Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

finbarrk wrote: »
    Will the IRFU Supporters Club get some I wonder?
    No dont think they get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No issues paying

Got tickets for both Tokyo QFs but none for SFs

Will keep trying. At least now we can start making real plans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I must have gotten really lucky. Applied for the 2 tickets for each of the 4 group games and the QF we are likely to be in. Ended up getting tickets for all but the Japan match.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Thanks for the input guys - still haven't been able to make payment. The 'make payment' button has disappeared.

From doing some searches - they had issues with this for the last round too. They say to contact your bank as well as contacting their support. Something to do with security. (https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/03/ee705fb8f45e-rugby-organizing-committee-dealing-with-rwc-ticket-teething-problems.html)

Still on hold with the bank. And their support is in a distant timezone so don't see this being sorted out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Just to let people know that it's worth checking the website continuously when they go on general sale. Tickets get returned all the time, especially during the competition. For RWC2015, I got tickets to every Irish match, both QF's Ireland could have been in, both SF's and the Final through living on the website. If you set up a group of friends to continually check, you're likely to get all the matches you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just to let people know that it's worth checking the website continuously when they go on general sale. Tickets get returned all the time, especially during the competition. For RWC2015, I got tickets to every Irish match, both QF's Ireland could have been in, both SF's and the Final through living on the website. If you set up a group of friends to continually check, you're likely to get all the matches you want.

I'll do this. Although to be honest, the 3rd and 4th place game will probably be readily available and cheap. I won't be there for the quarter. So the final is what it's all about for me.

matrim wrote: »
    I must have gotten really lucky. Applied for the 2 tickets for each of the 4 group games and the QF we are likely to be in. Ended up getting tickets for all but the Japan match.

Personally I think there will be no issue getting tickets other than Japan game, semi and final

The stadiums are good size for most games and we are not gonna see huge numbers travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

Riskymove wrote: »
    Personally I think there will be no issue getting tickets other than Japan game, semi and final

The stadiums are good size for most games and we are not gonna see huge numbers travelling

yea i think when it comes down to it, a lot of those who have been successful with ticket applications, will decide not to go when it comes to paying for flights and accommodation etc. Although, I believe there is huge numbers of Irish expected to travel as many are our looking at this as their once in a lifetime trip,

wexfordhun wrote: »

yea i think when it comes down to it, a lot of those who have been successful with ticket applications, will decide not to go when it comes to paying for flights and accommodation etc. Although, I believe there is huge numbers of Irish expected to travel as many are our looking at this as their once in a lifetime trip,

Yeah. I just spent €800 on two tickets to a single match. This is definitely once in a lifetime for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I think there'll be a huge crowd travelling, like were heading to 3 games, its a once in a lifetime expereicne to do it.. and we know a good few others form limerick heading!

Does any of ye know when on thursday is our cut off for buying?

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I think there'll be a huge crowd travelling, like were heading to 3 games, its a once in a lifetime expereicne to do it.. and we know a good few others form limerick heading!

Does any of ye know when on thursday is our cut off for buying?
    What do you see as a huge crowd?
    Wont be anything near the numbers of irish in New Zealand in 2011.
    Yes its once in a lifetime but costs of Japan are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

What do you see as a huge crowd?
    Wont be anything near the numbers of irish in New Zealand in 2011.
    Yes its once in a lifetime but costs of Japan are so expensive.

Because like Benny, everyone i seem to talk to wants to book whatever the cost and because confidence in the team has never been so High.
    Might not be close to attendance numbers in Nz but will have much more people travelling for it.
    I do think Scotland and Japan will be sell outs as well as the 1/4 finals. Remember, the Irish, Scottish, South Africans and Kiwis will be looking to but 1/4 final 2 and 4 tickets just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Thanks for the input guys - still haven't been able to make payment. The 'make payment' button has disappeared.

