Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retired Principal advises Principals to quit moaning.

Options
  • 19-03-2019 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

However the idea that 84 per cent of all principals interviewed had considered stepping down and that 89 per cent experienced health issues can only be read as a self-diagnosed Principal Traumatic Stress Disorder for which the prescription may entail a healthy dose of some serious self-reflection.
    It is important that all involved in education support the demands of the National Principals’ Forum, the IPPN and the INTO and other bodies seeking to improve the well-being of those in charge of our schools.

However, it is also incumbent on these bodies to promote the role of school principal as one where teachers may discover the pure joy of the role. The fact that there are fewer applicants for principal positions may be correlated to the negative overtones of well-intended campaigns.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/i-ve-had-it-with-why-me-school-principals-1.3831321

Does he have a point? I suppose it depends on the school and people you work with too.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mmm, so principals are supposed to suck it all up and smile? Nothing would pay me to be a principal and the daily increase in demands in education prompted me to tell family members to consider a career outside of teaching. The "joy" is hard to maintain in what teaching is becoming.

Advertisement