Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

seligehgit wrote: »
    How to fix a drug scandal is a really good watch.

Watched it all in 1 night. I know they didn't work in close proximity but in both cases how did their colleagues not raise red flags years previously, mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

gave up after 2 episodes. didn't feel it was that interesting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Watched it all yesterday, found it pretty boring to be honest with a lot of repitition. Thought it could have been condensed into an hour or an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

TBH I feel the same way about most of Netflix’s true crime viral hits - they can hit a particular trashy dopamine receptor, but always feel they’re pretty exploitative and tabloid-y. Although to be fair that’s the case for most true crime stories regardless of format. I’ve seen one episode of Tiger King and it definitely fits into that category.

That's half of the appeal though, it's a window into a completely different lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The worst of Netlifx's trashy true crime stuff might well be Evil Genius, 3 hours of law enforcement telling us that these people are the smartest criminals to have ever lived because they'd rather make them out to be geniuses than admit it was an extremely obvious solve that they botched massively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I swore off Netflix "documentaries" after I Google'd the true story of Making A Murderer and what they left out

That said I finally caved last night to watch Tiger King and it's absolutely bananas escapism

It's essential when watching a Netflix show like this though to remember that about 20% - at best - of their "documentaries" are true and factual

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Devil Next Door is about the best of them I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ShineOn7 wrote: »

It's essential when watching a Netflix show like this though to remember that about 20% - at best - of their "documentaries" are true and factual

I haven't watched it, nor do I have any intention of watching it, but I did see this thread doing the rounds on Twitter last night, may be of interest to some of you
    https://twitter.com/robertmoor_/status/1241460363658285056?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

TBH I feel the same way about most of Netflix’s true crime viral hits - they can hit a particular trashy dopamine receptor, but always feel they’re pretty exploitative and tabloid-y. Although to be fair that’s the case for most true crime stories regardless of format. I’ve seen one episode of Tiger King and it definitely fits into that category.

I agree, there certainly seems to be a bit of a formula there. What the guy on Dave Fanning was saying (it was Mark O'Hallaran btw) was that at least Making a Murderer had some compassion for the people involved in the story but this is just 100% look at these crazies without any sympathy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I really wish Netflix would learn from our viewing. There's stuff I've started and abandoned (Unorthodox this weekend for example) and stuff I'd never want to watch (like Tiger King). I'd love a way to file them away and not have them keep popping up.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Caranica wrote: »
    I really wish Netflix would learn from our viewing. There's stuff I've started and abandoned (Unorthodox this weekend for example) and stuff I'd never want to watch (like Tiger King). I'd love a way to file them away and not have them keep popping up.

Rate them a thumbs down and you might stop seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

There was some show, think it was Family Reunion (?), watched five minutes of the first episode and realised that it was not for me (canned laughter, not actually funny, etc) - yet over a month later it's still urging me to "continue watching" it.

I know it's the very definition of a first world problem but surely their algorithm is smart enough to detect that I think the programme is a pile of wånk and it can be removed from the list?

Sidenote: I would like the option to remove things from either the continue watching or my list sections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sidenote: I would like the option to remove things from either the continue watching or my list sections
    zGOYhD4.png
    Click "My List" to remove an item from your list.

I think there's a way to remove from the continue watching list too, but I'd have to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Just go into your viewing history in the account settings via a web browser and remove the entry for any episodes you watched/started watching. That will remove it from your 'Continue watching' list.

May take a few hours for the removal to take affect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

They should also have a "Mark as Watched" feature for episodes and seasons. I've watched an episode elsewhere, or maybe an entire season before it came to Netflix, and I'd like to mark it off and not see it constantly pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

My "continue watching" list is almost entirely full of movies I turned off during the credits, or ones I watched the entirety of and then went back to see something in an earlier scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Have been watching Kingdom. One of the better zombie shows I've watched

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not sure how long it stays but it does leave the "Continue Watching" eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

BBC day

Life on Mars seasons 1&2
    DCI Sam Tyler is thrust from 2006 to 1973 after an accident. As he continues to work cases, Sam struggles with the notion of traveling through time.

Ashes to Ashes (3 seasons )
    DCI Gene Hunt rolls up his sleeves and embraces the 1980s in this sequel to the critically acclaimed drama Life On Mars.

McMafia season 1
    Investment fund manager Alex Godman distances himself from his family's Russian mob ties until a murder entangles him in a web of international crime.

Brexit: The Uncivil War
    As he steers the campaign for England to leave the European Union, a strategist uncovers data and voter sentiment to design a subversive plan

Clangers
    Teamwork and compassion guide the gentle adventures of a family of slide-whistling, mice-like aliens in this revival of a classic British series.

