Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddi diverters and logging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Neil. J. F

championc wrote: »
    So right now, with your panels generating power, what does the Eddi show on it's screen ?

It sounds like the installer has simply added a timed topup / boost of the immersion.

No checked that.
    See photo of display now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

As said above, you’d be better off contacting Myenergi - they’re very responsive and helpful. They may ask you to update your firmware but I think you’ll need a Myenergi hub to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

You certainly need a Hub for Firmware upgrades, but you need the Hub too to use the App, which I assume you do not have.

I'm sure that it would help the Eddi more if it knew too as to what was coming from the Solar Inverter, and to then know as to what the house was consuming.

Contacted GivEnergy and the bottom line is, the Eddi will not work properly with a hybrid inverter! It cannot differentiate between generated power and battery power.
    Hard to fathom, as our system is made up of all GivEnergy components.
    Seemingly, only the grid CT monitor will work, no other CT monitors can be added to a hybrid system. The only thing they could recommend was increasing the export margin.
    So be warned, an Eddi will drain batteries where a hybrid inverter is installed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Neil. J. F wrote: »
    Contacted GivEnergy and the bottom line is, the Eddi will not work properly with a hybrid inverter! It cannot differentiate between generated power and battery power.
    Seemingly, only the grid CT monitor will work, no other CT monitors can be added to a hybrid system. The only thing they could recommend was increasing the export margin.
    So be warned, an Eddi will drain batteries where a hybrid inverter is installed!

That's not actually true, I have an eddi with a givenergy hybrid inverter, and it works perfectly.

I can see graphs on my givenergy portal which shows the eddi tracking and soaking up the excess to hear perfection .

• Advertisement

They're talking a version of crap. Wex is correct. A CT clamp at the Inverter will let you (and Eddi) know what the inverter is producing. The only thing that you cannot do with a Hybrid is to get the Eddi to be prioritised over the battery recharging.

I reckon the Inverter will ALWAYS prioritise recharging of your batteries and will then allow surplus after that to go to the Eddi (once correctly configured), which I very much recommend you either contact MyEnergie to clarify how it works, or look through the manual and device and see as to how your installer has configured it.

And while you're at it, you may indeed be interested in the following thread, to verify / validate as to how well your overall Solar Panels installation is working - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058050685

Neil,

Happy to submit as much info on my eddi setup as I can, including photos etc if it helps. Won't have time till the weekend though.

Is there any chance that the issue is related to your charge/discharge settings in the inverter ?

Have you set the inverter to discharge the battery perhaps ?

Neil,

Happy to submit as much info on my eddi setup as I can, including photos etc if it helps. Won't have time till the weekend though.

Is there any chance that the issue is related to your charge/discharge settings in the inverter ?

Have you set the inverter to discharge the battery perhaps ?

Thanks for that. As far as I’m aware, I didn’t alter any settings through the cloud and can only go on what GivEnergy told me and what I’ve seen the Eddi doing with the power. They were crystal clear when I asked them directly if the Eddi could tell where generation ended and battery began. Their answer was no. The installer has come up with nothing other than increasing the export margin and response delay.
    Bit of a conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

championc wrote: »
    I reckon the Inverter will ALWAYS prioritise recharging of your batteries and will then allow surplus after that to go to the Eddi (once correctly configured),

That’s exactly how our installer told us our inverter worked.

Thanks for that. As far as I’m aware, I didn’t alter any settings through the cloud and can only go on what GivEnergy told me and what I’ve seen the Eddi doing with the power. They were crystal clear when I asked them directly if the Eddi could tell where generation ended and battery began. Their answer was no. The installer has come up with nothing other than increasing the export margin and response delay.
    Bit of a conundrum.

Ask your installer what are the settings on the inverter for charge/discharge ?

Was/is there any chance that the clamps on the eddi are crossed ?

• Advertisement

And from what I've seen elsewhere, MyEnergie are very prepared to help you if you reach out to them.

Have you checked as to what version of firmware your Eddi is running. Their updates are rarely for cosmetic reasons and would mostly be due to issues with their code which users have spotted and reported back to them.

markpb wrote: »
    That’s exactly how our installer told us our inverter worked.
    My problem is not a priority issue, the battery is charging before water is heated.
    The issue that I am having is that in the evening when generation has stopped, the Eddi is heating water with my stored battery power.

My problem is not a priority issue, the battery is charging before water is heated.
    The issue that I am having is that in the evening when generation has stopped, the Eddi is heating water with my stored battery power.

Neil,

Does it start at a specific time ? Is there a pattern ?

Can you post up some daily graphs from your portal ?

Neil,

No real pattern, it seems to take a big load just after switching off oven/cooker in the evening but have seen it take smaller loads at any time of the night.
    Will look up the graphs.

No real pattern, it seems to take a big load just after switching off oven/cooker in the evening but have seen it take smaller loads at any time of the night.
    Will look up the graphs.

That sounds like the CT clamp being backwards - when you're drawing a huge load rather than exporting

Try and see the Eddi screen when it's actually heating the water

Neil,

Graph from early today.
    Looks like discharge exceeding demand through the night, or am I reading it correctly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 dan.lambert

Hi Neil. J. F
    The Eddi needs to be configured with a time delay and also to prevent battery drain. This can be done through the advanced settings, password 0000, grid settings. The time delay needs setting to 30s and you should also see "Avoid Battery Drain". This will stop the Battery being discharged into the imersion. Hope this helps. It appears as the CT is placed correctly as any surplus pv power is going into the battery first.

Will look up the graphs.

Hi Neil, the battery had to ramp up to meet a large load, this can take anywhere up to 5 seconds. If a large load is turned on then suddenly switched off, the battery is still ramped uo to cover the demand and takes anywhere uo to 5 seconds to ramp back down. During this time the Eddie will see the export and switch on. The time delay settings needs adjusting in the Eddi and also the “Avoid Battery Drain” function needs enabling. This can be done on the Eddi through the advanced settings , password 0000, grid settings. You will find both settings to change on this page.
    Hope this helps

Hi Neil, the battery had to ramp up to meet a large load, this can take anywhere up to 5 seconds. If a large load is turned on then suddenly switched off, the battery is still ramped uo to cover the demand and takes anywhere uo to 5 seconds to ramp back down. During this time the Eddie will see the export and switch on. The time delay settings needs adjusting in the Eddi and also the “Avoid Battery Drain” function needs enabling. This can be done on the Eddi through the advanced settings , password 0000, grid settings. You will find both settings to change on this page.
    Hope this helps
    Many thanks for the plain language explanation Dan!
    It’s more than I got from MyEnergy or the installer. They have both recommended the adjustments you suggested here, plus increasing the export margin to 200w but didn’t explain the reasoning behind the changes. The one thing I don’t understand is the “avoid drain” setting, as with no CT monitor on the battery, I can’t see how the Eddi can tell if power is coming from the batteries or generation. I just have One CT monitor below the meter. Anyway, hopefully these changes will sort things out.
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Many thanks for the plain language explanation Dan!
    It’s more than I got from MyEnergy or the installer. They have both recommended the adjustments you suggested here, plus increasing the export margin to 200w but didn’t explain the reasoning behind the changes. The one thing I don’t understand is the “avoid drain” setting, as with no CT monitor on the battery, I can’t see how the Eddi can tell if power is coming from the batteries or generation. I just have One CT monitor below the meter. Anyway, hopefully these changes will sort things out.
    Thanks for the help everyone!

The Eddi cannot tell whether the energy is coming from the solar or battery, it merely detects export back to grid then switches on the imersion element and adjusts the voltage and current output in order to match the export power.

• Advertisement

Since changing to the recommended settings of 35 second response delay and export margin of 200w, everything seems to be working as it should be and the system is flying.
    Have had plenty of time to study the graphs.
    Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Query on eddi diverter. By using the clamp on the main electricity cable entering the house for this does the incoming power,power generated and self usage all show using one clamp?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

irishchris wrote: »
    Query on eddi diverter. By using the clamp on the main electricity cable entering the house for this does the incoming power,power generated and self usage all show using one clamp?

No, with one clamp you only know what way and how much it is flowing, either in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

No, you need to buy a second CT Clamp to get the generation values and configure the Eddi accordingly. From the manual:
    " Installing a CT for the generator (PV system) will allow the main screen to show the generated power and the total power consumption of the all the other appliances in the property."

Generation can only be measured by a CT Clamp on the AC side of a Solar PV Inverter. With a Clamp also on the incoming mains, and with the Eddi knowing what it itself is using, the full picture of usage is made from all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thanks everyone, so basically I need to buy a second clamp along with the one that comes with the eddi. One fitted on pv supply AC cable and one goes on main esb cable to fuseboard. Is this correct. Many thanks

Thanks everyone, so basically I need to buy a second clamp along with the one that comes with the eddi. One fitted on pv supply AC cable and one goes on main esb cable to fuseboard. Is this correct. Many thanks

Correct

The two ct clamps should then be wired into the Eddi onto connectors CT1 and CT2, and they need to then be configured as Grid and Generation. The MyEnergi App will then show all components (assuming you install a Hub too)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Hi unkel, i fitted the solic 200 wireless for €245, 200 without wireless. Easy to fit yourself. My meter box is about 30 metres away from house consumer unit. It works very well, but because i produce power at night also i did get light flicker. I changed bulbs to lcd and that solved that problem. The eddie is very expensive for what it is. Paypack would be along time.
    We were manually switching on imerrsion when we knew we were producing enough.
    But the diverter makes no mistakes. I had to extend ct clamp cable and put the wireless sender in the roof space to get a good signal to receiver. Her indoors loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Why is my Eddie taking power from the grid and sending it to the battery? In case anyone asks, it is definitely importing in this picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The eddi isn't doing anything it just sees where the power is going

Looks like the inverter is charging from the grid, any charge timers set up on it?

Advertisement