Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-06-2019, 13:05   #1
gibgodsman

Neighbor Issues, or is it me?

So I live in a 1 bed apartment with the missus, been here since 2013. It was cheap and exactly what I needed when I moved in on my own while still in College.

First 2 Years I had a Neighbor above me who was CONSTANTLY and I mean nearly every day, having Parties until literally the next day, missing days of college as a result. I did end up having a confrontation with the occupant and it did turn physical as I just lost my head with it. They stopped after that thankfully, and 2 months later they were evicted due to drug charges.

1 Year after that, a Night Club opened across the river from my Apartment, they play stupidly loud music Fri-Sun until 3am and even have DJ's out the back in the smoking area.... so there is no way to get away from the noise. I sent complaints into the council and never got any responses. Gave up on this one and just learned to live with it.

2 Years ago new neighbors moved in below me, same issues as problem neighbor 1, late, loud music until all hours, literally not stopping for days on end. I didn't go down this time to speak to them as I would end up in Jail, missus was living with me at this point and she went down as I knew the people below were no threat and a calm woman would possibly get a better response than a fuming man. They were polite but never stopped, turning the music back up as soon as the door closed. Thankfully they left after only 1 year.

Now for nightmare Neighbor 3, Music all night, loud talking on balcony right beside my bedroom at 2-9am constantly, at least 10 people in the 2 bed apartment nearly every night. I reported them to the management company already and they did nothing, told them to shut up multiple times to no avail. Tried wearing Ear plugs but they are that loud and that close to my bedroom it doesn't work.

Is there anything I can actually do about this? I love my apartment, rent is low, location is perfect, and it suits me to the ground, but my god, id love to be able to sleep. I had to buy a Large Sofa Bed, for nights when its too loud and I have work in the morning, but I miss my bed.

Am I just a light sleeper? Is it my fault? What can I do like?
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 13:07   #2
BrownFinger

All you can do is live with it or move.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:14   #3
sugarman

Thats what you get with living in apartments. You hear everything.

Drove me nuts. I just got used to sleeping with earplugs in.
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:18   #4
bucketybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibgodsman View Post
location is perfect
It really isn't.
18-06-2019, 13:18   #5
robo

Are other neighbours affected by it? Could you get together & approach the occupants & ask them nicely to keep it down?

Or as a group can you inform the Management Company or landlords (who pay their management fees) about it and ask them to do something about it?

Have you thought of calling the Gardaí for the noise pollution?

The very last thing you should do is move out
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 13:18   #6
no.8

Only in poorly built apartment blocks.

Lived in a place for years with far superior sound proofing to most 2-storey dwellings. Only snag... It was abroad.

Ireland has bit of catching up to do on the whole bit I had to respond because it is only 1 factor (being an apartment)

Last edited by no.8; 18-06-2019 at 13:29.
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:20   #7
SteM

You mention low apartment rent twice in your post, is the price worth the cost?

You got somewhere cheap when you were a student, you're out of college now and you are living with your partner so maybe look for somewhere that isn't in the 'student' price bracket? Your mental health will thank you.
(4) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:23   #8
robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Thats what you get with living in apartments. You hear everything.

Drove me nuts. I just got used to sleeping with earplugs in.
Gotta disagree with this - or maybe I've been lucky for years. Had a few issues with noise of some neighbours but worked out after I asked them to keep it down after midnight on a week night - they used to chat outside on the balcony and my bedroom was right at the corner of their balcony.
But I know I was lucky with that one.
However, after living for about 20 years in apartments - life was always good mainly.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:24   #9
baldbear

Move. Life's too short..You have been having this crap on and off since 2013.
Advertisement
18-06-2019, 13:31   #10
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibgodsman View Post
So I live in a 1 bed apartment with the missus, been here since 2013. It was cheap and exactly what I needed when I moved in on my own while still in College.

First 2 Years I had a Neighbor above me who was CONSTANTLY and I mean nearly every day, having Parties until literally the next day, missing days of college as a result. I did end up having a confrontation with the occupant and it did turn physical as I just lost my head with it. They stopped after that thankfully, and 2 months later they were evicted due to drug charges.

1 Year after that, a Night Club opened across the river from my Apartment, they play stupidly loud music Fri-Sun until 3am and even have DJ's out the back in the smoking area.... so there is no way to get away from the noise. I sent complaints into the council and never got any responses. Gave up on this one and just learned to live with it.

2 Years ago new neighbors moved in below me, same issues as problem neighbor 1, late, loud music until all hours, literally not stopping for days on end. I didn't go down this time to speak to them as I would end up in Jail, missus was living with me at this point and she went down as I knew the people below were no threat and a calm woman would possibly get a better response than a fuming man. They were polite but never stopped, turning the music back up as soon as the door closed. Thankfully they left after only 1 year.

Now for nightmare Neighbor 3, Music all night, loud talking on balcony right beside my bedroom at 2-9am constantly, at least 10 people in the 2 bed apartment nearly every night. I reported them to the management company already and they did nothing, told them to shut up multiple times to no avail. Tried wearing Ear plugs but they are that loud and that close to my bedroom it doesn't work.

Is there anything I can actually do about this? I love my apartment, rent is low, location is perfect, and it suits me to the ground, but my god, id love to be able to sleep. I had to buy a Large Sofa Bed, for nights when its too loud and I have work in the morning, but I miss my bed.

Am I just a light sleeper? Is it my fault? What can I do like?
Take a third party RTB case against them
(2) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 13:36   #11
Clashmore

You can take a third party RTB case against them, particularly if they are renting. Document everything and send registered letters to the landlord. We had to do this and won the case and they were evicted. In your situation I would also be looking to move if possible. Would take the RTB case at the same time
18-06-2019, 13:37   #12
Graces7

Your choice;your life but as most here are saying? I had bad neighbours for years and after that made sure before i took a place that this would not happen.

The night club alone? You can take a case to the county court re the new noisy neighbours; there are excellent threads on this here. I have found that warning/advising was always enough

But no place is worth the damage to health
18-06-2019, 13:43   #13
Hoboo

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/deal...-noise-issues/

Everything is there, pdf's at bottom of particular use.
Thanks from:
18-06-2019, 14:09   #14
SusieBlue

It sounds like you are living in student accommodation, or at least, in an area where many students live. Would this be accurate?
(2) thanks from:
18-06-2019, 14:43   #15
gibgodsman

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, thats my fault, some misconceptions seem to be happening.

1) Its absolutely not student accommodation, there isn't a college for 30km.

2) The current rental market, would mean if i moved I would have to pay nearly 3x the amount I currently am, for the exact same apartment, in the same block.... mine is 575 a month, daft has had multiple 1 bed's from the same place going for 13-1500.

3) I already tried the Garda, they laughed at me and told me not to waste their time as its not their problem.

4) As for the location, it is perfect, its 5 minutes from work, 5 minutes from my Missus family and 5 minutes from a bus straight to Dublin when I wanna see mine.

5) My Neighbors have changed so much since I moved in, most keep to themselves and I very rarely have interactions with them, there was one lady below them who also complained with me when I rang the management company.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion