
    Cafe onsite provides huge portions.
    Our 5 love it.

Donadea Forest, €5 in coins entry fee to raise barrier.

Picnic in Phoenix Park near Visitor Centre.

Kildare Maze is good too

That pet farm sounds incredible!

Explorium recently opened in Sandyford, Dublin. I brought my kids, they loved it.

I have heard about this place, it sounds brilliant! What ages are your kids? Any particular favourites in Explorium?

hello2020 wrote: »
    Powerscourt waterfall .. on a summer day its a beautiful picnic spot for kids and family..

Definitely! Are there playgrounds/kid-specific stuff? Much space for running around?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

I have heard about this place, it sounds brilliant! What ages are your kids? Any particular favourites in Explorium?

We brought our 3 and 6 year old girls to it recently. The 3yo was happy but the 6yo absolutely loved it. There's an room where you interact with a screen on the floor, kicking basketballs, ice hockey pucks and leaves around the place. She also loved the arts & crafts section.

We spent a little over 2 hours in the junior section and probably could have spent longer. I think it's €5 for adults (boo hiss!) and €12 for children of all ages. Parking is free for the first two hours. There's also a small cafe but we didn't go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We went to the Junior Explorium section with a 7, 6 and 3 year old. They all loved it. Great day for them. They didn't kick us out at 2 hours on the button either, like they do at many places. We lingered for an extra half an hour, then went to the cafe. During peak times it's 12 per kid and 5 per adult. Adults are free during off peak. We would definitely go again. Especially on a rainy day when we can't get out and about outdoors.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your excellent suggestions!

The piece is here if you'd like to see it:

https://www.thejournal.ie/things-to-do-with-kids-in-dublin-4534605-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Why is Munster 'Free Days out' and Dublin not?

Dublin has so much to do for kids.

Good days out for free -

Train to Westland Row - Merrion Sq Playground and then the 'dead zoo'.

Skerries - ice cream at Storm in a Teacup, then playground facing the sea, then beach.

Cycling the royal canal from phibsboro to 12th lock and back - playground/ cafes/ coypu en route.

Phoenix Park visitor Centre - Playground/ Picnic Area/ Visitor Centre tour

Botanic Gardens (and Griffith Park playground near by).

Advertisement