Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New platform for Limerick junction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Quackster wrote: »
    I can't see how you could run Dublin-bound trains later to arrive at LJ at the same time as Cork-bound trains without completely screwing up Kerry services.

Unless you installed a passing loop halfway between Rathmore and Killarney. Which obviously is not going to happen...

Cork services deferred by 5 mins should have no impact on Tralee schedules.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Cork services deferred by 5 mins should have no impact on Tralee schedules.

Cork services deferred by five minutes would mean five more minutes standing around on the platform at Mallow waiting!

Cork services deferred by five minutes would mean five more minutes standing around on the platform at Mallow waiting!

As I said, doesn't impact Tralee schedules...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As I said, doesn't impact Tralee schedules...

That would be a rather sh1tty thing to do in fairness.

That would be a rather sh1tty thing to do in fairness.

Well when they left Cork at xx.20 there was only a 2-3 min wait, they increased that when they moved to xx.25. Moving to xx.30 should only add 2 minutes if even that. They timetable 24/25 mins for a 20-21 min journey plus stopping time.

Example 13.25 ex Cork yesterday scheduled to arrive Mallow at 13.49 and depart 13.51. The actual arrival was 13.45 and departure 13.50. Most services have 4-5 min stop at Mallow.

There is nothing unreasonable that I am proposing. You need recovery time in schedules but IE take it to a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Well when they left Cork at xx.20 there was only a 2-3 min wait, they increased that when they moved to xx.25. Moving to xx.30 should only add 2 minutes if even that. They timetable 24/25 mins for a 20-21 min journey plus stopping time.

Example 13.25 ex Cork yesterday scheduled to arrive Mallow at 13.49 and depart 13.51. The actual arrival was 13.45 and departure 13.50. Most services have 4-5 min stop at Mallow.

There is nothing unreasonable that I am proposing. You need recovery time in schedules but IE take it to a different level.

Pushing Cork departures to xx:30 will conflict with arrivals from Dublin unless the shorter journey times are scheduled. They need to get journey times down to 2:20hrs as some Sunday services currently do and then they can push out xx:30 with perfect connection times in LJ.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Pushing Cork departures to xx:30 will conflict with arrivals from Dublin unless the shorter journey times are scheduled. They need to get journey times down to 2:20hrs as some Sunday services currently do and then they can push out xx:30 with perfect connection times in LJ.

They now use both P4 or P5 for Dublin services so not an issue like a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Passed through LJ yesterday twice and the 07:00 Dublin-Cork and 17:00 Dublin-Cork stopped at platform 1, is platform 4 only used when there’s congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

0700 Dublin Cork is scheduled to stop at P1

Could be many reasons that the 17.00 went to P1.

One to watch is any complains by older people via political members about the change and if IE give in.

• Advertisement

They now use both P4 or P5 for Dublin services so not an issue like a few years ago.

They'll still need to cross either on arrival or departure. Having both timed at the same time is going to cause a delay to either one if everything is running on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’m on the 12:15 Thurles - Cork (Dublin-Cork) it was 7 minutes late and snailed it from North of Goolds Cross to Dundrum. And I’ll bet you it’s going to pull in at platform 1.

Edit: No, 4, but a delay with those stupid American tourists and those stupid cyclists with their racing bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So has the new platform resulted in dramatically shorter journey times or was it just more wasting public money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Del.Monte wrote: »
    So has the new platform resulted in dramatically shorter journey times or was it just more wasting public money?

Waste of money. It wouldn’t be too bad if the trains were actually on time on the mainline. On a non stop MK4 from Dublin to Thurles it arrived 15 minutes late a few weeks ago because of 3 slowdowns on certain parts of the track in Kildare and Laois (I assume because of delays on the Galway and Waterford lines)

The only “benefit” I see will be the delays to Limerick shuttles that happens from time to time. The Cork to Dublin waits on P1 for the shuttle to come in and the Dublin to Cork waited on the track for it to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I’m on the 12:15 Thurles - Cork (Dublin-Cork) it was 7 minutes late and snailed it from North of Goolds Cross to Dundrum. And I’ll bet you it’s going to pull in at platform 1.

Edit: No, 4, but a delay with those stupid American tourists and those stupid cyclists with their racing bikes.

