Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you feel about a male montessori/preschool teacher?

• 04-01-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all
    My husband is considering a career change and is looking at Montessori teaching/Early Childhood Education. He is amazing with children and our nieces are in Montessori in the US and he has spent some time helping out in their school and it seems like it would be a really good fit for him. I am unsure if there are many men working in this area and worry that he would meet with stigma, both from parents and possibly from creche/montessori owners in terms of job opportunities. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice and especially if you are a man working in this area, we would love to hear from you! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

There are men working in my children's creche

I like them and I like the fact that all children are getting examples of different people being caregivers

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

No experience but I know some men that are amazing with kids absoloutely amazing, no lack of time and energy for kids.
    I know people are weary of men but we are really damaging the younger education with a complete lack of role models.
    I would choose a school/Montessori with mixed sexes 100% of the time but Not everyone will. I guess it will all even out.
    Interesting how ministers want female only professorships but the Montessori teacher is just as important,,, I wonder why this only goes one way?
    Anyway good luck and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

l think it's great. About time we had more men in these roles. When my kids were younger I would have welcomed a mix at their creche. Fair play to your husband and good luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

No issue at all. He should go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dairygold

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! It’s great to see such positive responses :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Only one male worlds as a childcare worker in my daughters preschool but he's lovely and my daughter is very fond of him, she always runs over to give him a hug good bye if he's on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My wife manages a crèche and has had a couple of men working for her over the years. The kids adored them and I think it’s good for the children.
    Downside is the pay it’s not great with little room to move up a level.
    There was a thread here a while back about someone not being comfortable with males changing nappies etc. shouldn’t apply if he’s doing Montessori but worth thinking about as people have some prejudice about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My brother runs a preschool (here in Ireland) after having taught junior and senior infants while a primary school teacher, he's the 'main' teacher there and both loves it and all the kids/parents love him! So another voice saying 'go for it' here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

+1 for the positive theres one guy in our local one and he's an absolute dream kids love him

• Administrators Posts: 13,761 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think the huge majority of normal sensible people wouldn't have an issue with it. But there will always be a section of people who will look for something to give out about, or make assumptions based on nothing. It shouldn't stop him going for it if it's what he wants to do. But I hope he has a thick skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I think the huge majority of normal sensible people wouldn't have an issue with it. But there will always be a section of people who will look for something to give out about, or make assumptions based on nothing. It shouldn't stop him going for it if it's what he wants to do. But I hope he has a thick skin.

Same people who think women shouldn't be mechanics no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, no problem with it here. I have a male relative who works in a creche. He's great with the kids, and popular with all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The fact that you have ask, if its OK, shows you how Irish society treats men with children. Men with children are often treated with suspicion as if they are all predators or something.

By all means go for it, but expect to hear the odd comment from the Philistines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think he will face stigma. There's a lot of close minded people out there, so some Montessories may want to try to avoid that by refusing to hire him.

I wish him the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I know a couple of men who teach Infants and they are gents. Absolutely go for it if ye can manage on the pay. Best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The more the merrier

same for female carpenters or oil rig workers

Advertisement