Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I heard a lot if people didn't pass the aptitude test, so maybe that's why they are having more tests.

I'm also told the first batch of new recruits will be starting on March 10th.

Has anybody been given their start date yet?
    I'm starting March 10th got the good news on Tuesday :)

The process took longer than expected! 4 Months!!

Applied Early Dec 2013.
    Written Assessments Late Jan 2014
    Driving Assessment & Interview Mid Feb 2014
    Medical Late Feb 2014
    Training Early March 2014

They have been VERY thorough with the selection - written tests, challenging driving assessment, formal interview, very thorough medical and even down to checking the references, both my referees (current & previous employer) rang me after DB phoned them to say how thorough the questions they asked were - freaked me out until I got a call from HR later that day telling me it's all good when am I ready to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dorutzica

How was the written assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

macroman wrote: »

Applied Early Dec 2013.
    Medical Late Feb 2014

They have been VERY thorough with the selection - written tests, challenging driving assessment, formal interview, very thorough medical and even down to checking the references, both my referees (current & previous employer) rang me after DB phoned them to say how thorough the questions they asked were - freaked me out until I got a call from HR later that day telling me it's all good when am I ready to start!

Congrats on getting the job :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

coolbond wrote: »
    I got invited for assessments this saturday in the gresham,did anybody else get the invited?

letter today inviting me for Driving assessment + interview march 25th! :-)

Applied Early Dec 2013.
    Medical Late Feb 2014

So did you start on Monday? How's it going for you so far?

What are you doing? Are you just out on the road getting use to the different types of busses or is it all classroom for now?

• Advertisement

So did you start on Monday? How's it going for you so far?

What are you doing? Are you just out on the road getting use to the different types of busses or is it all classroom for now?
    Going well so far, there's only 6 of us training so quite a small group.

It's a mixture of classroom and driving. First 2 days in the classroom (introductions, eco driving, cyclist awareness, issuing of uniforms etc.), then 3 days on the road, another day in the classroom for ticket machine training, then 3 more days on the road, then hopefully "graduation" on Tuesday week before being sent to the depot for more hands-on training with the mentors for a week or two. There is a massive investment on driver training which is refreshing, constant CPC training and they're operating a constant driver assessment program called vigil vanguard which using cameras, GPS and motion sensors with the trainers gives great feedback to the driver and company on how a driver is driving as they can track back on certain events (good and bad). Us new drivers under-go it before being appointed as permanent after 12 months.

We've type trained most buses in the fleet, visited a few depots and gotten rid of most of our bad habits! We're the first new drivers into the company since 2006 so the training school has had to renew all of its training courses as all new drivers will already be licensed, so its more focused on eco-driving and intensive city driving. The trainers are the soundest guys you'd meet, garage staff and most drivers have been very welcoming and giving great advice.

Going well so far, there's only 6 of us training so quite a small group.

It's a mixture of classroom and driving. First 2 days in the classroom (introductions, eco driving, cyclist awareness, issuing of uniforms etc.), then 3 days on the road, another day in the classroom for ticket machine training, then 3 more days on the road, then hopefully "graduation" on Tuesday week before being sent to the depot for more hands-on training with the mentors for a week or two. There is a massive investment on driver training which is refreshing, constant CPC training and they're operating a constant driver assessment program called vigil vanguard which using cameras, GPS and motion sensors with the trainers gives great feedback to the driver and company on how a driver is driving as they can track back on certain events (good and bad). Us new drivers under-go it before being appointed as permanent after 12 months.

We've type trained most buses in the fleet, visited a few depots and gotten rid of most of our bad habits! We're the first new drivers into the company since 2006 so the training school has had to renew all of its training courses as all new drivers will already be licensed, so its more focused on eco-driving and intensive city driving. The trainers are the soundest guys you'd meet, garage staff and most drivers have been very welcoming and giving great advice.
    do drivers get paid weekly or monthly?

do drivers get paid weekly or monthly?

Weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

The trainers are the soundest guys you'd meet, garage staff and most drivers have been very welcoming and giving great advice.

contrary to the opinion of a lot of posters on boards, drivers are just normal people. If you are a decent person, they will be decent back to you. No sensible person looks for confrontation in life, but unfortunately those crazy who do look for trouble seem to use dublin bus and post on here.

I and other drivers, believe it or not are very happy that the company is hiring again. I know i can speak for all drivers when i say i wish you all the best in your new job.

Now a few tips for new drivers.
    1. Do not rush to try and make your time, fact is some of the timetables are unrealistic, the inspectors in central control know this, so when you arrive late at the terminus call them and they will sort you out.
    2.Passengers for the most part pay the correct fare , if they dont or have a dodgy Free travel pass, Dont get involved. You are a driver, that is all. Let the inspectors deal with the fare dodgers. Trust me it will end with a trip to see the manager if you get involved in policing fare dodging.
    3.Just agree with the passenger. ie. i have been waiting 2 hours for a 46a! ( just agree thats terrible, should not have happened , give them the ticket they want, and forget about it.)

