Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2019, 19:04   #31
MaybeMaybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
It was a headbutt, no question about it.
#mediumforce
Advertisement
30-04-2019, 20:48   #32
bilston

Looks like Stockdale is going to miss the game on Saturday.
30-04-2019, 20:50   #33
bilston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMaybe View Post
#mediumforce
If the range for a headbutt is 6-12 weeks then 9 weeks it is.

#mediumban
30-04-2019, 20:52   #34
launish116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilston View Post
Looks like Stockdale is going to miss the game on Saturday.
Big loss!

Best supposely back training also! Could really do with his scrumaging!
01-05-2019, 05:14   #35
swiwi_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venjur View Post
As for the incident at the weekend I'm not sure what to make of it, it looks like it could be a headbutt but it also looks like it could be him sizing up to a taller player.
I like the vast majority of what you post venjur, but when it comes to defending Leinster players, your bias knows no bounds. I think you're the only Leinster fan on the forum I've read who doesn't think this was a headbutt, which is saying something. Wagons are routinely circled on here out of the loyalty that Irish fans (often commendably) show for their provinces, but a 1 wagon circle of wagons tells its own story.

It seems to me Reidy shoved or possibly half-heartedly punched McFadden, so he's no angel, but I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that justifies a headbutt.

You just need to post that Reidy was using a "camel grip" on McFadden and the circle will be complete.

I suppose you could argue McFadden was sizing up Reidy if medical testing shows McFadden has eyes on the top of his skull, hence needing to flex his head to see Reidy, otherwise that's a headbutt, and McFadden will be getting several weeks on the sidelines.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 05:17   #36
swiwi_

As an aside the person who comes out the worst in this is the touch judge IMO. Cowardly and ridiculous to defer to Clancy and the TMO when he clearly saw (and reported to Clancy) that it was a headbutt. Not even sure why he felt the need to agree to a TMO review.
Thanks from:
01-05-2019, 07:23   #37
molloyjh

Yeah it was a headbutt. It was stupid and it isn't the first time Ferg has gotten wound up like that. As a senior player he should know better and be setting a better standard. But I think calling him a dirty player is a stretch. I can only remember 1 other occasion where he did something this bad. In a 10 year career that's not enough to call him dirty. His no arm tackle was careless, but not deliberate. Hes had more of those (throwing everything into a tackle and making a balls of it) than generally dirty incidents. And even at that there haven't been an huge number of those either.
01-05-2019, 07:37   #38
swiwi_

Ah yeah, the poster calling McFadden dirty is as biased in the Ulser direction as Venjur in the Leinster one IMHO.
01-05-2019, 07:47   #39
Venjur

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiwi_ View Post
Ah yeah, the poster calling McFadden dirty is as biased in the Ulser direction as Venjur in the Leinster one IMHO.
I said it could be a headbutt, but much like the ref on the night I couldn't be completely sure and I'd want to hear from both players first.

I sure am generally biased towards my team but not to the point of lost objectivity. If newer footage is clearer then I'll consider that in the same light, but what I saw at the time wasn't clear cut enough for me to be sure.

I don't see what's unreasonable enough about that to warrant your previous post.
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 09:14   #40
Paul Smeenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiwi_ View Post
Yeah, I completely 'fess up to that. Absolutely biased.

You will find posts from me about McFadden before, of course, expressing concern that he could lose us an international match with a rush of blood to the head. After Leinster matches that didn't involve Ulster. I've thought him "problematic" for a while now.

And I'm the only one that offered any context around how long our other Irish wingers have been banned for over the years. Surely that wider context is as objective as you can ask for?

Put it this way. Are there any other Irish wingers, with international honours, that have spent as long banned for foul play as he has? Or anywhere close?
01-05-2019, 09:21   #41
molloyjh

Has Ferg ever been carded in an Irish Jersey? Banned? Penalised more than anyone else? Just because you've said it before, doesn't mean it's any more accurate or objective. I can count on 1 hand the discipline issues Ferg has had over the last decade, so I'm really not sure where you're getting this from tbh.
Thanks from:
01-05-2019, 09:21   #42
molloyjh

Has Ferg ever been carded in an Irish Jersey? Banned? Penalised more than anyone else? Just because you've said it before, doesn't mean it's any more accurate or objective. I can count on 1 hand the discipline issues Ferg has had over the last decade, so I'm really not sure where you're getting this from tbh.
01-05-2019, 09:25   #43
Paul Smeenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by molloyjh View Post
So it's not reasonable to worry that if he is banned substantially mote playing for his province than any other Irish wingers, that that might happen one day in a green jersey? Right...

In fact, what you're saying is worse. If he can control himself in an international as well as anybody else, why the hell is he playing the cowboy at club level?
01-05-2019, 09:27   #44
Former Former

I don't think anyone could dispute that McFadden has a short fuse. His "combative" nature is part of what makes him a really good player when he's maybe not the most natural winger. He's gone too far on occasion though.
01-05-2019, 09:33   #45
Squidgy Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by errlloyd View Post
What impact does a 6 week ban have (if he gets one?) . Mcfadden is pretty far from the world cup squad, but I bet he was hoping to get one shot in the seconds at a world cup warm up game. Gone now surely
It'd take a long line of injuries for Ferg to get close to the warm up squad, the likes of Adam Byrne, Sweetnam and Dave Kearney would be ahead of him for a call up, the only caps Ferg has picked up this season with Leinster have been during the international windows and then with the seconds.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion