Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refund issues with Loveholidays.ie

• 31-03-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

It looks like I'm going to have a problem with Loveholidays.ie. My flight was cancelled March 17th due to Coronavirus.
    I was due to fly this coming weekend. Loveholidays is impossible to contact by phone or email. They haven't responded to messages thru' their booking system.
    Apparently they are only issuing "ATOL protected refund credit note" , not a cash refund, for my fully paid large chunk of cash.
    The refund credit note will be valid until 31st July 2020. If I haven't used it by this date I will be able to apply for a cash refund.
    So the Bastardos are gonna be keeping my money for four months!!!
    Apparently this is illegal and I am entitled to a cash refund, but "...unprecedented crises" etc mean they can do whatever they want, for now. :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at their FAQs (not defending their stance)...
    Why are you issuing refund credit notes instead of refunds?
    The scale of the exercise in contacting suppliers around the globe to process refunds for flights, accommodation and other services, affected by cancellations as a result of the Coronavirus travel restrictions in place globally, is massive and entirely unprecedented. Many of you are asking why we are issuing refund credit notes instead of processing cash refunds. Please rest assured that we are working hard to process refund requests to suppliers but with many different suppliers, and each of them running a different process regarding refunds, we are experiencing significant delays in processing and receiving refunds from suppliers. This in turn impacts on our ability to refund customers in cash. As a result, in line with ABTA guidance, we are seeking to issue refund credit notes to enable customers to keep the value of their holiday and either apply it to future bookings or request a cash refund at a later date. We continue to work on receiving refunds back in from suppliers, so we can refund customers in cash in due course. We thank you for your patience while we continue to work through this process.
    https://www.loveholidays.ie/faq/questions/coronavirus-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

OP is entitled to a refund.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/travel_plans_and_covid19.html#l72128

Give them deadline of 7 days to issue refund otherwise ask your bank to do chargeback (assuming paid by card)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

Orobhsa wrote: »
    OP is entitled to a refund.

Of course they are. The reality is that if everyone demands the refund at the same time the company will run out of cash and probably liquidate. Thereafter no-one will get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

If the company goes bankrupt / is liquidated then charge back via bank will get cost refunded. Your bank if equally liable as travel company for performing service.

But charge back must be initiated within certain time limit from when service was due to be delivered - basically from departure date. Check your own bank.

See here for what happened when HMV went bust

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/chargeback-your-credit-card-s-built-in-protection-1.967775

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looking at the FAQ, TBH it seems a reasonable stance to take. I would imagine they will be months trying to get refunds from all their suppliers and simply don't have the cash to pay everyone back now. We were meant to go to Portugal today and had accommodation booked through Loveholidays. Decided to cancel it two weeks ago and just had to pay a total of €40 (€10 for accom, €30 LH fee) inclusive of the €20 deposit I'd already paid. If I'd held on I'd likely have got that €20 back - at some stage - but am glad now I took the easy option.

I must say though that, in general, LH's refund policies seem very opaque.

• Advertisement
Advertisement