Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great delas Curry's /PC world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

This is a bit of a dodge if you ask me.Why can't they just give the discount at the till.Why do you have to give them your bank details.With all the fraud in the news lately there with Supervalu customers I would be very slow giving my bank details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a well established company, they're hardly going to sell your details to a Nigerian prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a well established company, they're hardly going to sell your details to a Nigerian prince.
    No but some person working for them might not be as honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

lets all buy our tinfoil hats...

Same applies to anyone working in an institution which processes financial transactions for you. The alternative is to keep your cash under you mattress and stay away from the evil internet which has the sole intention of defrauding you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The problem is you may not be giving your details to Currys.
    Like Supervalu, they could be paying some low cost outsourced outfit to capture and manage all the data for them.

That's my point, the same applies to every financial activity you make no matter the company. And not just on the internet, but in store too.

It is a well established company but I'm sure all the people that have gone off on supervalu weekends foretold that all their details will be stolen through a breach of security in a company in Ennis.
    Third party company could be involved,wouldn't have to be Currys

Ok so, just keep away from ever buying on the internet then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So a company takes your money, has 3 weeks to earn interest on it before you can even start to make a claim (where they'll obviously be hoping you forget all about it) and then gives it back to you (how quickly?) as long as you've given them your bank details...?

And this is some how supposed to be some sort of "deal" for the customer?

43375432.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok so, just keep away from ever buying on the internet then.

Why?I have never given my bank account number over the internet and no company has ever looked for my bank account number when completing a transaction.Credit card or paypal is a different thing all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Shiminay wrote: »
    So a company takes your money, has 3 weeks to earn interest on it before you can even start to make a claim (where they'll obviously be hoping you forget all about it) and then gives it back to you (how quickly?) as long as you've given them your bank details...?

And this is some how supposed to be some sort of "deal" for the customer?

43375432.jpg

Hardly lending them money considering they are selling iPads at same price as Apple, wait a few weeks and get €30 back for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Doesn't matter, you shouldn't have to submit bank details for a one-off €20-50 rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

its a tried and trusted business model from the states. Its to encourage more sales from people on the basis that they'll get a rebate in the future. The hope is that people forget and dont claim the rebate.

Store wins in 3 ways:
    1. more sales
    2. Interest on funds received/no interest paid on overdraft/better working capital mgmt
    3. unclaimed rebates
    As long as you can claim your money and not be subject to fraud issues you win (assuming purchase price is the same as competitors)

PErsonally I dont like it. Just charge a lower sales price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

codie wrote: »
    This is a bit of a dodge if you ask me.Why can't they just give the discount at the till.Why do you have to give them your bank details.With all the fraud in the news lately there with Supervalu customers I would be very slow giving my bank details

i told them that i was going to harvey normans to get my tv there , store manager overheard me say this infront of other customers and was only too happy to take me aside and deal with me quielty and i got a further 10% off the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

daheff wrote: »
    its a tried and trusted business model from the states. Its to encourage more sales from people on the basis that they'll get a rebate in the future. The hope is that people forget and dont claim the rebate.

A bit off topic here but its interesting just how much data can be gleaned from loyalty cards, credit cards and bank accounts these days. An interesting story below to do with this.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I think there is no risk that they will go rogue, but that database would be stolen. Other risk is if company would be still solvent next year, as technically speaking they are taking a loan from customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Shouldn't be supported for the way they treated Declan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

machalla wrote: »
    A bit off topic here but its interesting just how much data can be gleaned from loyalty cards, credit cards and bank accounts these days. An interesting story below...

The whole thread's of topic since the second post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

https://www.curryspcworldcashback.ie/ie/en/pages/xmas/how-it-works

I see you have to submit your claim between 21 and 60 days after purchase, and then wait for the claim to be validated, and then wait two weeks for payment.

If this is anything like the Samsung cashback deal you could be waiting a couple of months for the claim to be validated. The claim company then need to get the cash off the promoter before they issue the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

machalla wrote: »
    A bit off topic here but its interesting just how much data can be gleaned from loyalty cards, credit cards and bank accounts these days. An interesting story below to do with this.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

This is an urban myth...I heard this story in relation to Walmart, Target,Sainsburys and Tesco

Dont get me wrong...they can data mine and get huge information from their databases on you..but i call shenanigans on this particular story (because i've heard it about too many stores)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They might have a Nigerian Prince or three working for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Soarer wrote: »

Why what happened? Wasn't he the guy who was helpful and innovative on their boards.ie thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Magi mix nespesso machines are selling for 89.99 which I thought was a great price plus I had a voucher for 10 € off as I had bought an airfyer there last month . Well pleased ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Site of line now :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

codie wrote: »

An employee explained the reason behind the 21 days, is to allow the 21 day return option to expire, otherwise they would have people return it, and still claim the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

currys and good deal....hahaha someone have a good sense of humour:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

What happened Declan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

groom wrote: »
    What happened Declan?

declan got shafted.:(

edit...in fairness to explain. he was their MD and set up the "talk to currys" on boards, and things were improving and we were getting good service off him, and he would answer your emails at 1155 pm on a sunday evening about a broken electric toothbrush or some other disaster, and held all the cool ipads or nexus pads especially for boards peeps........and then he was gone. no explanation, just gone, the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

emo72 wrote: »
    declan got shafted.:(

edit...in fairness to explain. he was their MD and set up the "talk to currys" on boards, and things were improving and we were getting good service off him, and he would answer your emails at 1155 pm on a sunday evening about a broken electric toothbrush or some other disaster, and held all the cool ipads or nexus pads especially for boards peeps........and then he was gone. no explanation, just gone, the end.

you still havent explained how he got shafted

Advertisement