Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English County Cricket thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Cracking T20 knock by JB this evening for Yorks. Was on 56 (33 balls) when he pulled something in his leg/ankle and the match was delayed for treatment. He resumed with a runner, but proceeded to stand and deliver from the crease reaching his 100 from 48 balls. He ended up scoring 112 from 50 balls with 10 X 6 and 7 X 4! Yorks trounced Worcs by 94 runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

As destructive an opening batsman there's been really. Amazing bat speed. Probably a doubt for England next week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Gillespy wrote: »
    As destructive an opening batsman there's been really. Amazing bat speed. Probably a doubt for England next week now.

"His ankle has blown up,” said Andrew Gale, Yorkshire’s coach. “Hopefully it’s not ligament damage.”

Still, even on one leg Bairstow is more fearsome than most batters on two. If he ever crawls to the crease and takes guard on his knees, beware.

https://wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/t20-blast-2021-county-cricket/watch-injured-jonny-bairstow-smashes-incredible-t20-blast-century-on-one-leg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Durham smacking lancs bowlers all over and out..75-1 off 7 overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Northants finally managed to get their first T20 win of the year against Durham, miserable season so far in what is usually their strongest form of the game.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Watching the T20 war of the roses live from Old Trafford... Yorkshire only scoring 128-7 from their 20 overs... should be a reasonably straightforward chase for Lancashire unless Yorkshire eek out early wickets and mount a decent defense... I’m saying Lancashire with a couple of overs to spare .

Somerset vs Gloustershire was something to behold yesterday evening.

probably the finest T20 innings you’ll see... Tom Lammonby scoring 90 off just 36 deliveries... 90 off 36...power, precision and timing, one six going so high over the Somerset stand that the ball seemed it would break up around Jupiter... .

watch here ^^^^^

unreal hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

So the Hundred finally gets underway this evening with the women beginning first.

The graphics are horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yeah the graphics were terrible.

The format just feels unnecessary as it's so close to T20. And I don't like these 5-ball 'overs' - you're removing some of the staple stats that regular cricket viewers look for - run-rate, economy, etc.

They're not going after the regular cricket fan though, they want the young and women and families to go to it. You know, just like the crowds you already get in the T20 competitions in England that the ECB can't seem to see.

• Advertisement

Graphics need to be rethought, I don’t blame whomever designed them whomever approved them though, jesus fûck, makes it a tough watch.

ive just seen in 30 years of watching cricket something I have never seen nor thought I would ..

a cricketer being bowled by a full toss, which just clipped the bails dislodging them...but the umpire legitimately calling a no ball on height...so batter not out..

the batter advanced quickly ahead of the ball being bowled about a quarter ways down so the ball past her about 6 inches above waist height...clipping the top of the stumps.

I’m probably going to shoot sky sports an email enquiring why relaxing on a July Saturday morning watching live cricket, is approximately 25-30% of the action, the picture actually obscured constantly by stupid and piss poorly designed black and luminous graphics ...it’s absolutely thick as pigshit. The fact it’s more about ‘design’ than informing with these big arty chevron things...why ?

The only information needed on screen really is the score and overs gone... everything else can be imparted to viewers between overs or after a boundary is hit or after a wicket goes down... so every few balls....

Northants have changed the name of the Wantage Road End to the David Capel end, which is a lovely touch from the club, imo. Good win today in the one day comp, today was in honour of Capel and they donated to a brain cancer charity today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That hundred competition is just T20 on steroids

• I’m sure the ECB and Sky would regard that as a compliment..

Seen today, Finn bowled 15 balls in which he conceded 51 runs. 2 of them balls were wicket so 51 off 13, ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Paul Stirling opening for the Braves in the Eliminator, doing a good job so far, could be over in a flash!

Lancashire off to a flyer in the T20 blast vs Somerset.

44/1 after.... 3.3 overs. Fukkkk

115/4 after 10.. 200 plus almost a certainty the way the batsmen are hitting to all parts. Entertaining... all parts includes out of the ground

Post edited by Strumms on

Smeed hits the ball so hard. One four all along the ground went like one of Ravi Shastri's tracer bullets. Breathtaking pace across the grass.

Lancashire really missing Matt Parkinson now.

Northamptonshire doing us proud as usual. Lost by an innings and 44 runs to Essex. Essex only scored 170. Officially the fastest match ever in the County Championship. Northants are fu*king shít.

Its a hard place to go. Essex unbeaten at home for three years in a row. Takes some doing though to lose a game that quickly. Pitch wasn't that bad from what I gather, just awful batting.

• Advertisement

Some of the dismissals, 2nd innings particularly, were so poor, they clearly didn't care. Good news is our batting coach is the new head coach next season 😂

The Lancashire vs Hampshire game had a very tense finish. Hampshire needed to win to win the championship. Lancashire captain Dane Vilas made it more stressful than needed with a bad run out and then taking a brainless single exposing 10 and 11 to Mason Crane needing just two runs. 10 went giving Crane five wickets. Matt Parkinson survived and then Vilas finished it next over.

Warwickshire can win it if they beat Somerset tomorrow. If not Lancashire are champions.

Chris Lynn is probably going to play a bit of 2nd eleven Cricket for Northants. Signed for the Blast and apparently going to get a bit of time in the middle. Not really big news, but a recognisable overseas player for Northants is always good (even if they don't always turn out to be much cop :pac:)

yorkshire vs Lancashire a tasty watch… Lancashire posted a target of 184, probably par at OT but are bowling good and have Yorkshire at 69/3 with Root gone cheaply

Ended in a tie. Big crowd would have liked a super over.

Doesn't matter the format with Harry Brook. Must be very tempting to play him at Lord's next week when he in such form.

Lancashire when Buttler returns will be a powerful side alongside Livingston and Tim David.

Northants getting into their stride in the T20 after an absymal first game. Chris Lynn and Jimmy Neesham earning their overseas wages so far. Lynn send well up for it which is good to see!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What an incredible end to the Vitality Blast final

4 required by Lancashire from the last ball to result in equal scores but take the trophy and Nathan Ellis of Hampshire bowls Richard Gleeson. The Hants players go wild

All the fireworks go off, the place is covered in smoke and the umpire gets the message it was a no-ball, free hit

So now 2 needed once the air clears and the Hampshire players all despair

Ellis runs up again, and the batsman misses completely - 1 run through to the wicketkeeper and Hants win by 1 run

Looks like they had next year's fireworks in reserve as they all went off again

Didn't give them any chance of defending their score, particularly after Lancs. got off to a flyer in their power play. Blast is still brilliant, the hundred can die a death soon please.

In other news the other day Northants registered their first win in the top flight of the county championship for 18 years! Only lost once this year but so many draws. That win took them out of bottom three, and also above Yorkshire 😃.

Sam Northeast is on 410 not out at lunch on day four for Glamorgan against Leicestershire.

They lead by 211 and so the question is does Northeast go for Brian Lara's famous 501?

• Advertisement

Glamorgan, 3rd in Division 2 have to push for a win and declared at lunch even though the pitch is a road. Boo!

Northeast's knock was the 9th highest first class score of all time and the highest in county cricket since that legendary Lara score.

Advertisement