Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

of course it is.
    This notion you must like everyone is the type of horsesh1t spewed by people who want to appear like they are liberal.,

Who says you must like everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Your still a bitch.They haven't come back to defend themselves. And yet here you are still posting about them.Bitchass.And I'll take what is coming to me.

Em, I replied to you not them

I think you need to put down the alcohol and figure
    out why you're angry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Who says you must like everyone?

It was the ignorant attitude of people like raconteuse or whatever she was called who deleted her account.

She would throw around ignorant accusations because an unpopular opinion in a unpopular opinion thread did not suit her agenda.

She had the audacity to make out all foreign women was subservient, accused me of being a woman hater based on my preference for foreign women.

I said I prefer foreign girls and was called a troll....a label that is spouted by people with no intelligent comeback

If I said I hated foreign girls I would be called a racist, you cant win when people like her had an agenda with everyone.....just look at the posts of her in this thread finding fault with everyone, before throwing a strop and deleting the account

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

MOD

FFS, with all the abuse she has got since she closed her account, I don't blame her.

Does it really need to be spelled out to be respectful of others. Unpopular opinions are just that, not everyone will agree. Opposition is to be expected. If you can't debate it in a civil manner. DON'T POST.

Cards have been issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

It was the ignorant attitude of people like raconteuse or whatever she was called who deleted her account.

She would throw around ignorant accusations because an unpopular opinion in a unpopular opinion thread did not suit her agenda.

She had the audacity to make out all foreign women was subservient, accused me of being a woman hater based on my preference for foreign women.

I said I prefer foreign girls and was called a troll....a label that is spouted by people with no intelligent comeback

If I said I hated foreign girls I would be called a racist, you cant win when people like her had an agenda with everyone.....just look at the posts of her in this thread finding fault with everyone, before throwing a strop and deleting the account

She debated fairly and intelligently; that's all I see. I did notice that you accused her of being xenophobic because she (as I did), concluded that you liked women to be subservient. I would also agree with her there; in that you not only criticised Irish women's bodies, but what you perceive as their mindsets, despite admitting to having only dated one.

There's a post of yours that refers to Irish women as "things", which as I'm sure you're aware is a trick used by some abusive men, known as dehumanising. You've blatantly objectified those women you simply don't find attractive, but that post seems to have been deleted.

Nobody has criticised your preference for non Irish women, but rather than simply declare that preference (fair play), you have generalised, demeaned, and assumed to know the thoughts of all Irish women. It paints you in a poor light.

What would your mother or sister think? Did you get this from your Dad? Worryingly, I don't think you are a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

bonny! wrote: »
    I like Jame Corden

Jesus,you have just gone too far:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

The Irish are not a very welcoming race. Sure we can be affable and charming but we rarely let anybody new into our social circle after our early twenties,

beerguts wrote: »
    The Irish are not a very welcoming race. Sure we can be affable and charming but we rarely let anybody new into our social circle after our early twenties,

That’s not my experience, I must say. I came here from the UK 20 years ago in my forties, and found it was easy to be accepted (as a “blow in” of course!) by both neighbours and colleagues, some of which have become lasting friends.

In contrast, I’d have hardly known my neighbours in England, a nod as you walked down the garden path would be the most you’d get for the first year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

That’s not my experience, I must say. I came here from the UK 20 years ago in my forties, and found it was easy to be accepted (as a “blow in” of course!) by both neighbours and colleagues, some of which have become lasting friends.

In contrast, I’d have hardly known my neighbours in England, a nod as you walked down the garden path would be the most you’d get for the first year or more.

That's nice to hear Robert. Its nice to hear someone coming to Ireland and liking it, Us Irish are always seeking validation:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

beerguts wrote: »

We're welcoming and very friendly, the thing it most Irish people don't have all that much time after their 20's for new friends, life gets in the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

or people who ask if you want butter and think butter and cheap manky spread is the same thing.

I do have to ask is it proper butter and not spread, to let them know there is a difference.

The deli workers who probably have no say in ordering must be riveted. Unless your problem is that they don't say 'spread' instead of 'butter'. In which case, what a big doily you are.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    MOD

FFS, with all the abuse she has got since she closed her account, I don't blame her.

Does it really need to be spelled out to be respectful of others. Unpopular opinions are just that, not everyone will agree. Opposition is to be expected. If you can't debate it in a civil manner. DON'T POST.

Cards have been issued.

hold up, she accused me of being a woman hater
    accused me of being a troll, made false accusations. and has followed me for week , all her accusations based on zero

She says all foreign women are subservient and leaves in a huff

but I get a card for highlighting it ?

That is some logic,

hold up, she accused me of being a woman hater
    accused me of being a troll, made false accusations. and has followed me for week , all her accusations based on zero

She says all foreign women are subservient and leaves in a huff

but I get a card for highlighting it ?

That is some logic,

Aside from a staggering lack of self-awareness, you're not infallable.

I doubt if this qualifies as an unpopular opinion though.

Aside from a staggering lack of self-awareness, you're not infallable.

I doubt if this qualifies as an unpopular opinion though.

yet you still posted it, no agenda there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Eastern Europeans are sh1t at social distancing.

There.

Let the battle commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Some Nurses are the most egotistical people i've ever come across. How many other jobs feel the need for everyone to tell them how great they are all the time?

cms88 wrote: »
    Some Nurses are the most egotistical people i've ever come across. How many other jobs feel the need for everyone to tell them how great they are all the time?

I beg to differ, you're being flippant. I've been in and out of hospital wards often in the past few years, and believe me when one is heavily relying on trained health professionals for assistance then the immediate feeling is one of gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How many are asking you to tell them how great they are . I have never in all my years met a nurse who needed any such thing .And I have met thousands b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Eastern Europeans are sh1t at social distancing.

There.

Let the battle commence!

They are not alone

It seems that OP does not have much time for it either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This will probably ruffle a few feathers.

If you're stuck inside because of Covid and you're not able for it, there's something wrong with you. People have become too dependent on everyone and everything else, that a few weeks stuck inside without physical contact from others (but still having verbal contact) is driving them up the wall. I think that is a sign of something, but it's is certainly not healthy to see so many people crying out for contact with others, even if it's family*.

I also think lots of people who say this, or mainly those who post it on social media, are attention whores who are missing out on the daily gossip and bitching about other peoples lives. I think it speaks volumes about how many people are interested in, and actively engage in, gossip, and this lack of physical contact is driving them up the wall, because there is no gossip. These will be the same people who would love nothing more than some scandal to happen, like divorces due to isolation. I hate those people.

Actually, I hate gossip in general. No need for it. Mind your own business.

(* There are always exceptions, i'm not lumping everyone in the same boat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

I’m going On third week now on my own and don’t crave for anyone yet, though at times I have been looking for a hacksaw or a file.��

This will probably ruffle a few feathers.

If you're stuck inside because of Covid and you're not able for it, there's something wrong with you. People have become too dependent on everyone and everything else, that a few weeks stuck inside without physical contact from others (but still having verbal contact) is driving them up the wall. I think that is a sign of something, but it's is certainly not healthy to see so many people crying out for contact with others, even if it's family*.

I also think lots of people who say this, or mainly those who post it on social media, are attention whores who are missing out on the daily gossip and bitching about other peoples lives. I think it speaks volumes about how many people are interested in, and actively engage in, gossip, and this lack of physical contact is driving them up the wall, because there is no gossip. These will be the same people who would love nothing more than some scandal to happen, like divorces due to isolation. I hate those people.

Actually, I hate gossip in general. No need for it. Mind your own business.

(* There are always exceptions, i'm not lumping everyone in the same boat)

There is a lot to be said for being comfortable with a select few in your life.

I dont have a facebook account, no interest in that, dont have a mobile phone, and outside using the home pc like now, I am finding it zero problem spending my time just with my wife only leaving the house to walk the dogs., and my only contact with others is a few phone calls.

I am aiming of for all of this to be sorted hopefully for August, and any person claiming that having to stay at home sitting on their arse is some sort of hardship , should be thankful they never experienced real true hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Literally no idea what you're talking about.

On top of a high-pressure job where literally, it can be life or death depending on certain actions taken or not taken, they see all manners of horrific injuries and illnesses befell people and the emotional baggage of that is heavy. Dealing with grieving/anxious families too. Also, the shifts and work nurses are put through in the first few years of their careers is gruelling.

They deserve every bit of praise they get and then some.

Also, I just think you're talking s**e about the nurses you've met being egotistical. To be successful in such a job you need to sacrifice, sacrifice and then some, quite the opposite of egotistical.

This is informed by any nurse I have ever dealt with ever in my life. Including my Mom who is a nurse. Infact I have never heard anyone anywhere have a bad word to say about nurses.

Because you know what, if you have ever been to a hospital or will need to go in the future the biggest sense of comfort is a nurse with a smile who cares.

Nurses are great. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

and any person claiming that having to stay at home sitting on their arse is some sort of hardship , should be thankful they never experienced real true hardship

I find people might say something like ''I'd like to go for meal, for coffee, shopping,etc They know the situation and understand why it's happening and are happy enough with it.
    However the cool thing now to do is for people to make a big deal out of the comment reply to them get over yourself, all you've to do is sit on the couch and your grandparents were at war, #juststayathome etc.(These comments are shared by people looking for praise and attention).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this whole 'virtue signalling' thing is bollocks ... post a picture of your face to stand up against suicide. tag 10 friends and dare them not to do the same, COPY AND PASTE, DO NOT SHARE, because facebook takes down these viral 'woke' chain messages ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

‘How many other jobs’ or - ‘how many other people’?

Nurses don’t appear to have asked for any sort of obsequious gestures. It was actually egotistical people who thought people working in caring professions needed the validation. I thought the whole thing was nauseating myself, and then the egotists went that one step too far, with the resulting backlash -

We've Actually Never Seen Anything Like The Reaction To Ireland's Call-Gate

chrissb8 wrote: »
    This is informed by any nurse I have ever dealt with ever in my life. Including my Mom who is a nurse. Infact I have never heard anyone anywhere have a bad word to say about nurses.

Nurses are great. End of.

Not that I agree with what the other poster said, but I’d suggest at the same time you’re just a tad biased, just a tad, mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

sly censorship of the thread here... posts deleted.

sly censorship of the thread here... posts deleted.

people coming on to a thread about unpopular opinions get upset with the unpopular opinions....go figure.

God forbid you highlight or state how you find certain aspects of Irish culture repulsive, or find foreign women better looking, or berate the drink culture of ireland and the parochial mentality get upset....in a thread for unpopular opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

people coming on to a thread about unpopular opinions get upset with the unpopular opinions....go figure.

God forbid you highlight or state how you find certain aspects of Irish culture repulsive, or find foreign women better looking, or berate the drink culture of ireland and the parochial mentality get upset....in a thread for unpopular opinions.

I don't think it's the opinions in themselves that gets people's back up, it's the manner in which they are put forward and argued when questioned.

Sometimes it is just the opinions, though.
    People think, "how can someone have that opinion and not realise that it makes them look like a really horrible human being?"

• Advertisement

I don't think it's the opinions in themselves that gets people's back up, it's the manner in which they are put forward and argued when questioned.

Sometimes it is just the opinions, though.
    People think, "how can someone have that opinion and not realise that it makes them look like a really horrible human being?"

But does it ?
    For example, I think the vast amount of fat people are fat due to their own lifestyle, laziness, and dependency on crap food etc.
    Yes there are exceptions due to medical reasons, steroids etc.
    It is also a fact they are a burden on the health system

I believe a lot of people think this, but seemingly expressing this is frowned upon, and attacking the poster wont change this.

If I say I prefer foreign girls to Irish girls, which is not only my preference but my right, again parochial defensive Irish people will jump on board.
    These opinions dont make the poster a horrible person, but people will label anyone who dont agree with them as that to suit their agenda.

Advertisement