Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

What coverage will TG4 have? I see them listed on a lot of the fixtures announced earlier.....

https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/fixtures/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

MJohnston wrote: »
    As I understand it Premier are launching a second channel. Premier 1 HD now displaying on Sky EPG here in N.
    Ireland. Before it was just Premier.
    Feel a bit sorry for rugby viewers in Scotland who have no FTA coverage apart from Freesports. Irish and Welsh viewers at least have TG4 and S4C.

Scottish people can freely and legally watch S4C via BBC iPlayer.

Correct as can viewers in N. Ireland but here in N. Ireland we also have TG4 via an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

nc6000 wrote: »
    What coverage will TG4 have? I see them listed on a lot of the fixtures announced earlier.....

1 game a week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zebre v Kings is the first game on Freesports...nice one...

Ulster v Scarlets and Munster v Cheetahs clash which is a shame.

Anyway some nice looking fixtures to kick the season off with Cardiff v Leinster as well. But obviously some teams will be nowhere near full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I doubt s4c will have the English commentary option now. Like tg4 it will be in the native language only I would think.

S4c couldn't have English commentary when Sky were showing the same game.

• Advertisement

with the new tv rights I'm going to miss scrum v on a sunday night on bbc 2 wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

nc6000 wrote: »

Cardiff - away - 31/8 (fri) - TG4/ Eir
    Scarlets - away - 8/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Dragons - home - 15/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Edinburgh - home - 22/9 (sat) - Eir
    Connacht - away - 29/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Munster - home - 6/10 (sat) - Eir
    Treviso - away - 27/10 (sat) - Eir
    Kings - away - 4/11 (sun)- Eir
    Ospreys - home - 23/11 (fri) - TG4/ Eir
    Dragons - away - 1/12 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Connacht - home - 22/12 (sat) - Eir
    Munster - away - 29/12 (sat) - Eir
    Ulster - home - 5/1 (sat) - Eir
    Scarlets - home - 25/1 (fri)- TG4/ Eir
    Zebre - away - 16/2 (sat) - Eir
    Kings - home - 22/2 (sat) - Eir
    Cheetahs - home 1/3 (fri)- Eir

Above TG4 games for Leinster, not so bad- 7 out of 17, will still make the switch to eir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

PMC83 wrote: »
    Cardiff - away - 31/8 (fri) - TG4/ Eir
    Scarlets - away - 8/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Dragons - home - 15/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Edinburgh - home - 22/9 (sat) - Eir
    Connacht - away - 29/9 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Munster - home - 6/10 (sat) - Eir
    Treviso - away - 27/10 (sat) - Eir
    Kings - away - 4/11 (sun)- Eir
    Ospreys - home - 23/11 (fri) - TG4/ Eir
    Dragons - away - 1/12 (sat) - TG4/ Eir
    Connacht - home - 22/12 (sat) - Eir
    Munster - away - 29/12 (sat) - Eir
    Ulster - home - 5/1 (sat) - Eir
    Scarlets - home - 25/1 (fri)- TG4/ Eir
    Zebre - away - 16/2 (sat) - Eir
    Kings - home - 22/2 (sat) - Eir
    Cheetahs - home 1/3 (fri)- Eir

Above TG4 games for Leinster, not so bad- 7 out of 17, will still make the switch to eir

Looking at Eir myself. Or possibly Sky with Eir added on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Looking at Eir myself. Or possibly Sky with Eir added on

With two small kids my watching of games is usually later in the night, so need to be able to record the matches. Streaming is all well and good if its a 7.35 match, but particularly with Leinster last year there was a lot of afternoon games. Just didn't suit!

and further to that the misses isnt too happy that Virgin pulled dave without telling anyway, a channel she watches a lot. Decision made!

