Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2019, 00:57   #61
molloyjh

I’d tend to agree that Ringrose is our best 13 by a bit of a distance. Every element of his game is strong and he does the nuts and bolts so, so well. Even last week when we were getting bossed all over he looked good.

I’m not sure about Aki at 13. Would need to see more of him there at that level. For me it’s Farrell and Addison next up. Henshaw and Aki are our 12s with pretty much nothing between them. That’s a good group of centres to be fair.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2019, 06:17   #62
Dubinusa

The thing with Henshaw at 12 is he defends the narrow channels so well. He rarely makes mistakes and he brings confidence to those alongside him.
At 13, he isn't quick enough to have the same impact as he does at 12.
Whereas, Ringrose and say Addison make it look natural, playing the outside channels, they seem to have a better grasp on how to defend and drift.
They both also are better at spotting a gap and exploiting it.
I haven't seen to much of Tom Farrell to make an opinion and Chris Farrell is very good.
As far as this week goes, if the pack get some impact and the half backs are good, we should win.
Just having Kearney back will take away the kicks in behind.
England had a field day with Henshaw back there.
Thanks from:
08-02-2019, 06:47   #63
troyzer

Send a message via MSN to troyzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinusa View Post
The thing with Henshaw at 12 is he defends the narrow channels so well. He rarely makes mistakes and he brings confidence to those alongside him.
At 13, he isn't quick enough to have the same impact as he does at 12.
Whereas, Ringrose and say Addison make it look natural, playing the outside channels, they seem to have a better grasp on how to defend and drift.
They both also are better at spotting a gap and exploiting it.
I haven't seen to much of Tom Farrell to make an opinion and Chris Farrell is very good.
As far as this week goes, if the pack get some impact and the half backs are good, we should win.
Just having Kearney back will take away the kicks in behind.
England had a field day with Henshaw back there.
Kearney was ****e against Scarlets remember. There's no guarantee he'll play well.
08-02-2019, 08:57   #64
aloooof

Quote:
I actually think defensively Ringrose is particularly good at identifying when to shoot as well, you so rarely see him making a mis-read in that regard.
08-02-2019, 09:04   #65
Former Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyzer View Post
Kearney was ****e against Scarlets remember. There's no guarantee he'll play well.
The entire team was ****e against England. There's no guarantee they'll play well.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2019, 09:30   #66
Bazzo

Quote:
I think Henshaw is a top quality 12. Not world class, but a very good one. Aki is similar imo.
As far as 13 goes, Henshaw is not at international level imo.
I think we build up our better players to the point that we think maybe one of our opposition would start on our team!
Ringrose is the best 13 by quite a ways, imo.
After him. I think Aki and Addison are good options.
Both Farrells are also good options.
Then there's not really anyone else?
This match on the weekend will help us see how we respond after getting horsed.
I expect a massive improvement and I think we win by a few points.
My biggest concern is Murray. I hope he's fit and gets it together.
If he was actually playing 13 regularly he would be a top 13 just like he is a 12. He never played 12 until Schmidt asked him to play there for Ireland don't forget, a lot of people (BOD included) had him as the anointed one to take the 13 jersey before anyone had heard Garry Ringrose's name.

Same goes for 15.
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2019, 09:39   #67
dub_skav

Thread title idea:
Ireland Team Talk Thread X: discussing everything - from A to Y
08-02-2019, 11:15   #68
roverjoyce

Don't know if mentioned before is it not a huge worry we have 4 injuries after 1 game where England only had 1
Are our players not battle ready for games
What is going to happen in the world cup when we may have to play South Africa in a quarter will we be down 5/6 players with their physicality

England played them last November and New Zealand the week after and didn't have to make many changes hard to believe Ireland doing that
08-02-2019, 11:17   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub_skav View Post
Thread title idea:
Ireland Team Talk Thread X: discussing everything - from A to Y
"Winner winner, nandos chicken dinner"!!
Advertisement
08-02-2019, 11:37   #70
jonok28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverjoyce View Post
Don't know if mentioned before is it not a huge worry we have 4 injuries after 1 game where England only had 1
Are our players not battle ready for games
What is going to happen in the world cup when we may have to play South Africa in a quarter will we be down 5/6 players with their physicality

England played them last November and New Zealand the week after and didn't have to make many changes hard to believe Ireland doing that
England vs Ireland is always an enormously physical match, always has been always will be, we never usually get them on the opening game of the 6 nations so we were throwing our guys into the deep end fairly quickly. England were massively physical last weekend and unfortunately we lost a few lads in the process. Toner was dealing with an ankle injury before the game and re-aggravated it I believe, Ringrose has been healthy fairly consistently so him going down is just bad luck, Standers injury can be marked as bad luck also, he plays fairly physical so its not completely unexpected that he got hurt, Henshaw was coming off a long lay off so not unsurprising that he might have re-aggravated something.

I think Joe is playing it safe with the injured guys, now that the Grand Slam isn't available I think he is afforded a bit of wiggle room to experiment with his Squad, see if someone players are worthy of inclusion to Japan. Roux, Dillane, Cooney and Farrell fit that description so giving them game time gives him some time to see what he has.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ireland's injury situation. The IRFU are going to protect these players for the World Cup as best as they can.
08-02-2019, 11:45   #71
Clegg

SoB to London Irish after the World Cup confirmed. Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london-irish-ireland-4483555-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink
08-02-2019, 11:57   #72
Riskymove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.
#Prayformods
(4) thanks from:
08-02-2019, 12:02   #73
stephen_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
SoB to London Irish after the World Cup confirmed. Won't effect selection for the tournament this autumn though.

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-lon...urce=shortlink
Fair play to him, I hope his body lasts up and he gets a decent pay check to fatten his retirement fund. Wouldn’t have been getting a central deal here, so makes perfect sense for him. Will be a loss to Leinster though, of that there’s no doubt.
08-02-2019, 12:24   #74
Banned

It'll be interesting to see if SOB is dropped from the squad after the weekend. Will Schmidt and the IRFU make it clear that different rules apply to different players.
08-02-2019, 12:27   #75
troyzer

Send a message via MSN to troyzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardAtWork View Post
It'll be interesting to see if SOB is dropped from the squad after the weekend. Will Schmidt and the IRFU make it clear that different rules apply to different players.
He won't be dropped.

Different rules apply to different situations, not necessarily different players.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion