Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PW Boards Draft XII - Discussion Thread

Options
  • 13-12-2018 9:41am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of the year again.

Time when we all get hyped, ahead of some of the most enjoyable months as Wrestling fans....

lc6ZGj.gif

Errr... no - Necro - I'm not talking about the Rumble to Mania run...

I'm talking about the Boards Annual Pro Wrestling Draft!!!

big_1471388304_image.jpg

So we have a few... personnel changes... this year. Sadly our previous host, beakerjoe has decided to retire from the gig and head out to pasture. I'd like to take this chance to thank him for a fun filled few years!

And that left an opening..... which was filled by...

giphy.gif

That's right - Necro is taking over the reins! (With some guidance from everyone's favorite Bounty Hunter :D )

Ok, enough giffing about (can't promise it will stay that way though).

Most of you long term posters will know all about the draft, but for those of you who are intrigued by the title thread, allow me to explain what PW Boards Draft is all about. The idea is simple enough:
    20 boards posters, over the course of a couple of months, draft a dream roster of superstars and divas, managers and announcers, modern and vintage wrestlers, in a bid to create the ultimate roster.

After everyone has chosen, each person is invited to explain how they would book their roster, detailing storylines, matches, characters, etc over a 4-5 week period.

Last year we had big changes to the creative process of the draft after a larger drop-off following conclusion of the picks phase. That will continue as is detailed below.

But, my dear drafters - MOST who may not be as blessed with time as some of us lunatics... I have some good news in store for you all too.

I'm hoping to introduce more pick related Slammies than ever before!

So here's the premise:

The Sign up Thread: sign-up thread will be posted on January 1st at Midday. This topic will be where everyone signs up to participate. We have 20 slots, and we'll hold places for previous winners and organizers of the competition. Typically we have a few drop outs as well, so don't worry if you miss the first run of slots; we usually need a significant back up list as well!

The Roster Picks Thread: The Roster Picks Thread will open up once the sign-ups are done. We randomly pick the order for each round, some rounds will have special stipulations and bonuses. The rules will be in the roster thread to glance over. All rules will be explained before the first round picks. This is also where I'll announce this year's theme... which I can tell you will be super!

The Write-Ups thread: This will open during Round 10 of the drafting process, and we'll invite everyone to write up their shows.
    The shows will take the format of a maximum of 4 posts per player, which is typically run in this fashion:

1) outline your Fed - Give background etc
    2) Your Build to your PPV
    3 & 4) Your PPV. This is the most important thing and you have been afforded the option of 2 posts to display this should you need due to img limits etc.

We typically give people 2-3 weeks following Round 15 to get their shows up. Different people put different levels of effort in, but I should stress, it doesn't need to be massively time intensive; first and foremost, the draft is about some community fun, and while this will take 3-4 months (We usually try and end round Mania time), it can be real fun and flexible for everyone.

Voting takes place once a deadline passes; we'll post the deadline near the end of the picks. And then we'll post the second deadline once everyone asks for it to be extended :pac: (And the third deadline, and the fourth....) Voting will take place for categories such as Best Roster, Best Write-Ups, Best Heel/Face, Best Non-Wrestler.... etc.

I'll produce a form and share it on the thread here come the deadline. I will also PM each player with an individual code to ensure that it's you voting and not Joe Bloggs trying to steal the title in heelish fashion!! This is a bit new, but basically you can vote as many times as you like - but only your last one with correct code will count:D

For those of you still unsure of what in the blue hell I'm talking about - here's last years threads on the matter:

As always, anyone who has a good idea for a cool stipulation, or indeed rule changes (I'm not planning on making any) - please PM me or indeed post them here!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

While having a peruse through last year's thread, came across this post by DM7 regarding the tag team rule:
    DM_7 wrote: »
    I think let it go since the rules allow it.

I think tag teams need to be smartened up next year. Pushed out to 6 months or 3 months with a tag team title reign in a significant promotion. I think it would be good to see more tag teams picked to be used as tag teams. I say this having picked a 'weak' tag team myself already but would have picked Neville on his own.

What do people think? Keep it as is? Change it up so more quality picks can go seperately?

