Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a hair cut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

:(

It's starting to look a bit wild out there. :eek:

Me personally, i'm wearing a hoody to hide it but is only temporary fix.

thumb_pathogen-zero-on-twitter-no-this-is-evil-kermit-https-t-co-50624812.png

When will our front line hair dressers be back at work?
    Go to boots and your own hair clippers

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You can't pull off what ken pulls off.
    I'm not sure any of us want to pull off what Ken. pulls off tbh.

This is lockdown, not Oz.

cena wrote: »

Boots are sold out as are most places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Learned to do it myself 5 years ago before going travelling and wasn't going to be attending foreign barber's. Worked out great and haven't looked back, recommend it to any lad who isn't sporting a fancy hairstyle. Get a good clippers and itll last forever with good maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

KilOit wrote: »
    Learned to do it myself 5 years ago before going travelling and wasn't going to be attending foreign barber's. Worked out great and haven't looked back, recommend it to any lad who isn't sporting a fancy hairstyle. Get a good clippers and itll last forever with good maintenance

You don’t have to crop your whole head though what you can do is get some wax and plaster it down, then you can taper up the sides until you resemble Hitler or something.

Fine comb in hand and with the longer attachment you can trim the rest with a sort of lift action, working up and away without having to run it so close to your barnet just make sure you’ve got the right lighting behind you so you can see what’s going on. Proper barber techniques I can’t say what it’ll be like when you free it up hair types permitting but can just lop it all off if it’s a disaster; job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

cena wrote: »

And get a bowl, and bring back the Beatles look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Add some pretty barrettes and combs instead - will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

By better half shaved my head using a 3 all over it looked grand at the time (couple of weeks ago) but it has got a bit tufty looking unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Just got clippers, how often do you oil it , manual doesn't say?

Can I go all over with a 6 and then fade the sides?

Smallest guard is a 3 so do i have to use no guard at all to get a 0 on the fade?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The post isolation urge to do something drastic with my hair is strong, and I needed a cut anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

My dog is currently in the same predicament...... He's beginning to look like a mop :eek:

One thing attempting to play hairdresser for my boyfriend, another for this little spoiled brat who loves his fresh blow dry and trim !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Boots are sold out as are most places!

powercity had loads last week and they deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lwaker. wrote: »

Smallest guard is a 3 so do i have to use no guard at all to get a 0 on the fade?

This is going to end well!

(On a serious note, trying to do a fade by yourself, especially a skin fade 0, is one hell of a difficult thing.... just go for a 3 all over)

Gave myself a 2 all over just before lockdown, my kids are finally unafraid of me this week.

PARlance wrote: »
    This is going to end well!

(On a serious note, trying to do a fade by yourself, especially a skin fade 0, is one hell of a difficult thing.... just go for a 3 all over)

Gave myself a 2 all over just before lockdown, my kids are finally unafraid of me this week.

What length is.the 2 ive got 3mm 6mm 9mm and.12mm

Can I just run around with the clippers flat on my head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Only if it's cordless

dmc17 wrote: »
    Only if it's cordless

It is

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Oil it before each use, I use WD40.

Yes you can.

You would need a number 2 attachment, surprised there's none with your clippers. Give it a go anyway, if it's sh1te just shave it all off. It'll grow back in no time.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Oil it before each use, I use WD40.

Yes you can.

You would need a number 2 attachment, surprised there's none with your clippers. Give it a go anyway, if it's sh1te just shave it all off. It'll grow back in no time.
    I have the attachments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

I have the attachments

This should give an idea of the attachment lengths

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I have the attachments

Go for it, good luck. I've been cutting Mr Bubos hair for years. I'm tempted to mow off my shoulder length mop too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I cut my own hair today

3 observations having never done it before

1. Clippers have power adjustments. I spent probably close on 45 minutes wondering why not much hair was being cut and the motor seemed to be dying until I realised it needed more juice.

2. I now look like I have alopecia. But it is still a massive improvement on what went before, since my hair basically grows out sideways above and behind my ears and so needs to be kept short.

3. The double crown is slowly progressing into a bone fide bald spot.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I cut my own hair today

3 observations having never done it before

1. Clippers have power adjustments. I spent probably close on 45 minutes wondering why not much hair was being cut and the motor seemed to be dying until I realised it needed more juice.

2. I now look like I have alopecia. But it is still a massive improvement on what went before, my hair basically grows sideways behind my ears.

3. The double crown is slowly progressing into a bone fide bald spot.

What number

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What number

Started with 12mm on top, 3 on the back and sides, then blended them together with a 6.
    It's boring but functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

3mm is generally #1
    6mm is generally #2 etc

If going same length all over then just front to back and whatever way you want. Just make sure to go over it plenty of times to ensure you've got everywhere at the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Took the plunge today and cut my own hair and made an absolute balls of it haha.... At least hair grows!!!

I wondered how hard it could be so went straight in with a 0 and blended it into a 1..... This was a mistake ha.. Ended up with a step like its 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Bobblehats wrote: »
    zllsttududb21.jpg

*not me

That's insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Anybody want to start a skinhead gang?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Irish_rat wrote: »
    That's insane