Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic the Hedgehog - Live Action.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interested to see how the re-design pans out (although I still think the rest of it looks like a steaming pile of cack). The problem with the current design is that they’ve gone for this weird semi-(ahem)’realistic’ look while still being blatantly cartoonish. They probably need to shift the balance considerably more towards the pure cartoonish look - a lot of the rest of the film looks ugly as sin, but certain aspects seem to be embracing a live action cartoon aesthetic so can imagine they’d easily get away with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If the trailer is anything to go by, what Sonic looks like is the least of the film's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I had assumed this would be hideous, just watched that trailer out of curiosity and I'm pleasantly surprised.
    I've definitely been watching too many kids movies lately, so my quality bar is pretty low (there is some truly awful ****e out there).

But it looks like it could be fun. Looks better than any transformers movie in the past 10 years anyway.
    I'd they make the changes to Sonic's look, b it could be 'not horrendous', which is all it needs to be really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Something like these?:
    479237.jpg
    479238.jpg

Source
    Source
    It seems like they are making him an alien (in the trailer he says something about saving their planet) so it's weird that they feel the need to change his design all that much.

The fact he's wearing red nike's annoys me more.
    Why the hell would an alien hedgehog be wearing them? Stupid product placement/advertising tie-in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

They weren't Nike the tick was inverted.

I am totally against this pandering to fans because the don't like the design. Outrage because a game character over 25 years old doesn't meet your demands. It's ridiculous.

The director/ designers had a way they wanted the movie to look now because people are unhappy they are changing it. Sets a ridiculous precedent.

I do agree sometimes companies need to listen to fans ( microsoft backtracking on the original xbox one setting for example) but this really is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're a gamer, there is a similar story about a game called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
    It demoed last year at some game events and wasn't well received - the graphics were very poor.

Similar to what is happening with Sonic, Koji Igarashi ordered the graphics in Bloodstained to be completely redone, and fans are praising him for his passion and dedication to the project.

More here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18526654/bloodstained-trailer-release-date-castlevania-igarashi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Mr E wrote: »
    If you're a gamer, there is a similar story about a game called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
    It demoed last year at some game events and wasn't well received - the graphics were very poor.

Similar to what is happening with Sonic, Koji Igarashi ordered the graphics in Bloodstained to be completely redone, and fans are praising him for his passion and dedication to the project.

More here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18526654/bloodstained-trailer-release-date-castlevania-igarashi

Thats not even remotely similar. The game was always shown as inprogress states since it was partly crowdfunded. Games are also rendered in realtime so you don't need to rerender and recompostite all the scenes like you would for a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah a work in progress being not well received is very different to grown men complaining that the mascot they liked as a kid is not up to their standards and crying for it to be changed.

If we take marvel as an example alot of the suits in the movies look different to the comic books we love as kids.

To children nowadays it's the way those superheroes will ever look to them and probably forever. Imagine Christopher Nolan changed how the tumbler looked in batman just because people were unhappy with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or, another interpretation: "studio know they already have a potential turkey on their hands, and willing to reshoot just to claw back some goodwill with the inexplicably passionate Sonic fanbase that keeps the flame for an otherwise forgettable 90s mascot ".

Regardless of the character's design, I'd say this will do modest box office taking, assuming Carrey's fee wasn't sky high; these low-ball, CGI mix kids movies seem like money for old rope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few things can be simultaneously true.

1. Giving in to fan demands can be a shortcut to 'bad art'. Filmmakers (or gamemakers) should be confident enough to go with their creative instincts, regardless of whatever the loud Internet people yell at them. Many fan-friendly films are pretty bland and uninspiring, even if they satisfy their core audience.

2. Sometimes something is genuinely misjudged and the negative reaction is justified. The negative reaction to the Sonic design isn't limited to fans - it's been widely ridiculed. That suggests something is truly off, and technically this is still a 'work in progress' so there's time for the filmmakers to tweak things. Check out Alita - early trailers received plenty of complaints about a particularly strong 'uncanny valley' effect for Alita, so the character design was carefully tweaked in the months before release to avoid that. This is similar, albeit potentially more significant in scale.

3. Just to stress once again, in light of all the above, that I think this film looks like pish and don't think a more 'loyal' Sonic design will fix the multitude of concerns raised by that trailer. Again: wtf is up with Gangsta's Paradise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I couldn't really care at all about Sonic, I will see it for Jim Carey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I’m sure the online horde will approve of the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

retalivity wrote: »
    The fact he's wearing red nike's annoys me more.
    Why the hell would an alien hedgehog be wearing them? Stupid product placement/advertising tie-in

Sonic's wearing Puma's. I wonder how much of this CGI abomination's design is down to that particular bit of product placement?

https://weartesters.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-dons-the-puma-speed-500-in-debut-trailer/

Sonic1.jpg?resize=1080%2C608&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

recyclops wrote: »
    They weren't Nike the tick was inverted.

I am totally against this pandering to fans because the don't like the design. Outrage because a game character over 25 years old doesn't meet your demands. It's ridiculous.

The director/ designers had a way they wanted the movie to look now because people are unhappy they are changing it. Sets a ridiculous precedent.

I do agree sometimes companies need to listen to fans ( microsoft backtracking on the original xbox one setting for example) but this really is just stupid.

This would be a fine argument IF the original design wasn’t such a horrendous uncanny valley mess.

I couldn’t care if they made sonic green, or humanoid or whatever else once it worked. I’m guessing a lot of people feel the same. The problem is that whatever this mess is, doesn’t work. It’s creepy. I think they didn’t go far enough and stopped in a strange place between where they wanted hyper realistic and trying to stay true to the original design. Either go for it and make it work or stick to what’s known, I dunno.

Fans demanding single pupil, glooved and big shoes sonic is another kettle of ballparks that I do agree is a little overboard and would be unnecessary if they can develop the design to something that works, but I honestly think the creature in the trailer is uncomfortably ugly. Then again, ugly is subjective, There could be people who like the design but It’s pretty telling when an official trailer has double the dislikes and widespread discussion etc.

Like even crowds like watchmojo are up in arms ha ha. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvb3cmnspsc

Be interesting to see where it goes from here now that a rework is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's great they plan to change the character's look and all but I'm still not going to go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A picture has popped up of the redesigned Sonic (twitter here and slightly clearer picture here).
    Assuming it's real, it does at least look a lot better than before (better proportions, eyes, gloves).
    Can't imagine it will help with the rest of the movie looking like pants though (too late to CG Jim Carrey out of the movie?:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sonic The Hedgehog (2020) - New Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures

https://youtube.com/watch?v=szby7ZHLnkA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if they reshot any of the live-action portions; the design's better for sure, but still can't see this being the smash hit Paramount will want.

Presumably the budget just ballooned too because of these redesigns, pushing box office targets up even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

EJK_ka8XUAAlHyc?format=jpg&name=medium

Sonic 2019: Uh, Meow?
    Tails: Here, eat a snickers.
    Sonic 2019: Why?
    Tails: You're not you when you're hungry.
    Tails: Better?
    Sonic 2020: Much better!
    EJK_lEqX0AAH6h7?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement

Jesus that looks like MASSIVE improvement! I'm on board now. It actually looks very funny too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It'll still be an average movie, but tonally, it seems to be hitting the right note now. Jim Carrey doing 90s Jim Carrey. Not sure how that will appeal to the current generation, but it brings me back to his Mask/Ace Ventura days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

chrislad wrote: »
    Jim Carrey doing 90s Jim Carrey

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I wonder did they spend a lot more on the budget with the changes. I'd like for the film to be a success after listening to the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It looks alright actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really liked that trailer.

A lot better than the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

The first trailer was almost 'The Room' levels of bad. The design of sonic. Gangster's Paradise in the background. It was like they were attempting to pull off a big budget Sharknado.

That new trailer is not only 110% improved, it looks like an entirely different movie altogether.

So looks like the FX studio responsible for effectively saving the film has been unceremoniously closed, with everyone sacked; apparently they were working on Crunch shifts to quickly fix the terrible Sonic. These CGI FX houses sound like total sweatshops;

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/breaking-mpc-studio-behind-the-lion-king-shuts-down-vancouver-studio-183671.html

• Registered Users Posts: 84,755 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who is voicing Sonic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who is voicing Sonic?

Ben Schwartz

Advertisement