Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kiith wrote: »
    I just don't think it would be a fitting end to one of the main characters in the story.

Han and Luke didn't exactly go out well either. :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Lando I knew was a cameo character with a penchant for capes & a bald robot slave. Let's not get carried away because Billy Dee Williams is a charismatic actor. You could fit Lando's biography on a postage stamp.

Oh wait, sorry it's Star Wars. Go ahead, get carried away.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, well done :)

Yeh. Never, ever understood Lando's popularity. But, mmmm, Star Wars does have form in turning nobodies into beloved characters.

BTW...[nerd] Lobot chose to be permanently connected to cloud city's main computer for "administrative" reasons.[/nerd] :D

If the alternative is some crap scene leftover from TFA and some CGI I'd say having her die off screen is a lesser evil.

What's, more than likely, going to happen will be a composite CGI effort. There can't be enough appropriate cuts from the last two films to put together a convincing set of scenes for Leia in IX.

Unless, of course, she's on screen for ten minutes and blown away.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they do it. Probably the most interesting aspect of the film. But, I think an opening crawl saying "GENERAL LEIA is dead and the newly restored Resistance is in mourning..." would have been the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Tony EH wrote: »
    What's, more than likely, going to happen will be a composite CGI effort. There can't be enough appropriate cuts from the last two films to put together a convincing set of scenes for Leia in IX.

Unless, of course, she's on screen for ten minutes and blown away.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how they do it. Probably the most interesting aspect of the film. But, I think an opening crawl saying "GENERAL LEIA is dead and the newly restored Resistance is in mourning..." would have been the best approach.
    She was hardly onscreen for 10 minutes in the previous 2 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Could she appear in a series of force visions of the past, which would negate her hair and attire being the same as VII?

Inviere wrote: »
    Could she appear in a series of force visions of the past, which would negate her hair and attire being the same as VII?

Or a hologram.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Some set pics:

NINTCHDBPICT000428198889.jpg?strip=all&w=721

I love this one:

NINTCHDBPICT000428198818.jpg?strip=all&w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000428198728.jpg?strip=all&w=932

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    py2006 wrote: »
    Some set pics:

NINTCHDBPICT000428198889.jpg?strip=all&w=721

I love this one:

NINTCHDBPICT000428198818.jpg?strip=all&w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000428198728.jpg?strip=all&w=932

Where about are they? Ireland or maybe England during the recent hot spell was it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't think there was any filming in Ireland this time around (well not so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They're just outside London, according to the Google machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

They've barely started filming the episode 9 and already articles are appearing online, critical of the movie.

A year and a half of this, it'll be the most hated movie nobody has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

There's what, 12 members of the Resistance left? And they're going to defeat the Empire, led by Force-Incarnate Rey and the millenium fcuking falcon.

Even if JJ and screen writer were to draft an original script, it would take some serious plot armour/deus ex-m to straighten out this installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Defunkd wrote: »
    There's what, 12 members of the Resistance left? And they're going to defeat the Empire, led by Force-Incarnate Rey and the millenium fcuking falcon.

Even if JJ and screen writer were to draft an original script, it would take some serious plot armour/deus ex-m to straighten out this installment.

I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember them mentioning that they couldn't get word to their allies to support/rescue them, or that they wouldn't respond to the call anyway. I'm guessing this band of allies will be roused into action in IX as a result of Luke's actions (as was alluded to by Luke himself I think in VIII).

Defunkd wrote: »

Looks like they're going to go to planet Beneton and recruit a load of check boxes, then win...somehow.

sei_26460697-d64e.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=540%2C460

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh FFS don't start that.

Anyway; latest casting news is that former Dr. (Who) Matt Smith has bagged an as-yet undisclosed role. Hopefully something more substantial than the 5 seconds of him seen in Terminator: Genisys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Will be interesting to see how they try (and fail) to save this cluster**** of a trilogy.

Oh FFS don't start that.

:pac:

I jest... :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks like they're going to go to planet Beneton and recruit a load of check boxes, then win...somehow.

What's that a reference to?

Will be interesting to see how they try (and fail) to save this cluster**** of a trilogy.

It'll be a minor miracle if JJ can abandon his form and actually pull together a decent conclusion. Although, where Johnson has left the story has put him in a really difficult situation. Writing a convincing scenario whereby the Resistance get out of the shit they're in now and somehow winning the day is one hell of a job. It wouldn't be a task to envy

Although, I think Disney's bigger problem is where they go after this thing is done with. Solo's belly flop has soured the "A Star Wars Story..." brand, so they're tentative about that area, hence the regrouping effort.

I think this trilogy will just limp on to its death and Disney will look to move away as fast as possible to newer Star Wars ground, as it were. In years to come, I don't think people will be too kind to it, once they actually analyse its content, or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

What's that a reference to?

The United colours of Benetton?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll be a minor miracle if JJ can abandon his form and actually pull together a decent conclusion. Although, where Johnson has left the story has put him in a really difficult situation. Writing a convincing scenario whereby the Resistance get out of the shit they're in now and somehow winning the day is one hell of a job. It wouldn't be a task to envy

I don't think it's that irredeemable a scenario TBH; the end of Last Jedi kinda implied there was a nascent rebirth of the rebellion coming, and a script could easily tell of scattered attacks or resistance against the First Order merging into a new rebellion, headed by the Rea, Finn & pals.

Hell, the fact the Episode VII script simply shrugged its shoulders and went "the empire v. rebels fight is on again. Whoops, we blew up the New Republic" doesn't exactly speak to a broader narrative dignity that the writers will try too hard to renew the rebellion.

And if anything, Abrams has fewer spinning plates and mysteries to deal with than the number Johnson had thrown in his lap. It's not like most around here haven't made their feelings clear on Episode VIII, but I challenge anyone to write a satisfying 2nd part with as many trailing strands as Abrams left for his successor.

I don't think it's that irredeemable a scenario TBH; the end of Last Jedi kinda implied there was a nascent rebirth of the rebellion coming, and a script could easily tell of scattered attacks or resistance against the First Order merging into a new rebellion, headed by the Rea, Finn & pals.

Aye, but it also made clear that nobody was interested in coming to their aid too, which makes it a more difficult task. I really don't know why Johnson decided to put that in there?

Looking at that pic I posted, it suggests that "Rey, Finn & pals" are off to some backwater kip to hire whomever they can, probably because every other planet has decided (remarkably) to just not bother doing anything about the First Order. That doesn't really convince TBH. Of course, it's just first impressions and considering just how wrong I was about 'The Last Jedi' before I actually saw it, first impressions can be useless.
    Hell, the fact the Episode VII script simply shrugged its shoulders and went "the empire v. rebels fight is on again. Whoops, we blew up the New Republic" doesn't exactly speak to a broader narrative dignity that the writers will try to hard to renew the rebellion.

Couldn't agree more. But they've been, rightly, roasted over that shtick.
    And if anything, Abrams has fewer spinning plates and mysteries to deal with than the number Johnson had thrown in his lap. It's not like most around here haven't made their feelings clear on Episode VIII, but I challenge anyone to write a satisfying 2nd part with as many trailing strands as Abrams left for his successor.

Sure, JJ left a lot of mystery boxes (TM) for Rian to deal with. But, unfortunately, Rian just threw them over his shoulder.

I think, however, that the sequels were just doomed from the beginning. Too afraid to go with its own story, too many useless characters (Finn is practically redundant now) and just lacking imagination in every department. As I said above, it'll limp on to its end and, probably, won't be looked upon with much fondness in the future, once the trilogy concludes and people can view it as a whole.

Personally, I think a lot of its defenders are holding onto the idea that once it's complete, it'll all come together. I can't say that I would be partial to that opinion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    If we are to believe this ends with IX and doesn't splinter out to a X, then one of the only ways I can imagine this film salvaging what's been set up by TLJ in the space of one film is if it's about the confrontation with Rey & Kylo, and whether there is redemption there or not for him as a Skywalker. Hopefully it's not all about redemption as they need something new with that part of the story.

They can't have a resurgence of rebels out of nowhere in the span of one film that defeats the First Order, so perhaps a defeat of Kylo will be the wrap of the story. And while the film may end there, there is still a war ongoing that can lead to a new batch of films about what will happen from there.

If JJ can finish this trilogy well then it will put paid to all the grief he gets for setting stories up and then abandoning them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the major, consistent focuses of TLJ was to drag the Resistance fighters down to their lowest ebb, but to also leave them in a place of hope that they can fight back and inspire others. The last images of the film show this in no uncertain terms, and it’s something repeatedly referenced in the dialogue as well. Of the narrative and practical challenges facing Abrams, I’d suggest it’s among the easiest to deal with... it naturally and logically flows from the end of the last film. If it seems the heroes are facing overwhelming odds... well, that’s not exactly new territory for either SW or basic storytelling in general :)
    Personally, I think a lot of its defenders are holding onto the idea that once it's complete, it'll all come together. I can't say that I would be partial to that opinion myself.

As an adamant defender of TLJ, my view is that it all *has* come together in ways that I found immensely rewarding and satisfying, and in ways TFA did not lead me to expect. My relatively muted expectations for IX would instead be based on Abrams not having displayed the capacity in the past to follow-up the sort of rich, thoughtful storytelling Johnson introduced. I’m sure Abrams can still offer up a satisfying piece of entertainment - certainly more likely to do so than Trevverow was - and I look forward to seeing what he has to offer. But to me TLJ was the sort of (mostly) complete storytelling (at least in most of the important ways) one doesn’t expect from a middle chapter... and that’s a hard act to follow (although I wouldn’t have it any other way).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't see any major challenge for JJ in this film. It's pretty straight-forward what he has to do. Johnson did all the hard work, dealing with and taking the flak for the useless mystery boxes that JJ introduced and never intended to open, and wrapped up the character that JJ didn't know how to write and mostly left out of TFA. Stuff like "but all the Resistance are dead" is extremely minor to the story problems that TFA (or even TESB) created for their sequels. Johnson may not have left fans anything to chew on for 2 years, but he set up the third film nicely, mainly by staying out of its bloody way. Giving it the freedom to jump forward in time as much as it wants in order to tell the story it wants to tell and without having to deal with mystery boxes that nobody has an answer to. So if JJ screws this film up, it's all on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

That's a remarkable shifting of the blame. Remarkable.

JJ Abrams wrote into the Episode VII script a sh*t tonne of mystery boxes and trailing plot strings; Knights of Ren, Rey's lineage, Luke's lightsabre, on and on. No writer could have been reasonably expected to take all those winks & nods and spin gold. I know Rian Johnson is now some kind of cinematic antichrist, but he was given a huge amount of question marks to deal with. We may not have liked the answers he came up with - but they are still answers to a needless number of mysteries.

And this is scarcely the first time JJ Abrams could be accused of this behaviour in his storytelling, so it's not shifting anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If JJ had been hired as one of the writers of the entire trilogy from the offset, I wonder how different TFA would have been. I wonder if it would have contained as many mysteries.

• Advertisement

If JJ had been hired as one of the writers of the entire trilogy from the offset, I wonder how different TFA would have been. I wonder if it would have contained as many mysteries.

It's a debatable point, but looking at the precedent of Abrams' TV work, there's no evidence the man knows / cares about sticking the landing. Lost and Fringe just made stuff up as it went along, and while the former rambled into its own mythology, the latter just about scrapped past the multitude of spinning plates (and fans like myself would point to stuff like "The Pattern" for examples of Forgotten Mystery Boxes). It's a long time since I saw Alias, but IIRC it too suffered the same of a bunch of mysteries with limp payoffs. His film work is peppered with the same tropes of Boxes left unloved (see 'the Rabbits Footer' of MI:3)

To be fair, he writes killer hooks and understands the exciting attraction they can present - and in the case of MI:3 the Mystery Box wasn't that important - but he just doesn't seem to have the capacity to follow through.

What I do like about his writing though is that more often than not he trades on the power of his characters' emotions and charisma. He writers impactful, emotional creatures without (too often) diving headlong into schlock or excessive melodrama.

Advertisement