Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hunt

• 01-08-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I recognised her face but had to google, it's Liberty Belle from GLOW!

Anyway.. trailer..

Anyone see that 2006 film Severance? Kinda reminds me of that crossed with Hostile crossed with The Game

The writers have the Watchmen TV series in common:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7226510/
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0511541/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks interesting, but it's a shame they showed the entire move in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The top comments on the trailer kinda saying that too.

I'm kinda leaning towards agreement there... unless they are doing some kinda stealth campaign. I didn't figure blumhouse for that but I don't watch a lot of horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks fun. Great cast... I mean, they have the Golden God! Sold right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Blumhouse are making some great stuff at the moment.

Avenging Force is still my favorite of these hunting films... Michael Dudikoff & Steve James kick ass 80's style.

I'm all in for these kind of films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So this has been pulled from the schedules, and looks like even Trump weighed in on the film, getting uppity about it, the point sailing over his head as is often the case and called the film "racist" :rolleyes:

No doubt coming to a Netflix subscription in the near future.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/08/09/trump-criticizes-hollywood-amid-controversy-over-political-satire-hunt/?noredirect=on

President Trump took another swing at “Liberal Hollywood” on Friday afternoon, describing people in the industry as racist and “full of great Anger and Hate!”

“They like to call themselves ‘Elite,’ but they are not Elite," he tweeted. “In fact, it is often the people that they so strongly oppose that are actually the Elite.”

He also argued that an upcoming movie intends “to inflame and cause chaos.” The tweets echo words spoken to members of the media outside the White House earlier in the day, when he also described Hollywood as racist and “the kind of movies they’re putting out” as a “tremendous disservice to our country.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

'murica. Jesus Christ.

Even the trailer in the OP has been removed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Republicans: the melt-iest of all snowflakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Republicans: the melt-iest of all snowflakes.

Between Brexit and Trump, I've never witnessed such insecure, incompetent, histrionic "winners" in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Isn't the hero of the film one of the deplorables who is kicking the asses of the smug elite liberals?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on... what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

political reverse of The Purge?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The 2012 Scandi film of the same name is a great film. Stars the guy who plays hannibal in the eponymous TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Understandable for the distributor, the last thing they want is dead red staters on thier consience!! It'll come out at some point officially and be widely seen unofficial I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can understand them delaying it in America for many reason be it the recent mass shootings or a president that doesn't understand satire but pulling it from schedule is just...In Trump voice SAD!

However the rest of the world is actually pretty rational when it comes to understanding entertainment is just that entertainment and there was no need to pull it outside of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

seems like Universal it pulled entirely https://variety.com/2019/film/news/the-hunt-canceled-universal-betty-gilpin-hilary-swank-emma-roberts-1203298774/

why would "liberals" hunt people ??

co-written by Damon Lindelof
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8244784/

probably never get an answer, its fine if its satire but is the satire actually played out or is it all setup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I can understand them delaying it in America for many reason be it the recent mass shootings or a president that doesn't understand satire but pulling it from schedule is just...In Trump voice SAD!

However the rest of the world is actually pretty rational when it comes to understanding entertainment is just that entertainment and there was no need to pull it outside of America.

Have Universal said it is delayed worldwide?

I assumed it was just held back in the US.

seems like Universal it pulled entirely

co-written by Damien Lindleoft
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8244784/

probably never get an answer, its fine if its satire but is the satire actually played out or is it all setup ?

I assumed this was a misunderstanding based on Trump's ramblings because if the film is "anti-conservative" then why would the liberals be the ones doing the hunting? It would be the other way around.

I was fairly sure the synopsis I read a couple of weeks ago stated it was a rich vs. poor notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I assumed this was a misunderstanding based on Trump's ramblings because if the film is "anti-conservative" then why would the liberals be the ones doing the hunting? It would be the other way around.

I was fairly sure the synopsis I read a couple of weeks ago stated it was a rich vs. poor notion.

I'm perplexed also. From the trailer Hillary Swank who is the most famous Liberal is playing her character as an obnoxious elitist liberal who loathes those who have not made it. She and the other liberals are clearly the villains of this.

The hero is the "deplorable" along with others who is fighting back and kicking ass.

How its anti conservative and pro leftie liberal is a mystery to me.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'm perplexed also. From the trailer Hillary Swank who is the most famous Liberal is playing her character as an obnoxious elitist liberal who loathes those who have not made it. She and the other liberals are clearly the villains of this.

The hero is the "deplorable" along with others who is fighting back and kicking ass.

How its anti conservative and pro leftie liberal is a mystery to me.

I don't want to watch the trailer because of spoilers but are other Elites shown as liberals too or just Swank? How is she identified in the trailer as liberal?

If the Elites are indeed liberals then in order for the film to anti-conservative the Deplorable are going to turn out to be the bad guys.

If people are wrong and the film is not anti-conservative then it is simply a rich vs. poor story.

No doubt the shelving of the film is going to be spun as Hollywood backing down after Trump made those comments.

On that matter, Trump is not the first person to say video games and movies are responsible for violence but isn't it fair to say that they can be an influence unstable people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It sounds like Big Dave style irony ripping the p!ss out of wingnut types. Storylines included Saddam Hussein using a huge beam weapon to turn British soldiers into homosexuals

I don't think Trump is warning them they'll be subject to irony though. I think he is suggesting that it will be some fetishistic celebration of what liberal elite evil types would love to be already doing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+dave+comic&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjtuJ-slfvjAhVUEsAKHWS7DycQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=big+dave+comic&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..0i24.3610.4676..4899...0.0..0.79.403.6......0....1.........0i67j0j0i30j0i8i30.Tt9nrfS6Y5w&ei=uThQXa34C9SkgAbk9r64Ag&bih=560&biw=360&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=inmv#imgrc=EDzN0wOxluhJtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

few have seen the film but THR says based on the script, its liberals hunting 'deplorables' https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ads-pulled-hunt-wake-mass-shootings-1229829 its original title was Red state vs Blue state.

few have seen the film but THR says based on the script its liberals hunting deplorables. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ads-pulled-hunt-wake-mass-shootings-1229829 its orignal title was Red state vs Blue state.

Okay so the liberals are the hunters and the hero is apparently a conservative type. So in fact the film as it comes across at the moment seem anti-liberal.

So for people to claim it is anti-conservative means they have seen the film or script and know of some twist that makes Betty Gilpen the villain. Or the are just very confused about the trailer.

My guess would be is that the film takes the piss out of all sides in America. As one executive at Universal says in that article the movie "is meant to show what a stupid, crazy world we live in".

Spon Farmer, your mistake is ascribing logic to a typical American Moral Panic, which generally comes from the pearl clutching snowflakes in the conservative demographic. None of this makes sense, and just like James Gunns firing from GOTG3, Universal are responding to an irrational, idiotic campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the movie isn't happening, here is a song to cheer us up
    New Model Army - The Hunt

There are lasses getting trouble on their own home beat
    There are old folk battered in the open street
    In this city of hours
    There are eyes that see but say nothing at all
    There are ears that hear but they don't recall
    In this city of hours
    So we followed your man back to your front door
    And we're waiting for you outside
    'Cause not everybody here is scared of you
    Not everybody passes on the other side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7K88HqFQ8M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had great potential for satire, people turning to the thing they clam to hate and I’m sure there would have been the occasional slip about some people thinking it’s ok.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Spon Farmer, your mistake is ascribing logic to a typical American Moral Panic, which generally comes from the pearl clutching snowflakes in the conservative demographic. None of this makes sense, and just like James Gunns firing from GOTG3, Universal are responding to an irrational, idiotic campaign.

There is a campaign?

I was only aware of Trump making a few comments but I wasn't aware of there being a whoopty-do about it. Putting a movie or TV episode on delayed release because of a real world event is nothing new. Studios want to make money - a movie like The Hunt could be hurt if released soon after a mass murder. It is a sensible decision for the American market.

I don't know if James Gunn deserved to be fired but the comments he made were disgusting regardless of how long ago, but he behaved with dignity and class through it all and showed he was not that same person so he earned himself a second chance. The same cannot be said for everyone - some people (both famous and not) ranted like knackers about it. And there were others in projects who did deserve to be fired.

Some people here are reacting to this delay in that same type of panic you say the Yanks get.

The Hunt is not being buried in a booby-trapped tomb for all eternity. Universe are simply going to wait for a another date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't want to watch the trailer because of spoilers but are other Elites shown as liberals too or just Swank? How is she identified in the trailer as liberal?

If it's not getting released why are you worried about spoilers?

If it's not getting released why are you worried about spoilers?

It is getting released

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It is getting released

When? I can't see anywhere that says a new date.

FYI - #nospoilers the trailer is a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The temporary delay and all the hullabaloo is a nice bit of publicity.

When this does come out a lot more people are going to be interested than would usually be for this type of low budget fare.

Advertisement