Follow these three tips and you will have a decent job, if not prepare for frequent visits to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulvalentine

Yes, I got called for written assessment this Saturday in Gresham.
    Has anyone any tips or advice about what to expect here?
    Thanks, Val

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ted44

Thanks, Val

Hello paul,
    I to have received a letter to attend a written assessment on 22/3/14, at 12 o'clock in the gresham lasting a minimum of 2 hours,
    i have no idea what to expect like yourself i'm in the dark,
    just take it as it comes and see what happens.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulvalentine

ted44 wrote: »
    Hello paul,
    I to have received a letter to attend a written assessment on 22/3/14, at 12 o'clock in the gresham lasting a minimum of 2 hours,
    best of luck

Best of luck to you too!

Thanks, Val
    Hello paul,
    best of luck
    Garda vetting form - you'll need to know all your previous addresses & PPS number.

Two part written test which takes approx 30 mins - basic maths test regarding fares and simple addition, and a 200 word written report about a scenario they give you (e.g. an accident).

Physchometric test is approx 200 multiple answer questions (tick a box!), don't try to bluff it as it can catch you out. It's just to see what type of character you have e.g. I am a confrontational person TRUE or FALSE, or I enjoy working as part of a team TRUE or FALSE.

Very easy and there's loads of time to do everything. Make sure you have ID, and arrive about 20 mins before the start time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PYRAS13

Good luck to all of you lads

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ted44

Garda vetting form - you'll need to know all your previous addresses & PPS number.

Two part written test which takes approx 30 mins - basic maths test regarding fares and simple addition, and a 200 word written report about a scenario they give you (e.g. an accident).

Physchometric test is approx 200 multiple answer questions (tick a box!), don't try to bluff it as it can catch you out. It's just to see what type of character you have e.g. I am a confrontational person TRUE or FALSE, or I enjoy working as part of a team TRUE or FALSE.

Very easy and there's loads of time to do everything. Make sure you have ID, and arrive about 20 mins before the start time. Good luck!
    C
    Cheers pal thanks

Hello paul,
    best of luck

How did the exam go today? Was there many there?

Just heard today that only about 1 in 10 people are passing the driving assessment.

All these people have the full bus category licence and the CPC and most of them are failing?

I don't know what they are doing that so many are failing but can the really all be that bad?

Just heard today that only about 1 in 10 people are passing the driving assessment.

All these people have the full bus category licence and the CPC and most of them are failing?

I don't know what they are doing that so many are failing but can the really all be that bad?

really? I had my assessment and interview today and didnt find it bad at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I wouldn't listen to gossip nonsense I heard 80% were failing on the drugs test, with so many unemployed and people working for pittance in some private operators the company has a lot of qualified applicants and they can afford to be choosey thats all.

cdebru wrote: »
    I wouldn't listen to gossip nonsense I heard 80% were failing on the drugs test, with so many unemployed and people working for pittance in some private operators the company has a lot of qualified applicants and they can afford to be choosey thats all.

is that not gossip nonsense too ?

• Advertisement

is that not gossip nonsense too ?

Exactly which is why I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭rx8

Was up in the training school last week for CPC course, and seen guys coming in for interview in Jeans and Jumpers.
    One guy apparently drove to the gate of the garage, and asked the instructor "How am I fixed on the left".
    I have it on good authority that guys are turning up with criminal records, forged licences, no CPC cards, etc.

The company had hoped to have most of the 70 vacancies filled by now, but only 6 or 7 have actually started thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Classic example of people being sent to interviews by the Welfare, only to deliberately sabotage themselves because they don't want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Classic example of people being sent to interviews by the Welfare, only to deliberately sabotage themselves because they don't want to work.

Nonsense, if these people have gone to the bother of getting a license to drive a bus, it is highly unlikely they done it for the craic. Pretty sure most people wouldn't hack if they were handed key to a bus and told to drive thru the city centre. I would find the experience intimidating, I would be terrified of missing a cyclist in my blind spot.

Nonsense, if these people have gone to the bother of getting a license to drive a bus, it is highly unlikely they done it for the craic.

If someone with a bus licence wants to be taken seriously at a job interview, they won't turn up in jumper and jeans. Wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I went in with a shirt, jeans and shoes.

When I started there were guys driving for 30-40 years but just could not reverse the bus as they would get confused badly.

1 guy was there nearly 2 months and he would mount kerbs all the time they tried everything with him.

It is or very close to been one of the best companies for training and having driver's standards at such a high mark.

Nonsense, if these people have gone to the bother of getting a license to drive a bus, it is highly unlikely they done it for the craic. Pretty sure most people wouldn't hack if they were handed key to a bus and told to drive thru the city centre. I would find the experience intimidating, I would be terrified of missing a cyclist in my blind spot.

Unless of course if you already had a job and a social welfare payment then it would definitely be in your interest not to get a job that would mean losing that social welfare payment.
    I know of people that have left DB in recent years and get regular work with private operators cash in hand and still get social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If someone with a bus licence wants to be taken seriously at a job interview, they won't turn up in jumper and jeans. Wake up.

Are you an interviewer for Dublin Bus. How do you know what people are wearing for interviews there. Maybe you are seeing employee walking into the garage to start their shift.

Eh, I didn't say it. Read post #113 above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 I lost me ticket

WTF
    I went for that driving assessment & interview 3 weeks to the day and have'nt heard anything back. And yes RX8, I was wearing a suit which I had bought especially for the day, €600 I'm out of pocket. If I don't get that job there's going to be trouble, BIG trouble., cause I'll never, never use Dublin bus again and I'll tell everyone I know not to use Dublin bus. CUT'S!!!! there will be big CUT'S then.

Advertisement