Just an update if anyone has the same issue - came back 24 hours later and the payment button had reappeared, it all worked fine this time.

On to planning! Tried to look for accommodation in Kobe for the Ireland game there, but there is nada available - anyone any thoughts on whether it's already booked solid or too far out for rooms to be released?

I was in New Zealand for 2011 and do expect a lot to travel for this. However there seems to be a sense that lots of tickets will become available through ticket exchange very close to the matches.

Re: the payment window if you got tickets in the ballot, it says on the email
    "You have until 23:30 (JST) on Thursday, 19 July 2018 to pay for your tickets" - which is (according to Google) 15:30 on Thursday. However, I'd say to try to not leave it to the last minute - as lots of people are reporting problems paying (including me.)

Just an update if anyone has the same issue - came back 24 hours later and the payment button had reappeared, it all worked fine this time.

On to planning! Tried to look for accommodation in Kobe for the Ireland game there, but there is nada available - anyone any thoughts on whether it's already booked solid or too far out for rooms to be released?

I was in New Zealand for 2011 and do expect a lot to travel for this. However there seems to be a sense that lots of tickets will become available through ticket exchange very close to the matches.

Re: the payment window if you got tickets in the ballot, it says on the email
    "You have until 23:30 (JST) on Thursday, 19 July 2018 to pay for your tickets" - which is (according to Google) 15:30 on Thursday. However, I'd say to try to not leave it to the last minute - as lots of people are reporting problems paying (including me.)

It's probably way too far out, I've managed to book a hotel the night of the semi final but haven't tried anymore until I've booked my flights and set the dates in stone. Try Airbnb though.

wexfordhun wrote: »
    Because like Benny, everyone i seem to talk to wants to book whatever the cost and because confidence in the team has never been so High.
    Might not be close to attendance numbers in Nz but will have much more people travelling for it.
    I do think Scotland and Japan will be sell outs as well as the 1/4 finals. Remember, the Irish, Scottish, South Africans and Kiwis will be looking to but 1/4 final 2 and 4 tickets just incase.
    There still wont be more irish in Japan than was in New Zealand.

Do you reckon the partners will be worth a ****? I'm looking at my flight options and although I can't buy yet, I wonder if the Emirates sponsorship will tie into any deals for ticketholders?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There still wont be more irish in Japan than was in New Zealand.
    The NZ RWC was in the depths of the recession. There'll be more people now that would have the wherewithal to travel to Japan. They've already exceeded their plan for tickets sold.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The NZ RWC was in the depths of the recession. There'll be more people now that would have the wherewithal to travel to Japan. They've already exceeded their plan for tickets sold.

Huge is relative I guess. I expect people will want to go but few will spend the 6 weeks there. I'd expect they will travel for part only so that splits demand too

Around 7500 travelled to NZ

Even if 10000 or 15000 travelled (which I doubt) The stadium for QF is over 50000 capacity

The stadium for Scotland game is over 70000

I think smallest is 30000

You need to look at it in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Huge is relative I guess. I expect people will want to go but few will spend the 6 weeks there. I'd expect they will travel for part only so that splits demand too

Around 7500 travelled to NZ

Even if 10000 or 15000 travelled (which I doubt) The stadium for QF is over 50000 capacity

The stadium for Scotland game is over 70000

I think smallest is 30000

You need to look at it in that context
    I never said it would be huge numbers. I just took issue with TLS saying the numbers would be less than went to NZ in 2011. Which from the above, I assume you agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Samoa confirmed in Ireland's RWC pool.

"Samoa will complete Ireland’s Pool A at next year’s Rugby World Cup as they eased to victory over Germany in Heidelberg on Saturday.

The 14-point victory in the second leg of the Oceania/Europe playoff, combined with the 66-15 first leg win in Apia, confirmed a 108-43 aggregate win and a place in Pool A alongside Ireland, Scotland, Japan and Russia.

