Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland has the highest proportion of under occupied dwellings in the EU.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I'd be curious about the age of the figures used in that survey. Ireland's economy and have housing demand plummeted for several years and then absolutely surged again. If you picked a year like 2011/12 you'd get a totally inaccurate image of the Irish accomodation situation, certainly in the more expensive cities anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd be curious about the age of the figures used in that survey. Ireland's economy and have housing demand plummeted for several years and then absolutely surged again. If you picked a year like 2011/12 you'd get a totally inaccurate image of the Irish accomodation situation, certainly in the more expensive cities anyway.

The Eurostat uses data from 2016, not too long ago population-wise.

Eurostat

Ireland, 70% of people are living in homes that are underoccupied, 3% are living in homes that are overcrowded.

And that doesn't even include vacant property, holiday homes, undeveloped sites, anything like that. It's properties where people live.

That statistic makes perfect sense, given our owner occupancy, and living in the same house for a heck of a long time.

Think of where you live... is it under occupied? Apparantly most of us would say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

My house of 132 square metres is not under occupied. If I want to have a naked room in it or turn a room into a walk in handbag closet or knock 3 rooms together and make a ginornmous bathroom - my business. I own it and all this crap about occupancy is insane.

If you own it - up to u to stay/go etc.
    If you're in welfare you should get basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,125 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you own it, as in truly own it and don’t have years of mortgage repayments to go *AND* you have an income stream that is entirely decoupled from the performance of the economy as a whole then by all means support the status quo.

However, if you depend on the economy functioning in order to support yourself long term then it is not in your interest for Dublin to grind to a halt. And it will.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the solution?

Force people who are deemed to under occupy their home to sell, or to base property tax on occupancy making it prohibitively expensive to be a single person in a 4 bed house?

Prohibit banks from giving mortgages to single people for anything above a 2 bed flat (which could be 300 square metres by the way, depends on room size.....)

I assume couples would be exempt initially as it's assumed they're having kids. If they don't produce the goods within say 10 years are they to be forced out either by law or financial penalties?

Old folk to be forced out of communities? To retirement homes?

I can't think of any way to do this other than implementing some vaguely Stallinist square metre per person quotas.

Meanwhile as per the radio this morning, a social welfare recipient family of 2 adults and 3 children receive benefits worth net 44k per year and are only 134e per year worse off than an average working couple. Bonkers. We're the only country where the rate of social welfare remains the same forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if we had some sort of scheme that enticed older people to ‘retire to the countryside’ in their years of full faculties it might work. Im not talking about shoving an 80 year old into a village where nobody lives, but encourage people in their mid 60s to move to country towns and enjoy their retirement. It would need a lot of services etc.. but could be done. There needs to be a lot done to encourage people in their 60s and early 70s to transfer (tax free) the house to children or sell up. When we have so much demand for housing around cities, encouraging older people in a huge economic way to downsize before things like dementia kick in would help massively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

seasidedub wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite. What's the solution?

Up to the introduction of the Widows Pension in 1967 and the abolition of domestic rates in 1977, there was a clear incentive for people to downsize. people were preety quick to move to a house with a lower rv or else rent out rooms for digs when the house was bigger than they required.

Ah yes- penalise the widows

Grand so.

Ah yes- penalise the widows

Grand so.

see this is the attitude we have to get over. Its not penalising widows, its encouraging people to not have 1 occupant of a 4 bedroom gaf for 40 years while those who need that space commute for 2 hours each way a day.

But - seriously, part of the problem is that downsizing is just not as easy as it seems. I looked at a 2 bed flat. Management fees of 3k a year. Once a house is fixed properly, barring some serious issue you don't have that much in expenses per year with a house on top of the bills. And, if some serious issue occurs in a block, I guarantee the "sinking fund" won't cover it. Also, come next recession people just dont pay those fees abd rubbish stops being collected etc.

• Advertisement

We don't have much that's attractive to downsize to.
    When I compare two of my elderly relatives. One lives in a townhouse in Stoneybatter in Dublin. The other lives way out and can no longer drive.

The relative in Stoneybatter has access to absolutely every facility: shops (butcher, baker, greengrocer, supermarkets, pharmacies), cafes, restaurants, multiple GPs, health centre, the Mater Hospital is a stone's throw away

She's almost 90 and living totally independently because all of that's on her doorstep. She also has a great social life.

The comparison is with someone in their 70s trapped at home depending on bring driven everywhere.

It should be attractive to move into cities, towns and villages for exactly that reason but we don't do it very often.

I saw similar in Spain with older folks living in cities absolutely thriving in their 80s and 90s. I think by not having that kind of accommodation we probably cost ourselves a fortune and also cause older people to become dependents when they don't need to be.

You shouldn't have to be incentivesed or forced. It should just be made into a much more attractive option.

It's really part of just making urban communities and high quality townhouses and apartments a viable option and we really don't do that very well.

"while those who need that space commute for 2 hours each way a day."

We live in a democracy. If I want to live in a 4 bed house which I bought and paid for, that is my right. I enjoy where I live, my community, neighbours, the proximity I have to what I enjoy.

The idea that I should be encouraged to move to facilitate those who "need" it is beyond ridiculous- how can you guarantee a family of 5 buys it? The only way to do that is to enact a law, otherwise another "single" buys it. Am I to be penalised for being single, hardworking and willingto sacrifice to get the location and space I want?

"while those who need that space commute for 2 hours each way a day."

We live in a democracy. If I want to live in a 4 bed house which I bought and paid for, that is my right. I enjoy where I live, my community, neighbours, the proximity I have to what I enjoy.

The idea that I should be encouraged to move to facilitate those who "need" it is beyond ridiculous- how can you guarantee a family of 5 buys it? The only way to do that is to enact a law, otherwise another "single" buys it. Am I to be penalised for being single, hardworking and willingto sacrifice to get the location and space I want?

Its why I said encouraged and have only talked about tax breaks on sale etc.. rather than tax penalisation for staying. The idea is not to force all the retired out , but tell them 'hey, you can sell that 5 bed now while youre 65 and pay no tax and move to the country, or keep it till youre elderly and boom , its going to have its value eroded by the fair deal or your kids will pay inheritance tax, thats a serious motivator for them.

Pushing elderly people "to the country" is an absolutely terrible idea! All it would do is cause serious isolation issues and inability to cope as people start to lose the ability to drive.

It's grand when you're 65, 70 but when you hit being properly old being in a remote area has serious downsides.

There's a lot of scope though for regeneration of villages and towns by encouraging people to move into those kinds of urban spaces. It means proper planning though and making them really attractive.

We aren't really planning at all for when this generation gets old as we're not going to have as many people to look after us. We should be creating the kinds of communities we can retain independence in well into our 90s and beyond if we're lucky enough to get there.

Pushing elderly people "to the country" is an absolutely terrible idea! All it would do is cause serious isolation issues and inability to cope as people start to lose the ability to drive.

It's grand when you're 65, 70 but when you hit being properly old being in a remote area has serious downsides.

There's a lot of scope though for regeneration of villages and towns by encouraging people to move into those kinds of urban spaces. It means proper planning though and making them really attractive.

country towns and enjoy their retirement. It would need a lot of services etc

I did clearly specify that, not just throw them into a farmhouse in roscommon and hope for the best.

country towns and enjoy their retirement. It would need a lot of services etc

I did clearly specify that, not just throw them into a farmhouse in roscommon and hope for the best.

It even works in cities though. I mean the kind of accommodation that's works for me now, without kids would be ideal again in my 70s. All you need is a lift!

I lived in Spanish cities of Cork's size and my neighbours were all either singles / young couples without kids or old couples and old singles and it worked phenomenally well.

The older folks were down in the bars and cafes as much as the younger ones and we all knew each other. They were basically enjoying very active retirements. A lot of them even traded down for two apartments. One in the North (for the summer) and one in Lanzarote or anywhere on the south coast (for when it was chilly in a northern Spanish winter).

The nextdoor neighbours were in their 80s and constantly throwing wild parties though. Slight downside!

It's about selling a quality of life, not a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wexforllion

I'm in the process of buying a house, just for myself for now.

Initially I considered buying something small but having seen what's on offer am looking at getting a 3 or 4 bed detached house.

Why?, I can afford it and they offer the best value, even if I'll leave rooms never used.
    Suitably sized properties are grim and overpriced.

Look, I agree there's been loads of poor planning- and there are surely folks who'd downsize if they could stay local. But lots of older folk don't want to leave their street never mind go "to the country". These suggestions are impractical. Friend's mam is widowed in a 5 bed. Originally from "the country". All kids did well - no boomerang kids. Should she go back to "the country" after 40 years on her road knowing all the neighbours? Not going to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My house of 132 square metres is not under occupied. If I want to have a naked room in it or turn a room into a walk in handbag closet or knock 3 rooms together and make a ginornmous bathroom - my business. I own it and all this crap about occupancy is insane.

Jeez, we get it, you’re loaded. :rolleyes:

I love how even a conversation about house ownership here is such an emotional topic, people can’t even begin to be logical, discuss a few facts, without immediately resorting to terms like “all this crap” and “insane”.

People bleat on about a homeless problem, but give no thought whatsoever to how our society has almost forced it to exist, through our model of hallowed ownership and the ensuing disrespect for both tenants (seen as “less than”, and certainly not to be aspired to), and landlords (evil, greedy and any other pejorative to hand).

There is a ridiculous lack of support for the existence of a decent functional, multifaceted rental sector here.

It’s surely next on the list for the maturity of this country. When we managed to accept women having extra marital sex, divorce , lgbt rights... the living structure where we can rent where we want, when we want, and change that as our lifetime needs change if we want, or stay put if we want... well, it might be along sometime in the next few decades. You know. Freedom to choose. The understanding that not everyone lives the same life.

And as for booting elderly people out to the country. That seems completely backwards. Uproot people when they need a sense of community and knowledge of their surroundings most? It’s young people who want to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a well established principle of good planning to develop a housing mix that allows people to upside and downsize as their needs change without moving area.

So since we now have a lot of old people in suburbs filled with low density family houses, a possible solution is to build apartments in those suburbs.

But then you get the likes of Varadkar interfering in the planning process to stop this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Its why I said encouraged and have only talked about tax breaks on sale etc.. rather than tax penalisation for staying. The idea is not to force all the retired out , but tell them 'hey, you can sell that 5 bed now while youre 65 and pay no tax and move to the country, or keep it till youre elderly and boom , its going to have its value eroded by the fair deal or your kids will pay inheritance tax, thats a serious motivator for them.

Or like rational people we could immediately conclude that "under occupation" is a complete misnomer and that the real problem lies with this governments' inaction in having an affordable housing solution.

Tax penalisation for staying in a house you have paid for all your life and own would never be implementable for the most obvious reasons. That it is even being discussed shows how disjointed and removed certain elements of an already spoilt child society are.

pwurple wrote: »

Jeez, we get it, you’re loaded. :rolleyes:

I love how even a conversation about house ownership here is such an emotional topic, people can’t even begin to be logical, discuss a few facts, without immediately resorting to terms like “all this crap” and “insane”.

People bleat on about a homeless problem, but give no thought whatsoever to how our society has almost forced it to exist, through our model of hallowed ownership and the ensuing disrespect for both tenants (seen as “less than”, and certainly not to be aspired to), and landlords (evil, greedy and any other pejorative to hand).

There is a ridiculous lack of support for the existence of a decent functional, multifaceted rental sector here.

It’s surely next on the list for the maturity of this country. When we managed to accept women having extra marital sex, divorce , lgbt rights... the living structure where we can rent where we want, when we want, and change that as our lifetime needs change if we want, or stay put if we want... well, it might be along sometime in the next few decades. You know. Freedom to choose. The understanding that not everyone lives the same life.

And as for booting elderly people out to the country. That seems completely backwards. Uproot people when they need a sense of community and knowledge of their surroundings most? It’s young people who want to move around.

I am not loaded. I worked in 5, yes 5 different countries to afford my house. I've never driven anything more expensive than a polo/micra.

What I did not do was bring kids I could not afford into the world and expect the taxpayer to fund my lifestyle, preferably in the area I grew up in close to mammy.

I actually want a social welfare system, a good health and education system and am satisfied to pay taxes for that. But we're not getting that because we have to fund people's irresponsibility. I have the way Ireland treated women historically- but now there is full contraception available and abortion. Yet over and over we see that a huge cohort of the people demanding social housing have never worked and had kids (And I mean the fathers too) that they just assumed the state would raise.

Meanwhile we can't have scandi style day care or cheap student accommodation because we fund people who sleep in garda stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Culture has a lot to do with these things, in rural areas lots of formally small villages and towns now have housing estates yet the are not popular a site to build your own house is far more popular its a mindset there seems to be a slight suspicion of living too close to neighbors.

In urban areas peopel want gardens and spacious houses despite this being poor use of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

mariaalice wrote: »

In urban areas peopel want gardens and spacious houses despite this being poor use of land.

And they can't be entirely blamed for thinking that way. My husband and I would "millennials", so are his peers.
    He grew up in a really nice part on the North side, in a Semi-D with big garden. All of his peers did too. They all went to good schools in good postcodes and went on to do college degrees and the vast majority is better educated than their parents and work very hard. Yet all par one couple (he went to a private school) cannot even remotely afford the standard of living their parents had. And still, this mindset of Semi-D, SUV, sprogs and golden lab is so engrained in them that it indeed is a rude awakening to see that realistically they will never live like their own parents.

