Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2019, 09:51   #16
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ireland has chronic dwelling under occupancy because of legal delays?
If course not. It's multi faceted issue. Not caused by any one factor that people love to blow out of proportion.

What's the average time taken to sort out a Will or downside an older person property. Why do people generally not do it. Are we building retirement village that are fully serviced? What's the cost to change. If someone is in a nursing home how long before their house is repurposed?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 09:55   #17
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
People jump to assumption is old people in large houses when previous reports suggested this wasnt that big an issue. Also people wanting to rent or buy first property don't generally buy or afford these houses.
I can't imagine that assumption is correct. While it's no doubt part of the issue, there is no way it could account for 70%.
16-06-2019, 09:57   #18
ml100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
So now homelessness is caused by selfish people saving up, getting a mortgage, rearing a family and wanting to actually live in the house they actually BOUGHT?
Wasn't there some numbers published a while ago of the number of council owned houses with only 1 occupant, maybe the government should start there.

Last edited by Graham; 16-06-2019 at 10:04. Reason: fix broken quote
(4) thanks from:
16-06-2019, 09:58   #19
is_that_so

Quote:
What's the average time taken to sort out a Will or downside an older person property. Why do people generally not do it. Are we building retirement village that are fully serviced? What's the cost to change. If someone is in a nursing home how long before their house is repurposed?
Probate typically takes 4-6 months and depends on "delays" in the Probate Office, may be a good bit longer if there is property involved. Downsizing is a problem in the sense that there may be nowhere to downsize to. A couple I knew wanted to move from 3 bed suburban into an inner suburbs 2 bed apartment. They had even gone Sale Agreed before they added up the ongoing cost of management and other ancillary fees on the apartment they liked, so they remained in the house.
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 09:59   #20
Franz Von Peppercorn II

Quote:
Is there any situation where people want more legal delays and added expense?

I don't get what you are asking....
You listed stuff you don’t like. How is either causing this? If people wanted to downsize they would. “Interference in the housing market” is a statement not a proof.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 10:00   #21
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml100 View Post
Wasn't there some numbers published a while ago of the number of council owned houses with only 1 occupant, maybe the government should start there.
Something in the region of 25% of LA housing is under occupied.

It's certainly one area that needs to be looked at.

Similarly, given the increasing numbers of 1 and 2 person households it's also fairly obvious there's not going to be a 3-bed semi in the burbs for everyone in the audience.
16-06-2019, 10:00   #22
Franz Von Peppercorn II

Quote:

This was the bedroom tax applied in the U.K.
16-06-2019, 10:02   #23
is_that_so

Quote:

No, the point is that we now have too many oversized houses to match our likely modern household units. Bad planning is an awful lot more to blame along with our reluctance to see beyond the house with a garden.

Last edited by Graham; 16-06-2019 at 10:03. Reason: Quote fix
16-06-2019, 10:06   #24
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn II View Post
You listed stuff you don’t like. How is either causing this? If people wanted to downsize they would. “Interference in the housing market” is a statement not a proof.
So I say it's multi faceted and you wanted to discuss it as a single issue? I don't agree with your premise.

I tried to help some family to downsize and there was nothing suitable or cost effective to down size too. I heard similar from other people also.

No idea what you mean by interference or from where you are referencing that.
Advertisement
16-06-2019, 10:07   #25
Graham

Quote:
I tried to help some family to downsize and there was nothing suitable or cost effective to down size too. I heard similar from other people also.
Planning/taxation policy could start and influence behaviour there for both owners and developers.
16-06-2019, 10:11   #26
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
No, the point is that we now have too many oversized houses to match our likely modern household units. Bad planning is an awful lot more to blame along with our reluctance to see beyond the house with a garden.
I'm not seeing a oversupply of houses. When they do go on sale they get snapped up, at the right price point.

That there is a huge demand for apartments in cities is a separate issue. REITs are concentrating on apartments they seem to be the majority of new builds at the moment. Of course they won't be cheap.
16-06-2019, 10:15   #27
Graham

Interesting commentary from Conor Skeehan in an Indo article from the end of last year:

Quote:
The supply of traditional semi-detached houses will meet and "begin to exceed" demand in the New Year for the first time since the recovery from the economic crash more than a decade ago, according to housing experts.
But the "over-supply" of what will be in many cases unaffordable houses in locations congested and poorly served by public transport will lead to what is being called a "new housing crisis".
Quote:
Mr Skehan predicts the over-supply of the wrong type of housing, the lack of convenient rental properties, and increasing rents will lead to the emergence of what he calls a "new urban politics".
https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37666390.html
16-06-2019, 10:16   #28
is_that_so

Quote:
I'm not seeing a oversupply of houses. When they do go on sale they get snapped up, at the right price point.

That there is a huge demand for apartments in cities is a separate issue. REITs are concentrating on apartments they seem to be the majority of new builds at the moment. Of course they won't be cheap.
There's a huge deficit of apartments as well, something like 10K in Dublin. We actually need the cheaper end ones as well, lots of them - not the communal area for 40 idea, but there is scope for something like that too. Most of all we have to go upwards.
I agree with the repurposing or resizing of some properties as a possible option to be explored.
Thanks from:
16-06-2019, 10:19   #29
beauf

Quote:
Planning/taxation policy could start and influence behaviour there for both owners and developers.
Remember the tax incentive apartments back in the 90s
16-06-2019, 10:21   #30
4ensic15
Banned

Quote:
Ireland has chronic dwelling under occupancy because of legal delays?
It would be more to do with the mechanics of downsizing. It is a daunting prospect for a septuagenarian to contemplate selling tyheir home and buying another. They may not have ready cash for deposits, legal fees and the ability to borrow. In addition, Selling, renting and buying again is not easy. No wonder they stay in their houses till they die.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion