Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indoor go karting hits Limerick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Raiser wrote: »
    Are you a Co-Owner or something CCSL?

- If its none of my business just tell tell me so ;)

Not connected with them just really glad to have something to do in Limerick with the kids when the weather is bad ( It is Ireland after all ) and have to say I was impressed with the place. And also they had no problem letting me wander around taking photos I was dealing with a guy called Declan who was really helpful. Great to see a place being positive and opening in Limerick as opposed to the unfortunately lengthening Business closed in Limerick Thread!
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Was there for a 15 minute session today, and the place is unreal, the top track is ready and it's savage, the lower track will be ready in about 10-12 days, if anyone would like information on the prices or anything let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Was there for a 15 minute session today, and the place is unreal, the top track is ready and it's savage, the lower track will be ready in about 10-12 days, if anyone would like information on the prices or anything let me know!

Think I'll go up for a look this evening. Was it busy looking up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

tommiejoie wrote: »

i was up there this evening around 7ish. they said you have to ring ahead because they are very busy the evenings. most likely quieter early in the day but worth ringing ahead anyway. looks class. still some work to be done in the facilities but the upstairs track looks really awesome(yea awesome. thats how much i like it:D using silly words)

Sorry for the late reply, i went in there at half three, and they said it was free up until 6, and after that then it was packed out for the evening... he said the best thing to do is ring and check for yourself...

ill give some basic prices that i can remember, aswell as the phone number!

061-603603

10 mins - 15 euro's
    15 mins - 20 euro's
    20 mins - 25 euros
    and i think 30 was 30 euro but don't quote me on that!!

They dont have the grand prix or lights on the track set up, thats all coming in the next week or so, along with telemetry and the likes, really cool place and it's alot more skill involved than kilkornan i thought.

• Advertisement

Paulegend wrote: »
    i was up there this evening around 7ish. they said you have to ring ahead because they are very busy the evenings. most likely quieter early in the day but worth ringing ahead anyway. looks class. still some work to be done in the facilities but the upstairs track looks really awesome(yea awesome. thats how much i like it:D using silly words)

It genuinely is, there is a point where you're coming down a slope and carrying so much speed into the next turn its crazy... such a cool track to race on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Was out there yesterday. Was fun but: track is not suitable for more than 5 karts. Not much opportunity to overtake. No straight sections to speak of. WIll be a nice set up when complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thats all coming in the next week or so, along with telemetry and the likes.

Weird!!! - So the Management will actually be able to tell what you are thinking as you drive around?

Weird!!! - So the Management will actually be able to tell what you are thinking as you drive around?

Please tell me you're not serious.

The top track isn't too bad for overtaking if you push it as far as you can, there's plenty of turns to snake past people.

the bottom track will supposedly be wider than the top one, and have alot more opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You do know what telemetry is ya?

Funnily enough,I think he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

had a gawk in the window last night just to see the track, looks brilliant but theres no long straights which Id imagine would be annoying, you need somewhere to get the momentum up.

There's a downward slope which allows you to build up a nice bit of momentum... the top track is decent but the man inside their said that the bottom track would be a bit better.. and just to make sure you ring before you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Was up there today and thought it was brilliant. Theres a great viewing/waiting area with a pool table and what I assume will be a tea/coffee section. The whole place looks real professional and I cant wait to see it finished.
    As for the track I thought it was great fun. The karts are nice and powerful, and handle well without being too easy. Theres some nice rubber laid down already, travelling off the racing line will cause skidding. I reckon theres at least 3 good overtaking spots, the pit straight, the second bend and coming out of the bend before the epic downhill section, which as previously stated gives you lots of speed up into the final bend.
    Cant wait to see the 2nd track.

Was up there today and thought it was brilliant. Theres a great viewing/waiting area with a pool table and what I assume will be a tea/coffee section. The whole place looks real professional and I cant wait to see it finished.
    As for the track I thought it was great fun. The karts are nice and powerful, and handle well without being too easy. Theres some nice rubber laid down already, travelling off the racing line will cause skidding. I reckon theres at least 3 good overtaking spots, the pit straight, the second bend and coming out of the bend before the epic downhill section, which as previously stated gives you lots of speed up into the final bend.
    Cant wait to see the 2nd track.

The pool table wasn't there the other day... sweet!!

the two dudes that were running it were pure sound about everything aswell which made me like it more, told us help ourselves to some drinks in the fridge and just bring down the bottles after to pay for em.. sound lads behind there!!

can't wait till the second track is ready, looks mental!