David Beckham: For the Love of the Game
    David Beckham: Into the Unknown

Dawn French: 30 Million Minutes
    Celebrated performer Dawn French shares compelling personal stories in a one-woman stage show marked by sharp comedy and searing honesty.

Dinnerladies (2 seasons)
    At a Manchester catering company, staff members serve up laughs as they juggle personal and professional predicaments in this light sitcom.

Duran Duran: There's Something You Should Know
    From first gigs and rough demos to seven albums and smooth ensembles, the iconic band reflects on their wild, four-decade-long journey in this rock doc.

John Robins: The Darkness of Robins
    Brutal honesty about himself reveals a deep affection for Queen and football but a distaste for lentils and IKEA in the angsty comedy of John Robins.

The Last Post season 1
    In the 1960s, the Royal Military Police of Aden battles an armed Arab uprising against British rule while their wives cope with loneliness and fear.

Pure season 1
    Long worried about her constant sexual thoughts, a young woman moves to London, where her search for a new life is tested like never before.

The Queen Mother
    From experiencing tragic loss to holding court at Buckingham Palace, a resilient Queen Elizabeth II forged her own path, as explored in this docuseries.

Queen Victoria and Her Nine Children
    After Prince Albert's death, a hardened queen struggles to mourn and raise nine children alone while upholding her royal duties in public.

Revolutions: The Ideas That Changed the World
    Host Jim Al-Khalili traces humanity's journey to the modern world by exploring six inventions through the lenses of science, technology and innovation

SS-GB season 1
    In an alternate-timeline 1941, the Nazis have won the Battle of Britain, forcing Detective Douglas Archer to work under the SS in occupied London.

Terrace House: Tokyo 2019-2020
    Six strangers share a fabulous house in Tokyo, looking for love while living under the same roof. With no script, what happens next is all up to them

Tiffany Haddish: She Ready! From the Hood To Hollywood!
    Comedic breakout Tiffany Haddish delivers a riotous stand-up ripe with the unpretentious and filthy tales of her meteoric rise to stardom

The vicar of dibley season 1

The Durrells season 3
    In 1935, a widow facing dwindling funds and limited prospects uproots her four children, ages 11-21, to start a new life on the Greek isle of Corfu.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭boccy23

Are the first two any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

boccy23 wrote: »
    Are the first two any good?
    Life On Mars is fantastic.. Ashes To Ashes is great, but not quite as good as LoM.

Both are definitely worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭boccy23

Basq wrote: »
    Life On Mars is fantastic.. Ashes To Ashes is good, but not quite as good.

Both are definitely worth a watch!

Cheers, will check them out so. Have done most of the great British crime dramas on Netflix so was looking for something new.

Watched the first episode of Unorthodox last night. Not blown away so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I, Tonya

Was really looking forward to this, but I switched it off half way through. Felt the tone was all over the place, as if it was veering from satire to mockumentary to drama. First half hour was basically like a music montage of random 80s or 70s songs with a tiny bit of dialogue.

Although when the music ceased the next half hour wasn't any better. The acting went from overacting to just plain bad. Cannot understand the praise this received.

Switched to the battered bastards of baseball and even though I haven't finished it, much more enjoyable!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I, Tonya

Was really looking forward to this, but I switched it off half way through. Felt the tone was all over the place, as if it was veering from satire to mockumentary to drama. First half hour was basically like a music montage of random 80s or 70s songs with a tiny bit of dialogue.

Although when the music ceased the next half hour wasn't any better. The acting went from overacting to just plain bad. Cannot understand the praise this received.

Switched to the battered bastards of baseball and even though I haven't finished it, much more enjoyable!!

I loved I, Tonya. I thought the tone was perfect for the story it tells. The whole incident is a mess of lies and half truths. Nobody knows the truth of how it all happened, only bits and pieces, and the things they do know for sure are bizarre and ridiculous. I thought the film conveyed that perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Unorthodox- really interesting, a pity there's only 4 episodes, but with a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Unorthodox- really interesting, a pity there's only 4 episodes, but with a watch.

I lasted half an episode. Did spot a "making unorthodox" when I was scrolling earlier, in case you didn't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No ratings on IMDB or RT, couldn't even find some randomers opinion;)

I'll give it a go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Charlie19 wrote: »
    No ratings on IMDB or RT, couldn't even find some randomers opinion;)

I'll give it a go tonight.

Not released until April 24th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not released until April 24th

Well that would explain things.

Advertisement