Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-10-2018, 18:46   #46
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzungu View Post
I'm kinda fascinated by this. What does your friend feed him? Does he need acres of roaming space etc?
I'll ask him.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-10-2018, 23:25   #47
mzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
I'll ask him.
Thank you
06-02-2019, 22:33   #48
Ardillaun

We’ll have to wait for the farmers to die out first.
18-06-2019, 18:50   #49
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
Question? Can you import a wolf as a pet in Ireland? Restrictions?

I would imagine so. To have a wolf as a pet would require loads of space and they would be really difficult to train.

It is only a few years ago as I was driving in an area that was vast acres of forestry that a wolf ran across the narrow lane ahead of me.
When i asked my landlord, a local man, he looked at the ground and admitted that a man nearby had a wolf and sometimes let it roam.

I asked a govt official, and yes, it is allowed, but they have to be licensed and are not allowed to roam.
He had good space where he lived but... I never saw it again so word will have got back to him.

also many years ago here on boards, there was talk of someone in Leitrim literally living with wolves, but no exact location was given.

On the same theme a couple of weeks ago there was a news item re a large black catlike critter running loose and it may just be a matter of time before escapees from private collections in a wild area ...
18-06-2019, 18:53   #50
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
Well, you'd need some sheep or such to be on the island But, probably way to small an area for a wolf.
surely wolves can swim?
Advertisement
Today, 12:23   #51
LionelNashe

Here's an article about reintroducing a small number of bears and wolves in an enclosed forest in the UK.

Quote:
Native bears and wolves will live side by side for the first time in more than 1,000 years in a patch of ancient British woodland.

European brown bears, which are thought to have disappeared in the Middle Ages, will roam beside grey wolves, the last of which were hunted to extinction in the 17th century, in a wood near Bristol.

The project, called Bear Wood, will give visitors the chance to see how these animals would have coexisted in the woodland that used to cover much of Britain.
If we had a large area of enclosed forest, which I presume we don't, that might be a way to do it.
Today, 12:55   #52
carrollsno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelNashe View Post
Here's an article about reintroducing a small number of bears and wolves in an enclosed forest in the UK.

If we had a large area of enclosed forest, which I presume we don't, that might be a way to do it.
10,000 sq metres the article says. That is not a large area of enclosed forest that is only 1 hectare or 2.471 acres in farming terms you would stock two and a half cows to that on a well run system.
Today, 18:47   #53
LionelNashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollsno1 View Post
10,000 sq metres the article says. That is not a large area of enclosed forest that is only 1 hectare or 2.471 acres in farming terms you would stock two and a half cows to that on a well run system.
Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. 10,000 sq meters doesn't seem like enough to me, even for a couple of bears and wolves. The African Plains in Dublin Zoo is 13 hectares.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion