Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-04-2019, 13:07   #1
Fr Tod Umptious

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Well since the league thread was shut I think it's time for a championship thread

Second year of The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Groups are

Group 1
Munster Winner
Ulster Winner
Connacht final loser or qualifier
Leinster final loser of qualifier

Group 2
Connacht winner
Leinster winner
Munster final loser or qualifier
Ulster final loser or qualifier

In a change from last year the first round of QF games will be
13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Provincial winner home v Qualifier

20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Provincial winner v Provincial winner at CP
Qualifier v Qualifier at CP

03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Qualifier at home v Provincial winner.

New rules like the advance mark and sin bin that were used in the league will not be used in the championship

So obviously Dublin are going for five in a row.
They had a (by their standards) poor league but I would not read anything into that
They will again breeze through Leinster.
Meath had a good league and could make the final as even Kildare are on the other side

Munster is equally as straight forward with Cork getting relegated, Kerry will breeze through it too

Ulster has a bit more spice
There are three decent teams in Ulster, in no particular order Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal
Tyrone and Donegal potentially meet in a SF thus leaving the loser with 3 games to get past to get to the group stages , and thus end up in any of the two groups.

Tyrone finished the league very strongly which is a good sign for them

Monaghan have the easier side on paper so have a good chance of getting to the final

Connacht is a two horse race
Newly minted League champions Mayo go to NYC next months an then play Roscommon or Leitrim if they win in NYC
Galway go to London first and if they win play Sligo
So that sets up a very important Connacht final in Salthill between Galway and Mayo
Galway have owned Mayo this last few years but have done little else
Even in the league they were 7 points up at 35 mins away from a league final the they conspired to lose the game and the final place

Winning this is very important for both and it makes the groups stages much easier

The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Group 1 is an absolute stinker
Consider this
Kerry
Tyrone
Mayo/Galway
Donegal

All very possible
Kerry after they win Munster will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin

But as we say in the league where they struggled v a stronger more experienced team in Mayo they ill meet similar opposition in Group 1 in the form of Tyrone/Monaghan/Donegal, Mayo/Galway etc.
Its far from a given that Kerry will get out of their group if the group is made up of anything like the above.
I'll say it now, if Kerry v Mayo is the first game in Group 1 then we may well see the end of Kerry's 20+ year unbeaten streak in Killarney

i can see Tyrone being strong here and getting to another SF

Group 2
Getting in here is vital for Mayo or Galway
You get to play Dublin in CP in July and avoid them in the SF
It is not as tough a group as Group 1 in my opinion, although it will also contain the Ulster loser or qualifier.

I can't see anyone stopping Dublin getting to the final and the only team I can see beating them or even getting close to beating them in the final is Mayo

Mod Note: Do not bring the Dublin financial advantage argument into this thread. The thread basically descends into trench warfare with neither side of the debate moving from their positions. It also means that nothing else gets discussed for pages and pages.
This can be discussed here.
Cards and bans will be issued if this rule is brought up here from now on.

Last edited by Hammer Archer; 15-07-2019 at 15:38.
Advertisement
14-04-2019, 13:10   #2
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
Well since the league thread was shut I think it's time for a championship thread

Second year of The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Groups are

Group 1
Munster Winner
Ulster Winner
Connacht final loser or qualifier
Leinster final loser of qualifier

Group 2
Connacht winner
Leinster winner
Munster final loser or qualifier
Ulster final loser or qualifier

In a change from last year the first round of QF games will be
13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Provincial winner home v Qualifier

20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Provincial winner v Provincial winner at CP
Qualifier v Qualifier at CP

03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
Qualifier at home v Provincial winner.

New rules like the advance mark and sin bin that were used in the league will not be used in the championship

So obviously Dublin are going for five in a row.
They had a (by their standards) poor league but I would not read anything into that
They will again breeze through Leinster.
Meath had a good league and could make the final as even Kildare are on the other side

Munster is equally as straight forward with Cork getting relegated, Kerry will breeze through it too

Ulster has a bit more spice
There are three decent teams in Ulster, in no particular order Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal
Tyrone and Donegal potentially meet in a SF thus leaving the loser with 3 games to get past to get to the group stages , and thus end up in any of the two groups.

Tyrone finished the league very strongly which is a good sign for them

Monaghan have the easier side on paper so have a good chance of getting to the final

Connacht is a two horse race
Newly minted League champions Mayo go to NYC next months an then play Roscommon or Leitrim if they win in NYC
Galway go to London first and if they win play Sligo
So that sets up a very important Connacht final in Salthill between Galway and Mayo
Galway have owned Mayo this last few years but have done little else
Even in the league they were 7 points up at 35 mins away from a league final the they conspired to lose the game and the final place

Winning this is very important for both and it makes the groups stages much easier

The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Group 1 is an absolute stinker
Consider this
Kerry
Tyrone
Mayo/Galway
Donegal

All very possible
Kerry after they win Munster will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin

But as we say in the league where they struggled v a stronger more experienced team in Mayo they ill meet similar opposition in Group 1 in the form of Tyrone/Monaghan/Donegal, Mayo/Galway etc.
Its far from a given that Kerry will get out of their group if the group is made up of anything like the above.
I'll say it now, if Kerry v Mayo is the first game in Group 1 then we may well see the end of Kerry's 20+ year unbeaten streak in Killarney

i can see Tyrone being strong here and getting to another SF

Group 2
Getting in here is vital for Mayo or Galway
You get to play Dublin in CP in July and avoid them in the SF
It is not as tough a group as Group 1 in my opinion, although it will also contain the Ulster loser or qualifier.

I can't see anyone stopping Dublin getting to the final and the only team I can see beating them or even getting close to beating them in the final is Mayo
Great analysis.
(2) thanks from:
15-04-2019, 14:08   #3
C__MC

Definitely Dublin’s to lose, surprised the media are claiming there falling in back in the pack. They played the league without some of the great great players. Full back line is a worry but it has been since 2015. Doesn’t get exposed thar much as they cover so well and score at will at the other end.

Connolly and o Carroll returning ?
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 15:25   #4
ProudDUB

No and oh hell no.
15-04-2019, 17:57   #5
blowitupref

Galway reaching NFL final and their first AI semi final for a decade last year can hardly be classed as "done little else" to be fair. I don't see how Kerry will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin off the back of winning a poor Munster championship? they aren't good enough in defense or midfield to challenge Dublin and i won't be surprised if they make another quarter final exit.

I'm not convinced will Donegal do much better than last year either, a tough Ulster draw for them this year and could miss out on the quarter finals depending on the draw.

Dublin were in pre-season mode for the league and worrying for Mayo they were well beaten by Dublin in game that Rob Hennelly was MOTM. I think the last four will be Dublin,Tyrone,Galway and Mayo and eventhough they were well beaten in the final last year i think Tyrone will be the side that gets the closest to Dublin this summer.

Last edited by blowitupref; 15-04-2019 at 18:27.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 19:41   #6
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitupref View Post
Galway reaching NFL final and their first AI semi final for a decade last year can hardly be classed as "done little else" to be fair. I don't see how Kerry will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin off the back of winning a poor Munster championship? they aren't good enough in defense or midfield to challenge Dublin and i won't be surprised if they make another quarter final exit.

I'm not convinced will Donegal do much better than last year either, a tough Ulster draw for them this year and could miss out on the quarter finals depending on the draw.

Dublin were in pre-season mode for the league and worrying for Mayo they were well beaten by Dublin in game that Rob Hennelly was MOTM. I think the last four will be Dublin,Tyrone,Galway and Mayo and eventhough they were well beaten in the final last year i think Tyrone will be the side that gets the closest to Dublin this summer.
In 2016 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost a QF to the footballing giants that are Tipperary.

In 2017 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost the final to Roscommon, a team that went on to lose thier QF to Mayo by a mamoth 22 points, all be it after a replay.
Galway woosed out weakly to Kerry.

In 2018 they beat Mayo in Connacht and even though they beat Kerry in a non knockout game in CP they conspired to make things as tough as possible on themselves they losing at home to Monaghan and setting up a SF with Dublin which could have been avoided.
Oh and they woosed out weakly to Dublin.

I think the above is the definition of doing little else.

4 seasons on from breaking Mayo's grip on Connacht they are no closer to getting to an AI final, let alone winning one.
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 20:06   #7
PARlance

Quote:
Originally Posted by C__MC View Post
Definitely Dublin’s to lose, surprised the media are claiming there falling in back in the pack. They played the league without some of the great great players. Full back line is a worry but it has been since 2015. Doesn’t get exposed thar much as they cover so well and score at will at the other end.

Connolly and o Carroll returning ?
Why would it be surprising that the media are going with the "decline" angle.
Dublin to ease to 5 in a row is a hard story to sell all summer.
Thanks from:
15-04-2019, 20:12   #8
ProudDUB

Quote:

4 seasons on from breaking Mayo's grip on Connacht they are no closer to getting to an AI final, let alone winning one.
Far be it from me to get caught up in the cross fire of (yet more) Mayo/Galway border wars, but I would have thought that getting to an All Ireland semi final is a definite, measurable sign of getting closer to an All Ireland final? After all, only 4 counties do it every year.
(4) thanks from:
15-04-2019, 20:16   #9
spurshero

Quote:
In 2016 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost a QF to the footballing giants that are Tipperary.

In 2017 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost the final to Roscommon, a team that went on to lose thier QF to Mayo by a mamoth 22 points, all be it after a replay.

In 2018 they beat Mayo in Connacht and even though they beat Kerry in a non knockout game in CP they conspired to make things as tough as possible on themselves they losing at home to Monaghan and setting up a SF with Dublin which could have been avoided.

3 seasons on actually . They made a semi
Final last year although well beaten by Dublin . Always easy spot the Mayo fans that have a fear of Galway team winning all Ireland before them
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-04-2019, 20:19   #10
PARlance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDUB View Post
Far be it from me to get caught up in the cross fire of (yet more) Mayo/Galway border wars, but I would have thought that getting to an All Ireland semi final is a definite, measurable sign of getting closer to an All Ireland final? After all, only 4 counties do it every year.
There was no quarter final (knock-out) for them to lose...

bit early for this but sure is it ever too early.
15-04-2019, 20:25   #11
ProudDUB

They made it to an All Ireland semi final last year, which is more than Mayo (or Kerry) did. They might have made an unmerciful haims of how they got there, but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish the accomplishment over all.

Until Meath prove their promotion to Div 1 is more than just a flash in the pan, I'll have to make do with sticking my nose into your festering hatred of a neighbour to ease the boredom. Apols etc etc...
15-04-2019, 20:32   #12
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
But they had an easy way to avoid Dublin an thus give themselves a better chance to get to a final, but they lost at home to Monaghan

Just as they lost to Tyrone this year after being 7 up at HT and thus blew their chances of getting to a league final.

That sort of stuff cannot be good for ones confidence in them.
15-04-2019, 20:33   #13
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurshero View Post
3 seasons on actually . They made a semi
Final last year although well beaten by Dublin . Always easy spot the Mayo fans that have a fear of Galway team winning all Ireland before them
Oh totally agree, give me Dublin's 5 in a row before Galway's one in a row
15-04-2019, 20:43   #14
PARlance

Quote:
They made it to an All Ireland semi final last year, which is more than Mayo (or Kerry) did. They might have made an unmerciful haims of how they got there, but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish the accomplishment over all.

Until Meath prove their promotion to Div 1 is more than just a flash in the pan, I'll have to make do with sticking my nose into your festering hatred of a neighbour to ease the boredom. Apols etc etc...
Too early for me. We'll have to beat New York & Leitrim first.
15-04-2019, 20:52   #15
blowitupref

Quote:

2016 Galway were a side that couldn't get out of Div 2 so winning Connacht (first since 2008) was achievement in itself

2017 Galway recovered to reach the quarter finals by giving Donegal a good trimming. Roscommon you shouldn't forget were close to beating Mayo in that drawn game.

2018 as i stated already another Connacht title won along with NFL final and first AI semi final for over a decade which is not the definition of doing nothing else.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion