Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The social utility of stigma surrounding poor mental health.

Options
  • 13-06-2019 11:31am

People often say there is a stigma around discussing periods of poor mental health. I'm not sure that that's actually the case, but it's become so ingrained that I assume it's a real thing.

Is it safe to assume that this stigma has some kind of social utility, and if so, what is that?

I'd offer my own suggestions but they are highly amateur and have no evidential basis, so I'd much rather read some factual opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Stigma can be both subjective and objective I'd imagine. Previously mental ill health has been "used" for anything from experiments to making sure members of the family don't get their entitlements. Not sure if this is what you mean by social utility or many would argue that someone who is anxious and insecure will consume more and constantly seek perfection so sales will keep on increasing.
    No evidence to support the latter but plenty to support the former.

Stigma can be both subjective and objective I'd imagine. Previously mental ill health has been "used" for anything from experiments to making sure members of the family don't get their entitlements. Not sure if this is what you mean by social utility or many would argue that someone who is anxious and insecure will consume more and constantly seek perfection so sales will keep on increasing.
    No evidence to support the latter but plenty to support the former.

By social utility, I'm referring to any behaviour or activity than is useful (even unconsciously useful) to the general population, where incidents of bad mental health are not discussed/ acknowledged. This usefulness might be economic, psychological, genetic, or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

It's really cool that you've only heard second hand accounts of stigma, that's great, that must mean it's getting better, right?

If you want to know about the utility of stigma around mental illness you gotta read Madness and Civilization by Michel Foucault, it'll blow ya mind

Advertisement