Germany, 12 places behind their opponents in the World Rugby rankings, will participate in the repechage in Marseille in November with Canada, Hong Kong and the Rugby Africa Gold cup runner-up."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/samoa-complete-ireland-s-rugby-world-cup-pool-1.3565576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I just hope Ireland don't make the same stupid mistake they made in other World Cup years, of going gung-ho for the Six Nations championship while England and France sit back and let Ireland ship multiple injuries. FFS let Italy win the 2019 Six Nations.

feargale wrote: »
    I just hope Ireland don't make the same stupid mistake they made in other World Cup years, of going gung-ho for the Six Nations championship while England and France sit back and let Ireland ship multiple injuries. FFS let Italy win the 2019 Six Nations.

You want to go into the World Cup with some momentum. But they won't go for the slam. If they have it sewn up after four games like this year, they won't bother fielding a full team in the last game for the sake of a slam. It's not worth it.

The only Northern Hemisphere team to win the Rugby World cup won the Grand slam in the same season.

I think we need to fine tune whatever residual questions we have about the squad and probably start Carbery against Italy and maybe Scotland but otherwise I'd expect us to approach the tournament in the same way we approached this years tournament.

I'd be more concerned about a bulk of the squad being involved in the knock out stages of the Heineken cup and Pro14 than any hangovers from the Six Nations.

Like when exactly? England before they won the world cup in 2003 won a grand slam which is one of only 2 grand slams the english have won in 20 years.
    troyzer wrote: »
    You want to go into the World Cup with some momentum. But they won't go for the slam. If they have it sewn up after four games like this year, they won't bother fielding a full team in the last game for the sake of a slam. It's not worth it.
    i dont see us treating 6 nations like that. We may look more at squad players but it wont be as simple as that.
    The only Northern Hemisphere team to win the Rugby World cup won the Grand slam in the same season.

I think we need to fine tune whatever residual questions we have about the squad and probably start Carbery against Italy and maybe Scotland but otherwise I'd expect us to approach the tournament in the same way we approached this years tournament.

I'd be more concerned about a bulk of the squad being involved in the knock out stages of the Heineken cup and Pro14 than any hangovers from the Six Nations.
    Id totally agree with this.
    Sorting out the squad especially key positions like 10 and giving Sexton a rest in irish game to try out alternatives is most important and end of the provincial season would be more of a concern as injuries there would likely have more impact on the world cup prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You can’t wrap players in cotton wool, they need to playing and they need to be playing at as high a level as possible. There is an inherent risk anytime a player trains or plays a game that can’t be mitigated. Players are just as likely to get injured in a meaningless warm up game. Playing and winning every game possible would be the best preparation for the team. Their game time will be managed throughout the season to optimize them for the World Cup. That won’t include international or important club fixtures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Got tickets for one of the semi finals but the only trouble is that its semi final 2 - which is the winners of QF3 and QF4. I would expect Ireland to be in QF1 which means I have the wrong semi.

Will there be any issue in swapping these do you think either before or if (still a big if) and when we get out there??

arrowman wrote: »
    Got tickets for one of the semi finals but the only trouble is that its semi final 2 - which is the winners of QF3 and QF4. I would expect Ireland to be in QF1 which means I have the wrong semi.

Will there be any issue in swapping these do you think either before or if (still a big if) and when we get out there??

I'm planning on latching onto the first Rugby pub I see and make some contacts with like minded individuals supporting the opposite side of the bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

arrowman wrote: »

I have SF 2 aswell, fully expect us to win the group, which puts us into SF2 then!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I have SF 2 aswell, fully expect us to win the group, which puts us into SF2 then!

Oh yeah, I just noticed this. I'm semi final 2 as well. Assuming Ireland wins the group (they should) this is the right side of the bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Yes I was assuming that Ireland would top pool A and had picked my SF to suit but then I saw this on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup#Final

That seems to suggest the winners of pool A will be in SF1??

Advertisement