Now I come from Europe, I grew up in rented apartments in some areas, single parent family and we were poor. When I moved to Ireland most people struggled to wrap their head around how this is sustainable/doable. I regularly have an argument with my in-laws because they genuinely think you cannot raise children in an apartment setting.
    Apartment living has always been branded as living for the poor, inferior, students and just something you do for a bit until you can buy your own gaff. And this mindset persists.
    We now live in a remote location and plan to move in the next 2-3 years because we don't particularly like it but that's what we could afford. And I'd totally live in a decent apartment somewhere more built up with the children. But that simply doesn't exist, which is a shame because it is hugely efficient housing and can be done so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Friend's mam is widowed in a 5 bed. Originally from "the country". All kids did well - no boomerang kids. Should she go back to "the country" after 40 years on her road knowing all the neighbours? Not going to happen!

When you see pensioners that have 30-50k in repair bills because they haven't been upstairs in 10 years you begin to rethink the whole "forever home" mentality we have. Houses need to be lived in, heated, cleaned and maintained. As people get older it becomes unmanageable for a lot of them.

Friend's mam is widowed in a 5 bed. Originally from "the country". All kids did well - no boomerang kids. Should she go back to "the country" after 40 years on her road knowing all the neighbours? Not going to happen!

When you see pensioners that have 30-50k in repair bills because they haven't been upstairs in 10 years you begin to rethink the whole "forever home" mentality we have. Houses need to be lived in, heated, cleaned and maintained. As people get older it becomes unmanageable for a lot of them.

I agree - but for lots of these people the community and neighbours are far more important. We can't just assume they'll move to suit a current need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We can't assume they won't move either. What we should be doing is making sure there are suitable property options within those communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I agree - but for lots of these people the community and neighbours are far more important. We can't just assume they'll move to suit a current need.

I agree in a way. There is a very delicate balance to be struck.

My own mother lives in our family home a large 4 bed in a fairly small cavan town.

There is a real community feeling and many of the people on the street have lived there for 40 to 50 years, everybody knows everybody and the neighbours are a short walk away.

But at the same time the houses are a mix of sizes, mostly 19th century and some are badly built and badly designed inside (steep stairs, steps in the kitchens, no downstairs toilets).

If an older person was to fall and break their hip (as a neighbour recently did) then life in the house could get very hard very quickly.

There are no easy solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think there will be always more wasteful use of resources in Ireland because there is space. Ireland has low population density and most people expect to live in larger housing than people in other parts of Europe. Denser housing is needed especially in cities but apartments in Ireland are not good enough. To make them family friendly you need play areas outside, decent central heating, good sound and fire proofing. Whining about pensioners in big houses is completely ignoring the fact different more functional type of apartment living should be offered if you want people to move away from houses with back gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

LirW wrote: »
    And they can't be entirely blamed for thinking that way. My husband and I would "millennials", so are his peers.
    He grew up in a really nice part on the North side, in a Semi-D with big garden. All of his peers did too. They all went to good schools in good postcodes and went on to do college degrees and the vast majority is better educated than their parents and work very hard. Yet all par one couple (he went to a private school) cannot even remotely afford the standard of living their parents had. And still, this mindset of Semi-D, SUV, sprogs and golden lab is so engrained in them that it indeed is a rude awakening to see that realistically they will never live like their own parents.

Now I come from Europe, I grew up in rented apartments in some areas, single parent family and we were poor. When I moved to Ireland most people struggled to wrap their head around how this is sustainable/doable. I regularly have an argument with my in-laws because they genuinely think you cannot raise children in an apartment setting.
    Apartment living has always been branded as living for the poor, inferior, students and just something you do for a bit until you can buy your own gaff. And this mindset persists.
    We now live in a remote location and plan to move in the next 2-3 years because we don't particularly like it but that's what we could afford. And I'd totally live in a decent apartment somewhere more built up with the children. But that simply doesn't exist, which is a shame because it is hugely efficient housing and can be done so well.
    One of the problems with apt living in Ireland is you can’t depend on the weather in the summer holidays, plus IRISH parents will no longer let kids play on the street. So kids are stuck indoors unless you have a garden. Have seen young kids playing football in public squares right in the centre of Seville with no obvious supervision. Wouldn’t happen here.

Advertisement