Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New platform for Limerick junction

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

You have always been able to go from Limerick to Waterford without reversing, you just don’t stop at Limerick Junction.

That's a bit wrong. You're mincing his words. It's clear he meant run Waterford to Limerick (still stopping at Limerick Junction) without reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

91wx763 wrote: »
    That's a bit wrong. You're mincing his words. It's clear he meant run Waterford to Limerick (still stopping at Limerick Junction) without reversing.

Proposing using P4 for the service?, only problem then is installing a crossover to connect down Cork P4 line to Limerick branch. Would say not enough space for a crossover and if there was lot of signalling conflicts means long connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Proposing using P4 for the service?, only problem then is installing a crossover to connect down Cork P4 line to Limerick branch. Would say not enough space for a crossover and if there was lot of signalling conflicts means long connections.

No by using a new platform (P5 say) which would be directly beside P4.

I don’t see how the signaling could be anymore complex then it is now where the train coming from Waterford needs 3 different movements to continue onto Limerick.

Last Stop wrote: »
    No by using a new platform (P5 say) which would be directly beside P4.

I don’t see how the signaling could be anymore complex then it is now where the train coming from Waterford needs 3 different movements to continue onto Limerick.

Fair enough but accessing the Limerick line directly might still be a problem.

For the million(s) to facilitate such an project I think you would be better spending the same money extending CTC to Cahir and eliminating manual crossings which should allow a high speeds.

Fair enough but accessing the Limerick line directly might still be a problem.

For the million(s) to facilitate such an project I think you would be better spending the same money extending CTC to Cahir and eliminating manual crossings which should allow a high speeds.

Upgrading Limerick junction to a proper interchange station would offer far more benefits than just improvements to journey times between Waterford and Limerick.

Unfortunately Irish Rail have removed the second part of vision 2030 from the website but that report detailed the increase in passenger numbers simply by upgrading the interchange station (Athlone was another example cited).

I don’t think the costs would be that high. I would estimate in the region of €20m. You wouldn’t upgrade many level crossings for that amount.

Given the strategic importance of Limerick junction, I think this should be prioritised over upgrades further east as they would likely offer similar journey time savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 thewexman93

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That's an interesting revisionist view but don't worry as soon the final solution will see the 'stupid' Waterford/Limerick JUnction line converted into a greenway.

What is "revisionist" about the way I have described the shunt? I've just watched a video from 1988 of that very shunt taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Looking at diagrams of the layout online just now.

Messy.

I see the direct LK-WD line has no actual platforms.

How far is the LK-WD line from the station?

Could platforms be built on the LK-WD line, as it crosses the mainline on a bridge?

And link these platforms to the main station?

Like Berlin-Sudkreuz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Also needs platforms on the eastern side of the main line, with a crossing bridge or subway?

Upgrading Limerick junction to a proper interchange station would offer far more benefits than just improvements to journey times between Waterford and Limerick.

Unfortunately Irish Rail have removed the second part of vision 2030 from the website but that report detailed the increase in passenger numbers simply by upgrading the interchange station (Athlone was another example cited).

I don’t think the costs would be that high. I would estimate in the region of €20m. You wouldn’t upgrade many level crossings for that amount.

Given the strategic importance of Limerick junction, I think this should be prioritised over upgrades further east as they would likely offer similar journey time savings.

Its around €1 million per crossing so such funding would transform the Limerick-Waterford line or any current line.

Spending 22m in Limerick J is madness for little return.

Its around €1 million per crossing so such funding would transform the Limerick-Waterford line or any current line.

Spending 22m in Limerick J is madness for little return.

Managed to find the missing second part of the Irish Rail strategy.
    Turns out both our proposals are estimated at €20m and expected to increase passengers by the same amount (100 per day) meaning your above statement is incorrect...

https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Imported/irishrail_28febfinal_part21.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Geuze wrote: »
    Looking at diagrams of the layout online just now.

Messy.

I see the direct LK-WD line has no actual platforms.

How far is the LK-WD line from the station?

Could platforms be built on the LK-WD line, as it crosses the mainline on a bridge?

And link these platforms to the main station?

Like Berlin-Sudkreuz.

the time to do this was when the new platform was built. IE has no intention of doing anything for the Waterford line except let it die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What is "revisionist" about the way I have described the shunt? I've just watched a video from 1988 of that very shunt taking place.