Also worth considering is just getting e vision installed if you can - as the basic tv package is €15 extra on top of your bb and phone package which includes the eir sport package in HD

• Advertisement

kooga wrote: »
    I suppose with regard to FTA on these islands

TG4 for Ireland
    S4C/Freesports for the UK
    with regard to TG4 being available in NI I wonder on sky and virgin will the games be geo blocked

I suppose they went with S4c over BBC Alba for possibly two reasons

S4c available in HD
    S4c English commentary on the red button

In addition TG4 HD is available on eir vision at no extra cost i.e on the €15 pm eir essential pack (plus eir sport 1 and 2 HD included in that price as well)

I would highly doubt that TG4 matches would be geo blocked on Sky/Virgin/Freeview in NI. AFAIK TG4 never has geo blocking in NI and this is largely due to GFA which guaranteed Irish language broadcasting for the whole of the island. When Irish Pro 12/Pro 14 derbies were simulcast on both Sky Sports and TG4, geo blocking did not take place so I cannot see it taking place now.
    My only question for viewers in N. ireland is this - at present if you subscribe to Premier Sports you get Premier Sports and Eir Sports 1. Now that Premier Sports are about to launch a second channel will this second channel be available to N. Ireland subscribers in place of Eir Sport 1 or in addition to it?

I would highly doubt that TG4 matches would be geo blocked on Sky/Virgin/Freeview in NI. AFAIK TG4 never has geo blocking in NI and this is largely due to GFA which guaranteed Irish language broadcasting for the whole of the island. When Irish Pro 12/Pro 14 derbies were simulcast on both Sky Sports and TG4, geo blocking did not take place so I cannot see it taking place now.
    My only question for viewers in N. ireland is this - at present if you subscribe to Premier Sports you get Premier Sports and Eir Sports 1. Now that Premier Sports are about to launch a second channel will this second channel be available to N. Ireland subscribers in place of Eir Sport 1 or in addition to it?

I may be wrong I don't think eir sport 1 was ever available in NI

With regard to Geo blocking I have virgin media in belfast and last Feb the Ulster v Edinburgh game was not available to me to watch on tg 4
    We will just have to wait and see

I may be wrong I don't think eir sport 1 was ever available in NI

With regard to Geo blocking I have virgin media in belfast and last Feb the Ulster v Edinburgh game was not available to me to watch on tg 4
    We will just have to wait and see

Regarding Eir Sport 1 I do not subscribe but it appears on the Sky epg.
    Thanks for this info re geo blocking on Virgin media. . In light of this, I have the feeling that only Virgin Media geo block TG4 and not Sky or Freeview as I have TG4 on both the latter and I have not experienced this yet.
    Can I just say that TG4 is easily receivable via Freeview in the Belfast area as it broadcasts from both Black Mountain and Carnmoney. Only small issue is that you need a TV/DTT box/PVR with inbuilt Freeview HD tuner to get it.

Regarding Eir Sport 1 I do not subscribe but it appears on the Sky epg.
    Thanks for this info re geo blocking on Virgin media. . In light of this, I have the feeling that only Virgin Media geo block TG4 and not Sky or Freeview as I have TG4 on both the latter and I have not experienced this yet.
    Can I just say that TG4 is easily receivable via Freeview in the Belfast area as it broadcasts from both Black Mountain and Carnmoney. Only small issue is that you need a TV/DTT box/PVR with inbuilt Freeview HD tuner to get it.[/quote
    I haven't put up an aerial - I just have the basic tv package with virgin as RTÉ 1 2 and tg 4 are on it - BB on its own was £33 pm v bb and tv was £29 pm - when my offer expires with virgin will get an aerial for freeview and Saorview and just take the one off install hit. Thanks again

i haven't checked whether the two months free premier sports has come on my virgin package in lieu of the loss of the U.K. tv channels

I see someone mentioned on one of the broadband threads that eir are about to announce truly unlimited broadband for both fttc and ftth. Great news if true as I was worried that with streaming the matches I would go over the 1tb allowance.

I wonder will eirsports launch a catchup streaming service for these matches just like eurosport has for its content?

Catchup tv has grown hugely and providers need to supply solutions.