That is a ridiculous statement. I think you'll find that the carriage of bicycles is nothing new on trains, especially if you've been to states with decent railway infrastructure. Tourists will be tourists. 7 mins ffs, not the end of the world ..and something which should be built into the schedule no?

They'll still need to cross either on arrival or departure. Having both timed at the same time is going to cause a delay to either one if everything is running on time.

Add an extra 30 seconds outbound services. It not really a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Closing the overbridge a month into service to throw a roof on it that it should never have opened without.

https://youtu.be/cQp9RC2sfT0

dowlingm wrote: »
    Closing the overbridge a month into service to throw a roof on it that it should never have opened without.

https://youtu.be/cQp9RC2sfT0

Don't get the significance of the YouTube link. :confused:

Incompetent project team overseeing this, what would you expect. Outside of those in Per Way they get very little right.

Anyone know if shelters have arrived yet?

Why does the bridge need a roof all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why does the bridge need a roof all of a sudden.

It's a bit ridiculous it was opened without one. LJ is hell on earth as it is.

The junction is a great spot, no different to any other station.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

If they added less than 1.5km of new line, it would be possible to go from Limerick to Waterford without any reversing movements.
    This would also offer the direct platform connection between services that use the new platform 4.
    One can dream eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Last Stop wrote: »
    If they added less than 1.5km of new line, it would be possible to go from Limerick to Waterford without any reversing movements.
    This would also offer the direct platform connection between services that use the new platform 4.
    One can dream eh :rolleyes:

Irish Rail would prefer to close the Limerick Junction to Waterford line if they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

theguzman wrote: »
    Irish Rail would prefer to close the Limerick Junction to Waterford line if they could get away with it.

You have always been able to go from Limerick to Waterford without reversing, you just don’t stop at Limerick Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 thewexman93

You'd have to wonder how the marvellous engineers of their time ever thought that the Limerick junction layout was sensible. They were capable of tunnelling through all sorts of rock, building marvellous Bridges and viaducts, yet they couldn't even design a station to avoid reversing. On a straight mainline. And that's just the Dublin cork line traffic.

I won't even begin to describe how stupid the shunt was behind the station to the Rosslare bay platform

You'd have to wonder how the marvellous engineers of their time ever thought that the Limerick junction layout was sensible. They were capable of tunnelling through all sorts of rock, building marvellous Bridges and viaducts, yet they couldn't even design a station to avoid reversing. On a straight mainline. And that's just the Dublin cork line traffic.

I won't even begin to describe how stupid the shunt was behind the station to the Rosslare bay platform

It came about due to the station being used by two different railway companies - the Waterford & Limerick Railway and the Great Southern & Western Railway. The 'stupid' shunt as you put it was carried out effortlessly for years and the only stupidity at Limerick Junction has come about in recent years in CIE/IE stewardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 thewexman93

So a train traveling from Limerick to Waterford/rosslare on a direct piece of railway, had to leave the line to divert into the station, run along behind the station, which required the opening of two barriers, travel past the station, before reversing into a dead end platform. When leaving the station to continue the journey it then had to travel towards cork, reverse back behind the station building as far as the direct Limerick to Waterford line, before eventually continuing to waterford.

I think stupid is a particularly accurate word to describe it.

And the business of mainline Dublin to cork trains having to travel past the main platforms before having to reverse into them was equally as stupid. CIE can be blamed for many things over the years, but credit where it is due, at least they have rectified this nonsense

So a train traveling from Limerick to Waterford/rosslare on a direct piece of railway, had to leave the line to divert into the station, run along behind the station, which required the opening of two barriers, travel past the station, before reversing into a dead end platform. When leaving the station to continue the journey it then had to travel towards cork, reverse back behind the station building as far as the direct Limerick to Waterford line, before eventually continuing to waterford.

I think stupid is a particularly accurate word to describe it.

And the business of mainline Dublin to cork trains having to travel past the main platforms before having to reverse into them was equally as stupid. CIE can be blamed for many things over the years, but credit where it is due, at least they have rectified this nonsense

That's an interesting revisionist view but don't worry as soon the final solution will see the 'stupid' Waterford/Limerick JUnction line converted into a greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

well I'm not opposed to Greenways on defunct railway lines, but this one is only a sleepy backwater poised on the brink of extinction because that's how IE want it. Limerick to Waterford should be a main artery, that's quite obvious.

Advertisement