I quite like the idea above but probably need the veterans of the draft to weigh in on this :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Necro wrote: »
    While having a peruse through last year's thread, came across this post by DM7 regarding the tag team rule:

What do people think? Keep it as is? Change it up so more quality picks can go seperately?

I quite like the idea above but probably need the veterans of the draft to weigh in on this :)

If I were running this thing I'd be inclined to leave it as is but thats because of two things - 1. I like the idea of rewarding creative picks and 2. and this is probably the main thing, you will have to police it. Lots of people go on precedence of picks gone by before and even moving it to 4 months would invalidate a good lot of usually taken picks. Could create a lot of hassle with picks needing to be repicked but people only picking up on it after others have gone etc

Things like the IWGP title being added have helped with some tag picks the past few years imo especially now with more popular guys having held it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If I were running this thing I'd be inclined to leave it as is but thats because of two things - 1. I like the idea of rewarding creative picks and 2. and this is probably the main thing, you will have to police it. Lots of people go on precedence of picks gone by before and even moving it to 4 months would invalidate a good lot of usually taken picks. Could create a lot of hassle with picks needing to be repicked but people only picking up on it after others have gone etc

Things like the IWGP title being added have helped with some tag picks the past few years imo especially now with more popular guys having held it.

Yeah, I'm more for rewarding creativity than preventing it, which is making me consider maybe removing the indy barriers from the beginning rather than midway. Happy to take guidance on it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

As former show runner of the draft, last year was hard for me.

As a player I was burnt out. I can see the issues Raw writers have, as creatively trying to create something fresh and new. I feel it’s tough after what, 5/6 years of signing up to the draft. I pride myself on my submissions and last year I fell way short of my own personal standards. And I just don’t have the passion for it that I once had.

Hence why this year I’ve passed the reigns on to Necro, who has the flair, creativity and passion to rejuvenate the game.

One issue that the game suffers from is a lack of players, and to be honest a lack of new players. Boards itself suffers from that issue, as interest is probably at a low compared to previous years.

The game in its current form is a big commitment. Previously I’ve enjoyed writing 4/5 big write ups plus a nice backstory. For me this amount of work is now unsustainable for me.

That said, a scaled down game doesn’t appeal to me either. It’s just not as fun.

So it’s a catch 22 for me, I don’t have the passion to commit to a big body of work, while I feel a scaled down version is not as enjoyable.

I really do hope there is interest in the game, as it’s a fantastic experience. If anyone can make this game great again, it’s Necro.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    As former show runner of the draft, last year was hard for me.

As a player I was burnt out. I can see the issues Raw writers have, as creatively trying to create something fresh and new. I feel it’s tough after what, 5/6 years of signing up to the draft. I pride myself on my submissions and last year I fell way short of my own personal standards. And I just don’t have the passion for it that I once had.

Hence why this year I’ve passed the reigns on to Necro, who has the flair, creativity and passion to rejuvenate the game.

One issue that the game suffers from is a lack of players, and to be honest a lack of new players. Boards itself suffers from that issue, as interest is probably at a low compared to previous years.

The game in its current form is a big commitment. Previously I’ve enjoyed writing 4/5 big write ups plus a nice backstory. For me this amount of work is now unsustainable for me.

That said, a scaled down game doesn’t appeal to me either. It’s just not as fun.

So it’s a catch 22 for me, I don’t have the passion to commit to a big body of work, while I feel a scaled down version is not as enjoyable.

I really do hope there is interest in the game, as it’s a fantastic experience. If anyone can make this game great again, it’s Necro.

If I revealed the theme for this year's draft might it perk your interest again....:D

I'm torn on the write-up format myself tbh. Last year had more entrants competing which can only be a good thing but I agree wholeheartedly that for me the longer format of days gone by is more enjoyable.

I'm going to keep it as is this year though - and hopefully entice more people into voting/completing with a few extra Slammies thrown into the mix.

Hopefully it does go ahead anyways, I'm like Santa at the moment, checking my stips and checking them twice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks to beakerjoe for his years of service running this, it was a very smooth operation last year. And I know that we will be in equally good hands with Necro stepping up to the plate.