Just to say that Saorview as you are probably aware will ensure no geo blocking on any channel (important for coverage of Ireland's AI's in November) and if I'm right coverage of at least one CC game live per pool stage which is now to be shown on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's an edit post button, you know

First month TG4 coverage - two games per weekend

31.08.18 @ 7.35pm Live Cardiff Blues v Leinster
    01.09.18 @ 3.00pm Live Connacht v Glasgow Warriors
    08.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Zebre
    08.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Scarlets v Leinster
    14.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Munster v Ospreys
    15.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Leinster v Dragons
    21.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Cardiff Blues v Munster
    22.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Scarlets
    29.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Leinster

I had a look at the S4c coverage and Freesports coverage and they have a game each every weekend FTA

so all in all 4 games out of 7 per weekend FTA

First month TG4 coverage - two games per weekend

31.08.18 @ 7.35pm Live Cardiff Blues v Leinster
    01.09.18 @ 3.00pm Live Connacht v Glasgow Warriors
    08.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Zebre
    08.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Scarlets v Leinster
    14.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Munster v Ospreys
    15.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Leinster v Dragons
    21.09.18 @ 7.35pm Live Cardiff Blues v Munster
    22.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Scarlets
    29.09.18 @ 5.15pm Live Connacht v Leinster

I had a look at the S4c coverage and Freesports coverage and they have a game each every weekend FTA

so all in all 4 games out of 7 per weekend FTA

Are the S4C and Freesports games always going to be different to the TG4 ones though?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are the S4C and Freesports games always going to be different to the TG4 ones though?

From a quick trawl of the broadcast fixtures up till march there are only three FTA duplicates broadcasts on s4c and tg4

3/11 con v dragons
    26 /1 Cardiff v con
    2/3 scarlets v munster

so overall the FTA coverage is extensive

• Advertisement

With TG4/S4C and Freesports covering at least one match per weekend I wonder how many will stomp up £9.99 per month in UK for Premier Sports package? Problem for viewers in N.I. is lack of Ulster home games on these FTA channels and so some will no doubt bite the bullet and pay. I already subscribe to Sky Sports/BT Sport so this is a big ask.

the 9 month season would cost you £90 there is an annual pass for £99 from premier

just to say there will be no English commentary on S4C via the red button

the 9 month season would cost you £90 there is an annual pass for £99 from premier

just to say there will be no English commentary on S4C via the red button
    I do not mind Welsh language commentary or Irish language in any way but if I do end up subscribing to Premier I will probably watch their coverage over S4C's or TG4's.

Anyone heard anything about which Pro14 games Rugbypass will have access to?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FTA games in Ireland until Christmas (there are two weeks with no FTA game).

Cardiff v Leinster
    Scarlets v Leinster
    Munster v Ospreys
    Leinster v Dragons
    Cardiff v Munster
    Connacht v Scarlets
    Connacht v Leinster
    Ospreys v Connacht
    Connacht v Dragons
    Leinster v Ospreys
    Dragons v Leinster
    Connacht v Ulster

Leinster x 6, Munster x 2, Connacht x 5, Ulster x 1.

In the UK, Ulster are never on Freesports, but they are on S4C once and BBC Alba twice.

Basically Ulster fans without Premier Sports won't ever get to see Ulster in English before Christmas at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

If you have eir broadband only and therefore access to the Eir App with casting, is there any way to record games to watch later? The app doesn't seem to allow it but is there a workaround? I have an all-in-one PC that has an input and output HDMI if that helps.

awec wrote: »
    FTA games in Ireland until Christmas (there are two weeks with no FTA game).

Cardiff v Leinster
    Scarlets v Leinster
    Munster v Ospreys
    Leinster v Dragons
    Cardiff v Munster
    Connacht v Scarlets
    Connacht v Leinster
    Ospreys v Connacht
    Connacht v Dragons
    Leinster v Ospreys
    Dragons v Leinster
    Connacht v Ulster

Leinster x 6, Munster x 2, Connacht x 5, Ulster x 1.

In the UK, Ulster are never on Freesports, but they are on S4C once and BBC Alba twice.

Basically Ulster fans without Premier Sports won't ever get to see Ulster in English before Christmas at least.

Is this a combined tg4 s4c freesports list

Where did you get BBC alba - are they now onboard?

Is this a combined tg4 s4c freesports list

Where did you get BBC alba - are they now onboard?
    I only took TG4 as that's the only channel everyone in Ireland can get.

It was on the Pro14 site.

Here are the tv fixtures.
    Going by the above eirsports aren't listed for all games and some games only have Premier Sports as the broadcaster. I presume it is an oversight.

• Advertisement

I see Premier Sports have outsourced the production of all their games to another company called Sunset and Vine. Same lads who do the Premier League for BT.

Advertisement