Spot on about the 3 good overtakin spots too, maybe down the slope is another i'd add but you need to push for it on the inside and be ballsy!!!

DOC09UNAM wrote:
    They dont have the grand prix or lights on the track set up, thats all coming in the next week or so, along with telemetry and the likes, really cool place and it's alot more skill involved than kilkornan i thought.

The top track isn't too bad for overtaking if you push it as far as you can, there's plenty of turns to snake past people.

the bottom track will supposedly be wider than the top one, and have alot more opportunities.
    You do know what telemetry is ya?

Funnily enough,I think he is.

I rang them last night to book a slot for Saturday week at 3pm - They were very helpful and answered a load of questions.

- Then he says for how many People? & I said nothing but I was thinking really, really hard down the phoneline - Me and Mikey an Macca, an Sticks an Snots an Paulie Jr. and Jamie......

He just kept saying "Hello? HELLO? Can you hear me?"

I was like - "You tell me ya Telemetric Fcuk!"

All marketing Horseshít I'd say :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

I rang them last night to book a slot for Saturday week at 3pm - They were very helpful and answered a load of questions.

- Then he says for how many People? & I said nothing but I was thinking really, really hard down the phoneline - Me and Mikey an Macca, an Sticks an Snots an Paulie Jr. and Jamie......

He just kept saying "Hello? HELLO? Can you hear me?"

I was like - "You tell me ya Telemetric Fcuk!"

All marketing Horseshít I'd say :mad:

POst of the day i lol'd very loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Anyone tried the new go karting complex at the delta retail park? Is it better than kilcornan?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone tried the new go karting complex at the delta retail park? Is it better than kilcornan?

Threads merged.

I've been into Delta a couple of times now, tried both tracks. It's pretty good in there. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into Delta, and its not fully finished yet. The group that run it have plenty of experience through sister facilities in Newry and Dublin I believe. The tracks are probably the best you could do for an indoor track. They are mostly suspended which allows a lot of incline and camber which is pretty novel for indoor. The karts seem to have a fair bit of power which is enjoyable.

The one negative I have, and it's a pretty big one to be honest, is the tracks are very tight and unless someone runs wide and slow it's almost impossible to get space to overtake (without bumping, which is frowned upon :rolleyes:). So I wouldnt be too mad about going in there with a big group.

As for Kilcornan, I havn't been out there in years. The place has fallen out of favour with the karting community from what I gather, no race meeting take place there anymore. I was talking to a couple of lads who used work there and apparently the karts arent really up to great standard anymore. But its a wide open circuit, though the layout isn't very interesting. Maybe someone else here has another, and more recent, opinion on the place.

I've been into Delta a couple of times now, tried both tracks. It's pretty good in there. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into Delta, and its not fully finished yet. The group that run it have plenty of experience through sister facilities in Newry and Dublin I believe. The tracks are probably the best you could do for an indoor track. They are mostly suspended which allows a lot of incline and camber which is pretty novel for indoor. The karts seem to have a fair bit of power which is enjoyable.

The one negative I have, and it's a pretty big one to be honest, is the tracks are very tight and unless someone runs wide and slow it's almost impossible to get space to overtake (without bumping, which is frowned upon :rolleyes:). So I wouldnt be too mad about going in there with a big group.

As for Kilcornan, I havn't been out there in years. The place has fallen out of favour with the karting community from what I gather, no race meeting take place there anymore. I was talking to a couple of lads who used work there and apparently the karts arent really up to great standard anymore. But its a wide open circuit, though the layout isn't very interesting. Maybe someone else here has another, and more recent, opinion on the place.

I think 6 karts per track is the maximum, I tried the top one before and didn't think it was too bad, great fun though.

Thing is with Kilcornan, are the karts are uneven, even though there's plenty of space to overtake, the fact that the karts are completely uneven means that you can get overtaken straight line when both of you are pushing the limit of the kart, very annoying when it happens.

• Advertisement

I think 6 karts per track is the maximum, I tried the top one before and didn't think it was too bad, great fun though.

Thing is with Kilcornan, are the karts are uneven, even though there's plenty of space to overtake, the fact that the karts are completely uneven means that you can get overtaken straight line when both of you are pushing the limit of the kart, very annoying when it happens.