The pick phase seems to always run smoothly, and be enjoyable to all participants, but I do feel that it leaves people with bloated rosters. 22+ characters is a lot to write for, and can be quite a daunting prospect. It also results in a lot of multi-person matches just to give everyone something to do. I'd be in favour of reducing the number of tag-team picks to 4 per player, and also capping the number of matches on the PPV cards at 6.

I don't think there is a need to reduce the number of rounds, but I had an idea that you could make one round optional, with the cost of participation being that you throw one of your earlier picks back into the talent pool. Most people wind up with someone who looks like a decent pick, but just doesn't fit with their roster as it evolves. You could make round 11 the optional round, with the order being decided by the value of pick people are throwing back?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Thanks to beakerjoe for his years of service running this, it was a very smooth operation last year. And I know that we will be in equally good hands with Necro stepping up to the plate.

The pick phase seems to always run smoothly, and be enjoyable to all participants, but I do feel that it leaves people with bloated rosters. 22+ characters is a lot to write for, and can be quite a daunting prospect. It also results in a lot of multi-person matches just to give everyone something to do. I'd be in favour of reducing the number of tag-team picks to 4 per player, and also capping the number of matches on the PPV cards at 6.

I don't think there is a need to reduce the number of rounds, but I had an idea that you could make one round optional, with the cost of participation being that you throw one of your earlier picks back into the talent pool. Most people wind up with someone who looks like a decent pick, but just doesn't fit with their roster as it evolves. You could make round 11 the optional round, with the order being decided by the value of pick people are throwing back?

Thanks Mr. G, your input is appreciated!

I'd be amenable to a reduction in the tag team pick limit, I tend to agree rosters can have a bloated feel.

Along with this and a cut down in the amount of rounds players can pick up 2 picks (3 rounds offered it last year IIRC), you could easily be looking at 4 to 6 less stars to book per roster.
    Imo it would give a more streamline feel and probably automatically resolve the match limits you mention.

I wouldn't be in favour of restricting the amount of matches per card though, if someone wants to book 7/8 single matches then I'd be happy to let them. As I said above, I think a few simple changes to the amount of actual picks (with the three extra ones, there were essentially 18 rounds last year as an eg).

Back to tag teams, reducing the limit also increases the pool of talent available to all players which can only be a good thing. It's probably the better way to go rather than becoming more stringent on the actual tag team rule.

So, in all likelihood with that in mind, a couple of minor changes I will more than likely enter into the rules this year would be:

Tag Team pick limit reduced to 4 teams per player.
    Removal of the eligible promotions rule with the exception of for tag teams.

With regards the latter, I think the game has evolved enough that if people want to draft independent talent and build them into their roster then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good luck to Necro. I'm sure he will do a good job.

My interest in wrestling has plummeted this year, and from what I hear about the ratings I guess I'm not alone in that. Hoping that the Draft can reignite my enthusiasm.

I like the slimmed down method for write-ups personally, as I think if we're being honest the number of people that take the time to read every show would be very small. As a result, I think it makes more sense to do 3-4 write-ups that will be read by circa 15 people, rather than write 5-7 shows that might get read by half that number (at most).

My biggest issue, and I've said this in previous years, is I think far too much momentum gets lost from the point when the picks phase ends, to the deadline for submissions. We almost always go from a fabulous pace to a snail's pace.

My suggestion to counter this would be a three week deadline from the moment when the last pick is made, with provision made for an emergency extension of no more than 1 week if needed (feels like it's a tradition at this stage that we do an extension).

Really the game should be done and dusted a month after the picks are made. If previous years are an indication of things, I think it's reasonable to expect the game be over before the end of March.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Good luck to Necro. I'm sure he will do a good job.

My interest in wrestling has plummeted this year, and from what I hear about the ratings I guess I'm not alone in that. Hoping that the Draft can reignite my enthusiasm.

I like the slimmed down method for write-ups personally, as I think if we're being honest the number of people that take the time to read every show would be very small. As a result, I think it makes more sense to do 3-4 write-ups that will be read by circa 15 people, rather than write 5-7 shows that might get read by half that number (at most).

My biggest issue, and I've said this in previous years, is I think far too much momentum gets lost from the point when the picks phase ends, to the deadline for submissions. We almost always go from a fabulous pace to a snail's pace.

My suggestion to counter this would be a three week deadline from the moment when the last pick is made, with provision made for an emergency extension of no more than 1 week if needed (feels like it's a tradition at this stage that we do an extension).

Really the game should be done and dusted a month after the picks are made. If previous years are an indication of things, I think it's reasonable to expect the game be over before the end of March.

Tend to agree re: deadline.

The Evaluation Round usually opens in Round 10, which last year was on the 25-01-2018 - which also shows the hectic pace of the draft stage actually.

In fact the entire picking was concluded by 16-02-2018.

However, the results were not announced until 16-04-2018 - two months later by which time as you say a lot of momentum was lost.

I think 3 weeks following conclusion of picking is fair, with consideration undertaken to a possible 1 week extension for players to read shows. Realistically, if they aren't entered within the first deadline it's (going off previous years) unlikely submissions will be made at all.

I'm more than happy though to give a week extension in order for players to read and evaluate shows, and also vote.

So in summary, as of now the changes will be:

1. Reduction of the amount of tag team picks from 5 to 4.
    2. Removal of the Eligible Promotions rule from the beginning of the game, with the exception of Tag Team picks.
    3. Write-ups deadline will be 3 weeks following the conclusion the picking stage, with consideration for a possible further week for reading/voting.

But keep the suggestions coming, I'm enjoying it thus far!

• Advertisement

So in summary, as of now the changes will be:

1. Reduction of the amount of tag team picks from 5 to 4.
    2. Removal of the Eligible Promotions rule from the beginning of the game, with the exception of Tag Team picks.
    3. Write-ups deadline will be 3 weeks following the conclusion the picking stage, with consideration for a possible further week for reading/voting.

But keep the suggestions coming, I'm enjoying it thus far!

I would play either way but in previous years I wasn't even a fan of a 5 team limit as all it did was reduce the potential for great picks later on. If people see a bloated roster as an issue they don't have to pick extra people. Others may want to pad feuds out with non stars from their roster members past etc later on

On the removal of eligible promotions ruling, what would be the rule re how someone becomes eligible to be picked? Just having wrestled matches anywhere? Mostly thinking cos you will be the one asked if people are ok and I could imagine a lot more out of left field picks, usually that rule might be removed after later on when promotions/stories are less built on upon the picks made.

The biggest tweak last year was to the number of submissions and I think tbh based on past issues this was a much bigger change than potential pick changes and despite always putting in a big number of shows I support a 4 show/post type limit as it did result in imo more people reading everything and a deadline on when the write up phase ends wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I would play either way but in previous years I wasn't even a fan of a 5 team limit as all it did was reduce the potential for great picks later on. If people see a bloated roster as an issue they don't have to pick extra people. Others may want to pad feuds out with non stars from their roster members past etc later on

It's more about streamlining it. I'm trying to balance overpacking on rosters VS creativity and it's the best I can think of tbh. It also frees up other teams/picks for other players which isn't a bad thing.

On the removal of eligible promotions ruling, what would be the rule re how someone becomes eligible to be picked? Just having wrestled matches anywhere? Mostly thinking cos you will be the one asked if people are ok and I could imagine a lot more out of left field picks, usually that rule might be removed after later on when promotions/stories are less built on upon the picks made.

Tbh, it really doesn't bother me where (or what fed) the picks come from as long as it can be proven the person being drafted has in fact had a pro wrestling match. Someone as an example could draft an entire roster of Irish indy lads, and make a go of a write up surrounding them. I think it might be interesting, and freshen things up a little. Keeping the eligible promotions for teams though I'd still be in favour of.

For the most part I don't see it being a massive issue - the temptation of the big shiny superstars is generally too much but an undercard of guys from around the world I'd find interesting to read (probably not book as my knowledge outside of the main feds is at best limited :o )

But look, it's not a huge thing and if others prefer it staying as is then I won't argue the point massively.

On the last part, I'm sticking with the four post format as devised by beaker last year - it's not my preference but looking at the amount of write-ups/votes last year VS 2016, it's definitely the way to go imo anyways.

