Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Platform (Netflix)

Options
  • 04-04-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Given this movie is trending on Netflix, I'd say a fair few people have watched it, so worth getting a discussion going.

Not your typical movie - a sort of dark, sci-fi dystopian thriller. It's Spanish, and most definitely best watched subtitled in original language.

Personally, I loved it. Reminded me a lot of the movie Cube and it's sequels, to draw a comparison.

The premise is basic - a vertical prison with hundreds of floors, each occupied by 2 inmates, who change floor every month. One month you could be on level 10, the next, level 180.

Every day the food platform starts at Level 0 laden and descends with a dazzling banquet of food, stopping at every level for only a moment or two.

Understandably, the food doesn't last long beyond the first few dozen floors....

Personally I didn't watch the trailer as I imagine it probably gives a lot away, particularly in this type of film which are always best left to unfold on screen without any real expectations.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched is and thought it was decent enough - similar in approach to Cube, the late 90s film, although not quite as good. There's some more discussion of it in the Netflix thread, though I know a fair few folk in there didn't think much of it.

I just watched the trailer and it gives away far too much - not quite in a "no point watching the film" way, but definitely it gives away things better found out while viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I enjoyed it well enough. It's definitely a film that doesn't answer any questions about the context. You just have to accept that there's a lot of questions you might have that just won't be answered. Accepting that, it's fun and philosophical but intermittently gory.

Advertisement