Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortar residue on windows, cleaning?

• 22-03-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for help. As per photo, recently my wall has begun weeping badly, and is dripping onto the windows. I'm fairly sure it's the mortar and not the limestone. The house is 3 years old and this wall faces out to sea so takes the brunt of the weather. This has only been happening for about 6 months, and is gradually getting worse. I think it'll eventually stop, but in the meantime I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for cleaning the residue from the windows!

20190321-153737.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Cordell

Vinegar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Vinegar should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Ok, off to get a bottle of vinegar.
    I wonder would a sealant stop the dripping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

You need to create a drip detail at the front of the lintel to stop the water running back to the frame. Try a piece of small 10mm wide black rubber foam/plastic along the leading edge of the lintel. The ones that have a stick back/peel stick.

It may be enough to trap the water and drip it down directly.

Just a thought...

Ok, vinegar has very little effect. I think this is gonna be a scrape off job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Ok, vinegar has very little effect. I think this is gonna be a scrape off job.

Try everything possible before you go scraping as you’ll find it extremely difficult to avoid scratching the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

There might be some chemical that can soften it up enough to even power hose the heaviest off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would be tempted to try a powerhose snowfoam lance and snowfoam as these are designed to soften out all types of dropings and dirt to allow removal yet are also tested with lots of different materials to ensure they do not mark or damage them . Follow up the snowfoam with a low pressure power hose and see how it reacts, wash off with a microfibre mitt.

That would be my first port of call as all these techniques have been developed to remove debris from cars without scratching

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would warm soapy water not break it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Car screen wash works on it and if not try car big and tar remover. There are chemicals available but most will react with the paint on the frames if you rub against them. Creating a drip at the leading edge is your best solution, even if you are to just run a bead of silicon out towards the front of the lintel to create a drip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I had something similar, the builder came back and chipped a drip line under neath the window sills.

It's basically an indentend line where the drips don't past the line and drips away from rather than pours down the window.

Make sure whoever's doing it for you is tasty at their work and not a demolition man or woman :D

Thanks for the suggestions folks, gently does it for me so.

Advertisement