Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question regarding renewal period for expired licence.

• 16-03-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

My license is due to expire soon and I would like some confirmation of the renewal period for an expired license - I don't want to leave anything to chance and I can't get NDLS on the phone today, which is not a surprise. I would also need to verify my PPSN with Intreo, but people are being urged to only go there where it is completely essential.

The NDLS have a notice on their site explaining that licenses which are due to expire in the next 2-3 weeks will be given priority. I am not a regular driver (do not own a vehicle of my own, etc) so I have no problem leaving the renewal off for another time when things are hopefully a bit more normal around the place.

From the NDLS FAQ:
    You can apply for a licence/learner permit up to three months before the expiry date. An applicant for a driving licence must have held a driving licence in the 10 years preceding the date of application, an applicant for a learner permit must have held a learner permit in the 5 years preceding the date of application. If your driving licence has expired for 10 years or more or your learner permit has expired for 5 years or more you must start the application process afresh and take a driver theory test, mandatory driving lessons and a driving test.

So, going by that, whether I apply for renewal of my license before it expires or in the following 10 year period, the renewal process would be identical and I would not need to do anything else?

I really don't want to have to do anything else that I've already done - theory test or anything...

Hoping someone can confirm that I am reading and understand this info correctly :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I renewed my last learner permit in Jan 2019 with my previous one having expired in 2017. There was no difference in the process when compared with the previous renewals (that I had done before the expiry dates).

This should apply for full licences as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

zepman wrote: »
    I renewed my last learner permit in Jan 2019 with my previous one having expired in 2017. There was no difference in the process when compared with the previous renewals (that I had done before the expiry dates).

This should apply for full licences as well.

Thanks, you are correct. I managed to get through to them after trying a few times and yer man indeed confirmed that it must be renewed within 10 years of the date of expiry of your last one. Knowing this, I'll leave it off for the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Do you have a licence or a learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Do you have a licence or a learner permit?

Full license for 10 years. I got it confirmed on the phone anyways thanks:

- 5 years for provisional

- 10 years for full

That is, from the date the license expires, you must renew it within the above period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Somewhat related but realised my own license expired a few weeks ago.

I renewed my passport last year online and it was great, whole process completed in a few minutes and I had my new passport delivered after 3 days, was very impressed with the ease and efficiency. Thought/hoped it would be somewhat similar with the driving license, how wrong.

Looks like you can renew online but only with a verified MyGovID account and in order to get that you need a Public Services Card (PSC). I don't have either so would have to do a face to face registration to confirm my identity despite having a driving license for renewal and an Irish passport. Due to the current Covid19 scenario all appointments for a PSC card have been postponed indefinitely. So much for online.

Resorting so to completing the D401 paper form and bringing the additional paper work in person I expected the office to be in Smithfield where the Motor Tax office is situated. Wrong again, 4 NDLS Dublin centers available but all miles away in Leopardstown, Citywest, Santry or Clarehall and nothing really near the city centre. Again given Covid19 situation no walk in services available and appointment required but no appointment slots available for a Sat or even midweek for at least two weeks.

Great, what a means to make things easy with some joined up thinking and shared platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you only renewed your passport you should have been given the option to use the same photo for your PSC card. the PSC card can then be sent to you directly with no further action on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

If you only renewed your passport you should have been given the option to use the same photo for your PSC card. the PSC card can then be sent to you directly with no further action on your part.

Interesting, Passport renewal was about a year ago and don't remember any option to apply for PSC card with same photo. Photo was a self taken one for passport anyway and sent electronically so don't see why that can't be an option for PSC card now but all these governmental agencies and departments like to make things difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interesting, Passport renewal was about a year ago and don't remember any option to apply for PSC card with same photo. Photo was a self taken one for passport anyway and sent electronically so don't see why that can't be an option for PSC card now but all these governmental agencies and departments like to make things difficult.

mine was a digital photo as well though one from a photo booth. I got a letter in the post a while after i got the passport asking if they could reuse the photo for a psc card

Advertisement