Amazing, I actually watched it taking place on numerous occasions at Limerick Junction with no problems/delays.

Turns out both our proposals are estimated at €20m and expected to increase passengers by the same amount (100 per day) meaning your above statement is incorrect...

https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Imported/irishrail_28febfinal_part21.pdf

That report is flawed and outdated. Spending money on the line will deliver more benefits than upgrading Limerick Junction.

That report is flawed and outdated. Spending money on the line will deliver more benefits than upgrading Limerick Junction.

What proof do you have of that? It is a report written with input from Irish Rail. You may have your opinion but that doesn’t override fact.

Isambard wrote: »
    the time to do this was when the new platform was built. IE has no intention of doing anything for the Waterford line except let it die.

Jesus we love the Irish Rail bashing around here.
    The time to do that was not when they built the new platform. The new platform was a relatively straightforward job which offered significant benefits.
    Grade separating the junction is entirely different.

I don’t believe that it would be feasible given the distance between the platforms and the LK - WD mainline and more importantly the level difference required. Raising the track by 5m would cause problems to the direct curve to Heuston from LK for example.

you think that's IE bashing? I think it's a pro-rail stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Geuze wrote: »

pretty sure it crosses at grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

How many people are actually travelling to Limerick Jct each day.

IE 222 wrote: »
    How many people are actually travelling to Limerick Jct each day.

2056 boarding, 1951 alighting according to the census.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/National_Heavy_Rail_2019_FA_ONLINE.pdf

Sorry I meant from the Waterford line. Is it known where the people using the line are actually travelling to. My guess would be demand is for travel into Waterford followed by onward travel to Dublin. In that instance would the service not be better off cutting the Limerick Jct aspect and running earlier services from Tipp into Waterford which can also connect with the 7:50 to Dublin.

The whole timetable is a shambles really giving connections to Tralee and Galway ect where if they just focused on Waterford, Dublin and maybe Limerick it would allow more flexibility.

• Advertisement

IE 222 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant from the Waterford line. Is it known where the people using the line are actually travelling to. My guess would be demand is for travel into Waterford followed by onward travel to Dublin. In that instance would the service not be better off cutting the Limerick Jct aspect and running earlier services from Tipp into Waterford which can also connect with the 7:50 to Dublin.

The whole timetable is a shambles really giving connections to Tralee and Galway ect where if they just focused on Waterford, Dublin and maybe Limerick it would allow more flexibility.

Why would anyone travel from Limerick junction to Waterford onto Dublin??

I agree regarding the timetable. You’d need to have all 3 timetables open to try and understand what’s going on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why would anyone travel from Limerick junction to Waterford onto Dublin??

I agree regarding the timetable. You’d need to have all 3 timetables open to try and understand what’s going on

he is suggesting that an earlier morning service should be put on and run from tip town to waterford and connect into one of the morning dublin services from waterford, rather then run from limerick junction.
    that might have merrit for traffic which would be going to waterford but for dublin traffic i would think your point probably still stands, it would be quicker i would expect to go to dublin via limerick junction.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

he is suggesting that an earlier morning service should be put on and run from tip town to waterford and connect into one of the morning dublin services from waterford, rather then run from limerick junction.
    that might have merrit for traffic which would be going to waterford but for dublin traffic i would think your point probably still stands, it would be quicker i would expect to go to dublin via limerick junction.

Depends where your boarding which why I'm quizzing where the actual numbers are travelling to. Using the Waterford service gets travelers into Dublin earlier.

but if you were from Carrick, Clonmel or Cahir and the times worked....

They're all reasonably sized towns and deserve a better service

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Isambard wrote: »
    but if you were from Carrick, Clonmel or Cahir and the times worked....

They're all reasonably sized towns and deserve a better service

sure, if it is actually quicker to go via waterford to dublin then that option should be available.

the line needs much earlier and later services and a lot more services as a whole.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

This study is one by consultants, pure waffle.
    Just look at the opening photo, it is of 8208, which belongs to NIR / Translink, not Irish Rail.

tabbey wrote: »
    This study is one by consultants, pure waffle.
    Just look at the opening photo, it is of 8208, which belongs to NIR / Translink, not Irish Rail.

The vast majority of reports are done by consultants? They are the experts after all. This report was done for IR with input from IR about IR.
    Isn’t the photo an enterprise train which is covered in the report? Not that a photo makes much difference anyway

Advertisement