Yea I've heard of plenty stories where a group went out and whoever had a particular kart for a heat ran rings around the rest. To go karting for 30mins isn't exactly cheap so it's very irritating if the equipment isn't fair for everyone, as fair as they can make it at least. By no means am I saying tuning karts to run equal is easy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I can't WAIT to have a go at this, would be a laugh for a boardies meet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Were having a work day out and I suggested this place
    but was told they only allowed 4-5 people on the track at any one time, so with close to 50 people it would take all day
    for people to try it while others looked on in boredom. So it was dropped from the list of things to choose from.

I dont drive myself, Have never had any interest or need to,
    For some bizzare reason I have zero urge to try and learn and am a terrible terrible back seat driver. I was hopeing if
    I tried something like Karting and found it fun it might kick start my brain into finally getting me along the lines of thinking of taking a few lessons and start driving.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I agree with all of this. I tried both tracks at the weekend and the upper one was ok, if a little tight with few opportunities to overtake. The lower track was not very enjoyable at all. A few of the corners have absolutely no grip which results in severe, almost dangerous understeer. I've never experience understeer in a go-kart before! This track is also very tight with no overtaking opportunities.

The karts themselves are very good. If kilcornan replaced it's aging fleet with karts like this it would be great. As it is I don't think I'll be going back to Delta anytime soon and despite the inferior karts, I think Kilcornan will remain the track on which I'll satisfy any karting urges...

The Dagda wrote: »
    I agree with all of this. I tried both tracks at the weekend and the upper one was ok, if a little tight with few opportunities to overtake. The lower track was not very enjoyable at all. A few of the corners have absolutely no grip which results in severe, almost dangerous understeer. I've never experience understeer in a go-kart before! This track is also very tight with no overtaking opportunities.

The karts themselves are very good. If kilcornan replaced it's aging fleet with karts like this it would be great. As it is I don't think I'll be going back to Delta anytime soon and despite the inferior karts, I think Kilcornan will remain the track on which I'll satisfy any karting urges...
    The dagda, you seem very dissapointed with it

This is where you could end the Kilcornan discussion.

Whats the point in turning up when you get shown to a Kart that will either be painfully slow, very, very average or else has a slight chance of being reasonable?

- They have Karts you feel like getting out and pushing and if you ask for a substitute one you miss half the race as they fob you off and moan....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Tried Delta and it's ok...There is no space to overtake unless you are willing to shunt someone out of the way. That or you have to race people who once you take the inside, let you pass so there isn't a collision.

Kilcornan need to sort out their unequal Kart issues...Nice track. Like to go when it rains because that levels the playing field a bit!

🤪

Went in there Thursday and was on the bottom track. Extremely difficult to overtake on the bottom track. Does anyone know any turns that could have been used for overtaking? I don't think there is any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

had a look today, havent driven the karts yet, they looked nice and fast though. One thing that looked annoying was the little space on the track. It looked like there were no nice overtaking opportunities. The laps seemed a little short as well, about 20-25secs.
    The one really off putting thing was the fact that everyone had to stop and wait if someone spun out or got stuck. I was out in abbeyfeale and there was plenty of room for others to overtake someone that was stuck. Also in abbeyfeale you were able to get up and sort out your own kart, whereas here you had to wait for someone to push you. Im sure its more professional or something in Delta but just looked annoying. Ill drive them next time and I might completely change my mind.

• Advertisement

Was back in Delta again the other night having not been there a while, and to be honest I was disappointed.

When they opened first you'd forgive them for not having the place really in order, but by now having been up and running for 6 months the facilities just looked a little bare and unfinished.

I wasn't expecting much of the track, the previous discussions on this thread tell you all you need to know. There is NO grip on the track whatsoever. On several occasions I went into a corner, tapped the brakes, turned the wheel and...nothing. The kart refused to slow and refused to turn, to the detriment of the kart glancing the walls a number of times. On some occasions the only way to corner was to slow to a crawling pace, which is very frustrating. This did introduce more overtaking, because the line the karts will follow is so unpredictable! Whether or not the lack of grip is intentional is debatable. Personally I'd rather be on a track that is some way grippy with little overtaking than the other way around. But thats just me.

Finally, the karts. The first few times I visited delta I was very impressed by the power of the karts but I think they must have seriously turned down the power since then. There's a clear lack of grunt from the karts and it makes for an unsatisfactory experience.

Don't get me wrong, I think the facility they have is excellent, really excellent for indoor karting but Delta aren't making the most of their potential right now. It's also sad to say that the place was empty when we went there on a midweek evening. Compare that to the National Kart Centre outside Corbally which was so busy the same evening that we couldn't even get a time to have a go on track. Looks like there's some serious competition in the indoor karting business in Limerick, and I'm not sure this City is big enough for both of them.

Advertisement