But look, it's not a huge thing and if others prefer it staying as is then I won't argue the point massively.

tbh I have no problem with the rule change and perhaps just maybe was asking in such a way as I already have a pick in mind :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Could limit tag picks in the early rounds instead. Say 2 in first 8 then 3 in the rest.

DM_7 wrote:
    Could limit tag picks in the early rounds instead. Say 2 in first 8 then 3 in the rest.

Well as per previous years I will likely let some of the rules lapse for later rounds.

Probably anyways... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DM_7 wrote: »

What about an early round for tag team picks only?

12 noon on Tuesday folks...

tenor.gif?itemid=5011220

And sure I might give a sneak peek at this year's PW Draft theme to whet your appetites....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Hummed and hawed about taking part this year (busy few months at the start of the year!) but may as well! Have really enjoyed the last 2 yrs I've taken part, even if I rushed through my PPV card, so much I left out a match!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey Necro,

I super appreciate the automatic spot but there's not a chance I can participate this year, so if you want to give the slot to someone else, fire away.

I think the last two or three years, I've gotten to the write ups and just not got anything done, and this January is an even busier time for me than ever, so I don't want to commit to something I know I absolutely won't be able to do justice to. it's unfair on you and the other participants. :(

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey Necro,

I super appreciate the automatic spot but there's not a chance I can participate this year, so if you want to give the slot to someone else, fire away.

I think the last two or three years, I've gotten to the write ups and just not got anything done, and this January is an even busier time for me than ever, so I don't want to commit to something I know I absolutely won't be able to do justice to. it's unfair on you and the other participants. :(

That's fine Lord, I can pop you on the reserve list if you'd prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I received your PM. I'm like the Lord, I love being involved but this time of the year is totally manic for me work-wise. Didn't do too bad last year and got everything up bar my PPV.

Chalk me down as reserve. Any lurkers or people who haven't done it before (or understand exactly what it is) I'd implore you to put your name it. It is great fun.

The talent pool gets bigger every year. With the women coming on even further this year everyone will be sure to get a five star roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I do love the Draft but my interest in wrestling has fallen off a cliff the last 2 years and is pretty much non-existant at the minute (as probably evidenced by my lack of posting here). As such I have no ideas and would probably not have enough commitment once it gets to the write-ups so I think I'll sit out this year. I'll still keep an eye on your picks though, seeing the rosters people build is my favourite part.

I do love the Draft but my interest in wrestling has fallen off a cliff the last 2 years and is pretty much non-existant at the minute (as probably evidenced by my lack of posting here). As such I have no ideas and would probably not have enough commitment once it gets to the write-ups so I think I'll sit out this year. I'll still keep an eye on your picks though, seeing the rosters people build is my favourite part.

That's a shame Brad, I enjoyed your work last year :)

I can pop you on reserve list with Shag and Lord in case you change your mind if you like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Thanks for the message Necro, I won't be entering the draft this year trying to get a few projects of the ground and I'm barely giving them enough time.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the draft as I always love the rosters that get created!

When shall the green light be given for the picks to begin roughly.........

Im in no rush, just wondering.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    When shall the green light be given for the picks to begin roughly.........

Im in no rush, just wondering.

I'm gonna leave sign ups for another day or two I think, see if there are any stragglers but more than likely looking at starting next Monday.

Could be a very different draft this year if we don't get more sign ups. We usually hit the 20 mark but even if it is well below that for me that would only make things more interesting (not that I want that), imagine the options given what has gone before if you only had 10/11 others competing for picks.

Could be a very different draft this year if we don't get more sign ups. We usually hit the 20 mark but even if it is well below that for me that would only make things more interesting (not that I want that), imagine the options given what has gone before if you only had 10/11 others competing for picks.

If we did only get 10 sign ups, I would like to see a change to the tag team rule. Stretch it out to a year rather than a 3 month tag period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd love to take part this year, as I've been M.I.A from it in recent years, alas with me heading into the final semester of University, and the work load that'll ensue, I can't commit, but will be following along any chance I get.

Advertisement