Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Famous45 wrote: »
    Airport vicinty. That's a big enough radius don't you think.

... I have never bullsh*tted in any post on this forum so I'm hardly going to begin now.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Any one know what the exchange rate is at the min??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

danois wrote: »
    Any one know what the exchange rate is at the min??

www.xe.com

Think it's about 90 cent to the pound.

Just spent 23 euros in dunnes food hall in stephens green for half a bag of shopping!! wtf???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

hammer1 wrote: »
    www.xe.com

Think it's about 90 cent to the pound.

Just spent 23 euros in dunnes food hall in stephens green for half a bag of shopping!! wtf???

was it a big bag

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Airport vicinty. I have a route that I use for the past 2 years as I previously said that bypasses the M50 route in 20 minutes.
    Your secret is safe with us. I'd like to see the flak you'd get in the Motors forum with your 20 minutes claim, especially as you are too coy to state your route, despite being asked a number of times.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Just remember, if you buy things up North that you would not have bought down here, then you've bought them because they are a 'bargain' - not because you wanted or needed the items. Be careful not to get sucked in by the hysteria of going across the border for 'bargains' as you just may end up spending much more than you had intended in order to get the satisfaction of grabbing 'bargains'.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

You also have to factor in the cost of travelling to the North!

overmantle wrote: »

yea but it's a nice day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Exactly, but when your going up you are usually not heading up to buy a 6 pack of cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just remember, if you buy things up North that you would not have bought down here, then you've bought them because they are a 'bargain' - not because you wanted or needed the items. Be careful not to get sucked in by the hysteria of going across the border for 'bargains' as you just may end up spending much more than you had intended in order to get the satisfaction of grabbing 'bargains'.
    I only go to the north to buy what I need. Nothing else.
    Indeed, I still make significant savings.
    signman12 wrote: »
    yea but it's a nice day out
    Indeed, it is. I always enjoy the Fermanagh countryside views you get from the A509.
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Exactly, but when your going up you are usually not heading up to buy a 6 pack of cans.
    Nope. That would be foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

esel wrote: »
    Your secret is safe with us. I'd like to see the flak you'd get in the Motors forum with your 20 minutes claim, especially as you are too coy to state your route, despite being asked a number of times.

esel- cant you just LEAVE it,,,,this is not an arguments thead......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Asda car park in Enniskillen on a Sunday at 12:30pm just before opening at 1pm, can you spot the Yellow reg? ;):D
    http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x283/gurra2011/to_be_filled/?action=view&current=22022009019.flv
    Yes, i saved the petrol cost of 20quid on basics easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

muincav wrote: »
    esel- cant you just LEAVE it,,,,this is not an arguments thead......:mad:
    Listen mate, I'm not arguing, so chill out. The OP said he won't be responding, so that was my last post on the matter.

Not your ornery onager

I'm heading up the north this week, can anyone tell me if the ards shopping centre is worth the drive (big asda etc...)
    going up on the secret m50 route via newry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

I'm heading up the north this week, can anyone tell me if the ards shopping centre is worth the drive (big asda etc...)
    going up on the secret m50 route via newry
    Ards shopping centre is really good, huge asda, tesco there too, primark, easons etc. all the main shops. one of the best shopping centres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

was it a big bag

It was, thanks for asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Driving up the M1 from drogheda, what is the best route into Newry for the shopping centres?
    I want to bypass the main roundabout where the M1 goes into 1 lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Driving up the M1 from drogheda, what is the best route into Newry for the shopping centres?
    Do you mean the A1? The southern M1 finishes near Dundalk. Which shopping centres do you mean, though. The ones in the city centre?

milly4ever wrote: »
    Ards shopping centre is really good, huge asda, tesco there too, primark, easons etc. all the main shops. one of the best shopping centres!

It is good, but I'd have thought Newtownards was a bit out of the way for most ROI shoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I drive up from Drogheda, although in recent weeks I've gone onwards to Sprucefield in Lisburn which is a further 30 mins away and a straight road basically the entire way. Was in Sprucefield today and again the difference between Sainsburys there compared to Newry is frightening.

Anyhow, to get into Newry, The A1 combines with the M1 just passed Dundalk, it's just one road the entire way, you'll come to 1 lane on the A1 approaching Newry and onto a roundabout the 3rd exit brings you down into Newry.

If you take exit 2 it will take you to Belfast direction and 10 mins outside Newry is a place named The Outlet(bridgewater park), many stores located there for clothes etc. and on the same road 20 mins further is Sprucefield.

When you come off exit 3 into Newry you'll do down a hill and eventually meet several traffic lights, on the right coming down the hill you will see the Quays shopping centre this is where Sainsburys is located - when you get to the bottom on the hill you will most likely see Debenhams 1st on the right. On the left is the Buttercrane Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Just remember, if you buy things up North that you would not have bought down here, then you've bought them because they are a 'bargain' - not because you wanted or needed the items.

One other advantage of shopping of Sainsburys, is the breadth and depth of product range. In other words, they stock a better selection of everyday items, many of which are not available in Ireland. Specifically, pastas, canned goods and also small items that are great for treats for school lunchboxes.

Years ago, when travelling home from our holidays in Donegal, we used to look forward to spending time and pocket money at the sweet counter in Woolworths in Derry. Loads of stuff that you could never get in Dublin, like Munchies, Mintolas and Caramac bars. Then you had a 4 hour car journey trying to resist the temptation to tuck in and scoff the lot before you even left the North.

Richard wrote: »
    Do you mean the A1? The southern M1 finishes near Dundalk. Which shopping centres do you mean, though. The ones in the city centre?

Shopping centres Buttercrane and quays. I want to bypass the roundabout though at the M1 Newry exit. Is there not another way into Newry instead of that junction.
    Also is there a Lidl and Aldi?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Shopping centres Buttercrane and quays. I want to bypass the roundabout though at the M1 Newry exit. Is there not another way into Newry instead of that junction.
    Also is there a Lidl and Aldi?
    Thanks

First of all, there is no M1 at Newry. The RoI one stops at the border, and the NI one is not near Newry.

If driving from ROI, your only other choice is to come via Omeath, but you're going a long way out of your way to avoid the roundabout. If there was another way into Newry, that would be choked with ROI cars too ;).

The LIDL and ALDI sites have store locator functions.

I want to bypass the roundabout though at the M1 Newry exit

Don't understand what you mean by this, you mean you don't want to travel the whole way on the A1 into Newry?

There is a Lidl, it's tucked away on the other side of the river but it's not overally difficult to get to.

By the way there is no alternative route, unless you want to double the length on your journey and cant imagine why you'd wanna do that.

Richard wrote: »
    It is good, but I'd have thought Newtownards was a bit out of the way for most ROI shoppers.

it is but it looks like the only big asda store near belfast :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

By the way there is no alternative route, unless you want to double the length on your journey and cant imagine why you'd wanna do that.

Well - you can pull off at the Jonesborough junction on the M1, drive through Meigh village, and then rather than drive down the forkhill road to the first roundabout, you could keep to the backroads and head to Camlough road and rejoin the Newry bypass there.

Probably not worth bothering unless it's early on a Saturday though. I've done the Meigh rat-run to avoid the tailback before the first roundabout and emerged at the roundabout with no tailback to be seen (or avoided in the first place).

it is but it looks like the only big asda store near belfast :confused:

Isn't there one in the Westwood centre which is in Belfast? Not sure where, mind you. Whilst we're on the subject of Newtownards, the M&S there is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

I was in Newry on Sat and got a few good perfumes

JLO =£11 in boots

Kylie and kate Moss £7.99 semi chem

Britney Spears and Collen £10

Great deals to be had at the min for mothers day ;);)

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Well - you can pull off at the Jonesborough junction on the M1, drive through Meigh village, and then rather than drive down the forkhill road to the first roundabout, you could keep to the backroads and head to Camlough road and rejoin the Newry bypass there.

Probably not worth bothering unless it's early on a Saturday though. I've done the Meigh rat-run to avoid the tailback before the first roundabout and emerged at the roundabout with no tailback to be seen (or avoided in the first place).

Thanks for the info. The last time I was in newry was last friday at around 12.30 pm and I was stuck at roundabout where 2 lanes of motorway turns into 1 at top of newry hill for about 40 minutes. I have tried the omeath way and it adds about 15 minutes to journey which isn't too bad.

Advertisement