Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2020, 20:22   #46
0lddog

Are VAG still fitting the clutch pedal that is prone to failure due to metal fatigue / weld failure ?

Not an expensive item to fix but freaking dangerous if it fails while in traffic and/or pedestrians & cyclists nearby
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 20:36   #47
teediddlyeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreire View Post
What Skoda models / years would you avoid and what one's would you recommend? And if you have the time, the reasons for your choice's?
Right, hmmmm if buying new probably go with a 1.5 petrol. Nothing wrong with the 1.0 just a bit weedy for my liking. The 1.0 mpi in smaller cars like the fabia seem to be bulletproof.

Wouldn't buy a diesel unless doing heavy motorway driving as they all have adblue now and ever more emission tech. Dpf's and turbos seem to be soft on the ea288 although the 2.0 seems to be better while the 1.6 has more injector issues. Also the coolant issue on these engines.

Used I'd prefer a 2.0 ea189 engine. Have the troublesome egr but not as bad as the 1.6 which can also have injector issues. Good engine the CFF ðŸ‘

The petrols are ok. The older chain driven 1.2tsi had chain issues but were mostly ok otherwise. The newer ones were better a lot had a problem with the camshaft pulley throwing the timing belt off, should be all fixed under a recall.

In short for new cars I'd get a petrol unless a diesel is absolutely necessary. Older I'd get a ea189 2.0.

All dsg. They seem to have come on a long way
Thanks from:
26-01-2020, 21:29   #48
jmreire

Quote:
Originally Posted by teediddlyeye View Post
Right, hmmmm if buying new probably go with a 1.5 petrol. Nothing wrong with the 1.0 just a bit weedy for my liking. The 1.0 mpi in smaller cars like the fabia seem to be bulletproof.

Wouldn't buy a diesel unless doing heavy motorway driving as they all have adblue now and ever more emission tech. Dpf's and turbos seem to be soft on the ea288 although the 2.0 seems to be better while the 1.6 has more injector issues. Also the coolant issue on these engines.

Used I'd prefer a 2.0 ea189 engine. Have the troublesome egr but not as bad as the 1.6 which can also have injector issues. Good engine the CFF ðŸ‘

The petrols are ok. The older chain driven 1.2tsi had chain issues but were mostly ok otherwise. The newer ones were better a lot had a problem with the camshaft pulley throwing the timing belt off, should be all fixed under a recall.

In short for new cars I'd get a petrol unless a diesel is absolutely necessary. Older I'd get a ea189 2.0.

All dsg. They seem to have come on a long way
Well, in any make, I'd prefer 2.0 engines as a matter of course. But all our Skodas have the 1.6 diesels, and that was what we bought back in 2015/16, so they are presently not even close to the half-way mark for changing klm/wise. We would be a high mileage Family, so the diesel engine was the choice.The way things are going presently though, next change will be for Hybrids /Petrol or EV, depending on circumstances at the time, which is admittedly down the road a bit.
As for the DSG transmission..while I have driven vehicles with automatic transmissions in the past, I would not have been a big fan of them, but since taking the plunge 2 years ago, and buying an automatic ( E Class w212 ), I have changed my opinion on them. But still, the news I was hearing about VAG DSG boxes was not encouraging...seems they were prone to problems, and expensive problems at that, so good to hear that they have improved, because in general, I like VAG cars, and a good DSG box would be a bonus.
Thanks for your info, For sure, I'll bear it in mind when purchasing again. Thanks.
27-01-2020, 00:00   #49
Snugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by teediddlyeye View Post

The petrols are ok. The older chain driven 1.2tsi had chain issues but were mostly ok otherwise.

The newer ones were better a lot had a problem with the camshaft pulley throwing the timing belt off, should be all fixed under a recall.

mine has never been recalled ( 152 fabia ) 1.2 should i be looking into it ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion