Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English County Cricket thread.

• 25-07-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

As suggested elsewhere, a thread for all things English County Cricket. Limited overs, T20 and County Championships.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So who is actually good nowadays? I haven't followed it for years. Are there any Irish players still playing?

I see Glamorgan are still last though, thats comforting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So who is actually good nowadays? I haven't followed it for years. Are there any Irish players still playing?

I see Glamorgan are still last though, thats comforting :D

There will probably be a lot less Irish in England once 2019 arrives, they'll be classed as overseas players and much less attractive for counties.

Surrey are unbeaten in the County Championship, Glamorgan are worse than Northants this year which is a feat in itself in that form of the game.

T20 is wide open, most teams still in with a shout (not the Steelbacks :()

There's a good read in the Guardian today about the morons at the ECB hairbrained t20 scheme.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/25/domestic-game-under-threat-lords-leaps-wretched-conclusion

That's a nice read, the Guardian really does great sports journalism

That's a nice read, the Guardian really does great sports journalism

They do, it's the only bit of the paper (online) I read now.

He hit the nail on the head with Ben Duckett too unfortunately.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As suggested elsewhere, a thread for all things English County Cricket. Limited overs, T20 and County Championships.
    Any support for a Yorkshire sub-forum?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Beasty wrote: »

None.......

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Poor Rankin is getting spanked all over the place.

Where you can say what you like, and like what you bloody well say?

Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've been to Leeds.

Steelbacks obliterated by the Rapids today. Change is needed on and off the pitch.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

….and Yorkshire obliterated the Brummie Bears

We'll be a half decent team when we can play everyone - guess it was only Bairstow & Root missing today though

In other news Liam Plunkett will be joining Surrey at the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

….and Yorkshire obliterated the Brummie Bears

We'll be a half decent team when we can play everyone - guess it was only Bairstow & Root missing today though

In other news Liam Plunkett will be joining Surrey at the end of the season

Daft from Surrey to give a 33yo old a three year contract. Especially since he will most likely spend the majority of it with England anyway.

Daft from Surrey to give a 33yo old a three year contract. Especially since he will most likely spend the majority of it with England anyway.

If he's contracted with the ECB, they will be paying a chunk of his wages, and It takes away another decent player from the competition too. Besides, Surrey aren't short of a few bob anyway.

Yorkshire only offered him 1 year which is why he chose to move. I suspect a 3 year deal was the minimum that would entice him away.

Just to add through, cricketers often play on, certainly at this level, into their late 30s, and Plunkett has over recent years displayed quality in all forms of the game. I suspect he would be an asset to any county, but there is a hell of a lot of competition at Yorkshire so as he does get older his opportunities would become more limited

Add to that the fact Ryan Sidebottom was recently appointed bowling consultant to Surrey, I can see a lot of reasons he would be attracted to such a move, and Surrey would welcome his onfield experience

I suspect he will follow the likes of Sidebottom into coaching, and may indeed return to Yorkshire in such a role at some stage

Yorkshire only offered him 1 year which is why he chose to move. I suspect a 3 year deal was the minimum that would entice him away.

Just to add through, cricketers often play on, certainly at this level, into their late 30s, and Plunkett has over recent years displayed quality in all forms of the game. I suspect he would be an asset to any county, but there is a hell of a lot of competition at Yorkshire so as he does get older his opportunities would become more limited

Add to that the fact Ryan Sidebottom was recently appointed bowling consultant to Surrey, I can see a lot of reasons he would be attracted to such a move, and Surrey would welcome his onfield experience

I suspect he will follow the likes of Sidebottom into coaching, and may indeed return to Yorkshire in such a role at some stage

Yorkshires reasoning was they wanted players who would be available. Regardless of how much the central contract pays, it makes no sense to keep a player who plays naff all domestic cricket during the year. I think they've made the right call here...which is unusual for a county board with a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot and have it ricochet up.

On a side note Adam Lyth mentioned he wouldn't mind having a crack at the IPL next year...doubt he will be called but doesn't bear thinking about if he was missing for first few weeks of the year, for all his faults, he is a very good opener for us.

Imagine having Alex Lees back as an opener :eek:

You never know with 3 years though, a player could always get dropped within one and become available to play, makes more sense than a one year contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

How about an "Is Adil Rashid crazy?" thread to get things going?

Imagine having Alex Lees back as an opener :eek:

Lees actually cracked a 60 (from 40 balls) for the 2nd XI in a T20 game earlier this week! I were shocked! :eek:

http://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#sd04a631f-3baa-4bc0-a424-e17af520b15f

Squatter wrote: »
    Lees actually cracked a 60 (from 40 balls) for the 2nd XI in a T20 game earlier this week! I were shocked! :eek:

http://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#sd04a631f-3baa-4bc0-a424-e17af520b15f

He probably had a bunch of me's bowling at him.

How about an "Is Adil Rashid crazy?" thread to get things going?
    I really hope he does not leave the club. I don't mind whether he sticks to white ball, or opens up to red-ball cricket - he's turning himself into a special player

The general point I would make about Yorkshire is they must be doing something right, with a conveyor belt of talent covering for all the absences they do suffer. Don't think anyone can complain about the quality they show whoever turns out for them

Anyway, hows about re-naming this thread the Yorkshire/English County Cricket thread?

I really hope he does not leave the club. I don't mind whether he sticks to white ball, or opens up to red-ball cricket - he's turning himself into a special player

The general point I would make about Yorkshire is they must be doing something right, with a conveyor belt of talent covering for all the absences they do suffer. Don't think anyone can complain about the quality they show whoever turns out for them

From reading the White Rose Forum, Gale appears to be the big problem there. So unless he's moved on ......................

Anyway, hows about re-naming this thread the Yorkshire/English County Cricket thread?

Fine by me - although the Lanks and Slurry supporters would probably be a bit disgruntled (which is good!).

• Advertisement

Reading JB's book at the moment incidentally.

Durham off to a good start...hope they carry it through. Backed them at 11/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Durham off to a good start...hope they carry it through. Backed them at 11/8.

Come on the Jets🀞🀞🀞

Tim Bressie had a mare today V Derby. His analysis was 1.5 - 0 - 39 - 0 :-(

His first over went for 17 and his second (incomplete) over went for 22 as Derby chased 170 and won with a ball to spare.

spud06 wrote: »
    Come on the Jets

They won easily enough, with the ageless Paul Collingwood* 40no at the end.

Fair dues to him for hanging in there after all Durham's problems.

* actually he's 42!

Just seeing Billy Root wearing the same number as his big brother, then it dawned on me - "Root 66"

* actually he's 42!

I like Durham, despite the fact their creation wiped out half of Northants recruitment options! We used to be a home for players from the North East.

I like Durham, despite the fact their creation wiped out half of Northants recruitment options! We used to be a home for players from the North East.
    Fortunately David Willey saw the light and headed up North himself....

Fortunately David Willey saw the light and headed up North himself....

Troll :pac:

He's dead to me :) , patently horse manure the reason he gave for leaving, he's no closer to test cricket now than he ever was. He went for the money, and silverware, which is understandable, if he'd have been honest that would have been more palatable. The good news is his cheerful dad still lives in Northampton.

• Advertisement

* actually he's 42!

Mental

Advertisement